Re: A question on BIOS

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by John O, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. John O

    John O Guest

    >My problem is, when
    > my PC loads it does not show all of the load up process, it just shows the
    > Dell emblem as it is loading. Is there another way to access the BIOS?

    That's the "fast boot." In some cases you can get at the details by hitting
    the escape key as the screen comes up. In most BIOS' you can turn this
    screen off, and even force the BIOS to go through the longer memory test. An
    Emanuel noted, this screen does not prevent you from accessing BIOS at all.

    Each motherboard manufacturer does this screen just a bit different, and the
    big names (Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba, Sony, IBM, etc) have a different way
    of describing the same things.

    -John O

    John O, Apr 29, 2005

  2. John O

    Jason Guest

    Different manufacturers program different Function keys to access the BIOS.
    Typically, BIOS access keys are one of the following: F1, F2, F10, F12,
    Esc, INS, or DEL

    An excellent resource for practially any BIOS questions, (and I do mean ANY
    questions), is here:
    http://bioscentral.com/

    Good luck and happy surfing!

    Jason, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Or in the case of some older Compaq desktops, CTRL+SHIFT+S

    Jarrette Smith, Apr 29, 2005
  4. John O

    Jason Guest

    Oh my gosh...talk about old school! I hadn't been on one of those type
    compaq's in ages....which generation was that? For some reason the 386/486
    generation is sticking in my head, but that doesn't seem right.

    Jason, Apr 29, 2005