Re: a+ QUESTION

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by WW, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. WW

    WW Guest

    AGP is a 32-bit wide bus, running at 66Mhz.

    AGP1x is single-clocked to give 4bytes x 66Mhz = 266MB/sec

    AGP 2x is "double-clocked" (ie 2 data transfers per clock cycle) to give
    twice this data rate ie. 533MHz

    4x, 8x double the rate again to give 1066MHz, and 2133Mhz respectively.

    WW, Feb 16, 2006

  2. WW

    John O Guest

    > AGP is a 32-bit wide bus, running at 66Mhz.
    >
    > AGP1x is single-clocked to give 4bytes x 66Mhz = 266MB/sec
    >
    > AGP 2x is "double-clocked" (ie 2 data transfers per clock cycle) to give
    > twice this data rate ie. 533MHz
    >
    > 4x, 8x double the rate again to give 1066MHz, and 2133Mhz respectively.

    Serious question....how does this knowledge help the service/support tech?

    -John O
    John O, Feb 16, 2006

  3. WW

    smackedass Guest

    > Serious question....how does this knowledge help the service/support tech?
    >
    > -John O

    Because

    1) you'd look like an ass if a customer knew more about it than you did and
    had a question about it,

    2) you may have to know a particular AGP card's compatability capabilities
    with regard to software/hardware/firmware, and

    3) it's essential that technicians have at least a basic understanding of
    the technologies that they (presumably) make their living off of.

    Off the top of my head.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 16, 2006
  4. WW

    smackedass Guest

    > i still stand by my views that the exam need an overhaul though .....

    I took the A+ back in 2000. Even then, there were all kinds of questions
    about DOS and Windows 3.1 that were very rarely applicable in the "real
    world". I don't even know, how many times has the test changed since then?
    At least once, maybe twice? I'm going to assume, that since the "real
    world" cannot be emulated in the form of a test, there have to be some
    (most?) questions that have to be answerable in multiple-choice format, even
    if they're hardly relevant. Hence, the exam will probably always seem like
    it needs an overhaul...until it can be conducted in a more "virtual" format.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 17, 2006
  5. WW

    SBFan2000 Guest

    took it in 2004 and I don't remember there being any dos questions, if ther
    were any it was only one or two.

    SBFan2000, Feb 17, 2006
  6. WW

    smackedass Guest

    > took it in 2004 and I don't remember there being any dos questions, if
    > ther
    > were any it was only one or two.

    Thank God they've gotten past that. But, like I said, I took it in 2000,
    even then, DOS knowledge had limited relevance.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 17, 2006
  7. On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:02:34 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >> took it in 2004 and I don't remember there being any dos questions, if
    >> ther
    >> were any it was only one or two.

    >Thank God they've gotten past that. But, like I said, I took it in 2000,
    >even then, DOS knowledge had limited relevance.
    >
    >smackedass

    It's good to know it, though...I tested in 2000 also, the betas.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 17, 2006