Re: A question about Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    nemo wrote:

    > I know it's a bit early to ask but does anyone know whether it's possible
    > to ditch all the memory-guzzling 3D display gimmicks in Vista and just
    > have it look like the standard interface and desktop with the old bog
    > standard WIN95/98 "Classic Settings" type windows and folders etc.?
    >
    > The pic on the BBC news website showing folders being displayed in 3D and
    > spaced out at 45° filled me with horror! :eek:)
    >
    > If the answer's no, sorry, Mr. Gates. You can stuff it!
    >
    > The way I've got this PC set up I don't even have the graduated colours
    > along the tops of the windows and use List as the standard display option
    > for folders. To me, it's a piece of technical gear, not a toy.
    >
    > I'll be getting a new PC in a few weeks time when my pension and gratuity
    > come through and if Vista means I've got to put up with even more childish
    > gimmicks than XP, I'll go for XP - anlthough even that seems to be pretty
    > bad already.
    >
    > I had a go of a PC with XP on a course and I couldn't even use Start >
    > Find without there being a stupid red cartoon bloodhound there. Pathetic.
    >
    > Nemo.

    If you want a superior product over Vista, consider Linux (Ubuntu or SuSE).

    Linux provides the best user experience for your computer and provides the
    best platform for performance, security, and reliability. One of the
    biggest advantages of Linux and the KDE desktop environment is that it is
    highly customizable and is extremely user-friendly.

    One way to try Linux out is to download a "Live CD" that will allow you to
    boot Linux with your current hardware without installing or making any
    modifications to your present configuration.

    http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
    http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

    Au79, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Au79

    nemo Guest

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    > nemo wrote:
    >
    > > I know it's a bit early to ask but does anyone know whether it's

    possible
    > > to ditch all the memory-guzzling 3D display gimmicks in Vista and just
    > > have it look like the standard interface and desktop with the old bog
    > > standard WIN95/98 "Classic Settings" type windows and folders etc.?
    > >
    > > The pic on the BBC news website showing folders being displayed in 3D

    and
    > > spaced out at 45 filled me with horror! :eek:)
    > >
    > > If the answer's no, sorry, Mr. Gates. You can stuff it!
    > >
    > > The way I've got this PC set up I don't even have the graduated colours
    > > along the tops of the windows and use List as the standard display

    option
    > > for folders. To me, it's a piece of technical gear, not a toy.
    > >
    > > I'll be getting a new PC in a few weeks time when my pension and

    gratuity
    > > come through and if Vista means I've got to put up with even more

    childish
    > > gimmicks than XP, I'll go for XP - anlthough even that seems to be

    pretty
    > > bad already.
    > >
    > > I had a go of a PC with XP on a course and I couldn't even use Start >
    > > Find without there being a stupid red cartoon bloodhound there.

    Pathetic.

    > > Nemo.

    > If you want a superior product over Vista, consider Linux (Ubuntu or

    SuSE).

    > Linux provides the best user experience for your computer and provides the
    > best platform for performance, security, and reliability. One of the
    > biggest advantages of Linux and the KDE desktop environment is that it is
    > highly customizable and is extremely user-friendly.
    >
    > One way to try Linux out is to download a "Live CD" that will allow you to
    > boot Linux with your current hardware without installing or making any
    > modifications to your present configuration.

    Many thanks.

    I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support software
    such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both essential), Bryce
    and Poser though?
    Nemo

    nemo, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Au79

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:03:16 +0000, nemo wrote:

    > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support software
    > such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both essential), Bryce
    > and Poser though?

    Look for a product called "Crossover", it permits users to run MS Office
    on their Linux machine. I don't know how it does with the other apps.

