    around, somehow, it mysteriously reappears.""

    Create a very restricted Group Policy.... They cant
    install if they dont have the permissions to do so.

    Guest, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Guest

    Demous Guest

    Yeah, that's a great idea in theory, but the problem is
    there are still ways around it. Some messenger
    alternatives don't need any kind of permission to be
    installed; they only need to have access to the internet.
    Others, can be installed on any user permissions, not
    requiring admin rights either.

    Just my 2 cents

    (btw, on an unrelated matter to one of the posts earlier
    in this thread... ".02 cents" is actually two
    onehundredths of a cent ... sorry, I know, I'm anal, but I
    had to."

    Demous, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    >Create a very restricted Group Policy.... They cant
    >install if they dont have the permissions to do so.

    Here is a perfect example of someone that only knows the
    textbook solution of a problem.

    In the real world, restricting users from doing one thing
    non-job related sometimes keeps them from being able to do
    something they need to do that IS job related.

    I work for a VERY large company (30,000+ users) and they
    dont even friggin require users to change passwords on a
    regular basis (my boss has been working here for 8 years
    and still has the same password since day 1). Maybe that
    is because they would have to have about 20 more people
    working day and night to be available to reset user
    passwords becasue they forgot it!

    Users are idiots, plain and simple....except when it comes
    to installing IM programs, games, porn...

    Keep one thing in mind also... I work for a group of well
    know hospitals in the Boston area and they don't even
    require strong password protection... so much for secure
    medical information...

    Guest, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    have had the same password for the mainframe system for
    seven years.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    >Create a very restricted Group Policy.... They cant
    >install if they dont have the permissions to do so.

    YOU try creating a "very restricted Group Policy" that
    doesn't break other apps of make things more difficult
    (for the users and the admin).

    In the "real world," it doesn't work like that. If I
    followed every little fix the MBSA told me to tweak in the
    Registry to stop the thing from telling me all my servers
    and desktops were potentailly vulnerable, stuff would
    break.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    >>Must be a hospital thing. Even with HIPPA in place, I
    >have had the same password for the mainframe system for
    >seven years.

    I think it is time to contact 20/20 or 60 Minutes and see
    what they can dig up about this hospital crap.

    I do NOT feel same with any of my info now....

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Coming from a dummy with no certifications...If you want
    to stop instant messenger programs from being installed
    why dont you go to internet properties and restrict use
    of the very sites they come from?!?!?!?!?!? Still the
    setup program could be put on cd, but the majority of
    your desktop dummies are not going to think of this.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2004