Re: A70 exposure latitude

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary Fritz, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    Gary Fritz <> wrote:
    > Does the A70 have a really narrow range, or am I doing something
    > wrong, or what?

    No one has a comment on this? I'd really like to understand this!
    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Apr 5, 2004

  2. >> Does the A70 have a really narrow range, or am I doing something
    >> wrong, or what?

    >No one has a comment on this? I'd really like to understand this!

    There are probably a relatively small number of readers with an A70, to
    start with.

    Most small-sensor digicams, and that includes the A70, have a useful
    scene brightness range that is rather like colour slide film. They are
    not able to capture a range like colour negative and still preserve
    image information. The high end is particularly bad: brightness beyond
    some upper limit is at best clipped abruptly, or at worst it actually
    spills into and contaminates nearby pixels.

    So there are plenty of real-world scenes that can exceed the ability of
    the camera to capture everything. Does the A70 have a histogram display
    for the just-taken image (the A80 does)? If so, what does the histogram
    look like for one of these images? Is it impossible to get all the
    scene content within the bounds of the histogram (it might be).

    One way to capture more scene intensity range: turn down the camera's
    contrast setting to its minimum. You can always boost contrast later
    during editing if you want.

    If you're shooting from a tripod, you can shoot multiple shots separated
    by a stop or 2 in exposure, then combine the separate exposures later in
    your image editor. This is potentially a lot of work.

    (Of course, shooting RAW would be better, but the A70 doesn't do that).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Gary Fritz

    Gary Fritz Guest

    (Dave Martindale) wrote:
    > So there are plenty of real-world scenes that can exceed the
    > ability of the camera to capture everything. Does the A70 have a
    > histogram display for the just-taken image (the A80 does)?

    Nope, fraid not.

    > (Of course, shooting RAW would be better, but the A70 doesn't do
    > that).

    Yes, I didn't understand the RAW vs. JPG issues when I got the A70.
    Next digicam will have a RAW option, for sure.

    Gary

    Gary Fritz, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Gary Fritz

    Henry McEwin Guest

    A70 has been the best selling camera in Canon's history. Hard to believe
    there are so few participants on the board.

    Henry McEwin, Apr 9, 2004