Re: A quick question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Geoff, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    wrote:
    > You just installed a new sound card and drivers on a Windows NT 4.0
    > machine. When you reboot the machine, it locks up at the logon screen.
    > You take the cover off and remove the sound card, but it still locks
    > at boot up.
    >
    > What is the first thing you should do?
    >
    > A Boot to safe mode and remove the drivers.
    > B Boot to command prompt only and remove the drivers by hand.
    > C Use the ERD to repair the NT installation
    > D Press the space bar to enter the last known good configuration page.
    > E Re run the NT setup program and install NT to a different folder.

    i'd say D, in real life, i'd do A
    :)
    i don't like last known good, once i set something up, i don't go over it
    again, it's a pain

    Geoff, Aug 26, 2003

  2. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:44:28 -0700, "Geoff" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> You just installed a new sound card and drivers on a Windows NT 4.0
    >> machine. When you reboot the machine, it locks up at the logon screen.
    >> You take the cover off and remove the sound card, but it still locks
    >> at boot up.
    >>
    >> What is the first thing you should do?
    >>
    >> A Boot to safe mode and remove the drivers.
    >> B Boot to command prompt only and remove the drivers by hand.
    >> C Use the ERD to repair the NT installation
    >> D Press the space bar to enter the last known good configuration page.
    >> E Re run the NT setup program and install NT to a different folder.

    >i'd say D, in real life, i'd do A
    >:)

    Except there IS no safe mode in NT4

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    mhaase-at-springmind.com wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:44:28 -0700, "Geoff" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> You just installed a new sound card and drivers on a Windows NT 4.0
    >>> machine. When you reboot the machine, it locks up at the logon
    >>> screen. You take the cover off and remove the sound card, but it
    >>> still locks at boot up.
    >>>
    >>> What is the first thing you should do?
    >>>
    >>> A Boot to safe mode and remove the drivers.
    >>> B Boot to command prompt only and remove the drivers by hand.
    >>> C Use the ERD to repair the NT installation
    >>> D Press the space bar to enter the last known good configuration
    >>> page. E Re run the NT setup program and install NT to a different
    >>> folder.

    >> i'd say D, in real life, i'd do A
    >> :)

    > Except there IS no safe mode in NT4

    mmm, years since i used it
    does it havea VGA only mode or something ?
    i forget

    Geoff, Aug 27, 2003
  4. On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:57:21 -0700, "Geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >mhaase-at-springmind.com wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:44:28 -0700, "Geoff" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> i'd say D, in real life, i'd do A
    >>> :)

    >> Except there IS no safe mode in NT4

    >mmm, years since i used it
    >does it havea VGA only mode or something ?
    >i forget

    Yup....VGA only mode. It's usually a choice within the BOOT.INI file
    (with the "/sos" option). It also dispays everything it's

    A "Safe Mode" would have been nice...but that would make it too easy
    <g>.

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Aug 27, 2003