    *** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
    website ***
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/mpv.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/wtcpcb.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/cracks.htm ,
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/Loutheasshole.htm
    All while spamming his company website at: http://www.seedsv.com

    Leythos, Jan 30, 2007
  4. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:03:16 +0000, nemo wrote:

    > "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >> nemo wrote:
    >>
    >> > I know it's a bit early to ask but does anyone know whether it's

    > possible
    >> > to ditch all the memory-guzzling 3D display gimmicks in Vista and just
    >> > have it look like the standard interface and desktop with the old bog
    >> > standard WIN95/98 "Classic Settings" type windows and folders etc.?
    >> >
    >> > The pic on the BBC news website showing folders being displayed in 3D

    > and
    >> > spaced out at 45 filled me with horror! :eek:)
    >> >
    >> > If the answer's no, sorry, Mr. Gates. You can stuff it!
    >> >
    >> > The way I've got this PC set up I don't even have the graduated
    >> > colours along the tops of the windows and use List as the standard
    >> > display

    > option
    >> > for folders. To me, it's a piece of technical gear, not a toy.
    >> >
    >> > I'll be getting a new PC in a few weeks time when my pension and

    > gratuity
    >> > come through and if Vista means I've got to put up with even more

    > childish
    >> > gimmicks than XP, I'll go for XP - anlthough even that seems to be

    > pretty
    >> > bad already.
    >> >
    >> > I had a go of a PC with XP on a course and I couldn't even use Start >
    >> > Find without there being a stupid red cartoon bloodhound there.

    > Pathetic.
    >> >
    >> > Nemo.

    >> If you want a superior product over Vista, consider Linux (Ubuntu or

    > SuSE).
    >>
    >> Linux provides the best user experience for your computer and provides
    >> the best platform for performance, security, and reliability. One of the
    >> biggest advantages of Linux and the KDE desktop environment is that it
    >> is highly customizable and is extremely user-friendly.
    >>
    >> One way to try Linux out is to download a "Live CD" that will allow you
    >> to boot Linux with your current hardware without installing or making
    >> any modifications to your present configuration.
    >>

    > Many thanks.
    >
    > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    > software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    > essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    > Nemo

    CrossOver Office. Supports -
    M$ Office 2003, XP, 2000, 97
    Adobe Photoshop
    etc.
    2,620 applications in the database

    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

    William Poaster, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    nemo wrote:

    > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    > software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    > essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    > Nemo

    OpenOffice 2 is easily the equivalent of Office XP, (without Outlook), The
    Gimp is EASILY the equivalent of Photoshop. Not sure about Illustrator -
    never heard of that

    Gordon, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Au79

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:38:17 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > nemo wrote:
    >

    >> I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    >> software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    >> essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    >> Nemo
    >>

    > OpenOffice 2 is easily the equivalent of Office XP, (without Outlook), The
    > Gimp is EASILY the equivalent of Photoshop. Not sure about Illustrator -
    > never heard of that

    Open Office, any version, is not even close to being MS Office XP or
    above, in fact, OO can't properly convert many documents which makes
    working with people that ARE using MS Office almost impossible - unless
    the MS Office people use the lowest common format method.

    Leythos, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Au79

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > nemo wrote:
    >

    >> I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    >> software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    >> essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    >> Nemo
    >>

    > OpenOffice 2 is easily the equivalent of Office XP, (without
    > Outlook), The Gimp is EASILY the equivalent of Photoshop. Not sure
    > about Illustrator - never heard of that

    (Illustrator is a vector based illustration program from Adobe, comparable
    to Corel Draw.)

    WhzzKdd, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:38:17 +0000, Gordon wrote:
    >
    > Open Office, any version, is not even close to being MS Office XP or
    > above,

    As an Advanced Excel user I tell you it IS the same as office XP.....I use
    both equally. The ONLY problem is Macros. But then, 95% of users only use
    25% of the functionality in either suite anyway....

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2007
  9. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    "WhzzKdd" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> nemo wrote:
    >>

    >>> I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    >>> software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    >>> essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    >>> Nemo
    >>>

    >> OpenOffice 2 is easily the equivalent of Office XP, (without
    >> Outlook), The Gimp is EASILY the equivalent of Photoshop. Not sure
    >> about Illustrator - never heard of that

    > (Illustrator is a vector based illustration program from Adobe, comparable
    > to Corel Draw.)

    Open Office has Draw, which MAY be the same.....

    Gordon, Feb 1, 2007
  10. Au79

    nemo Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:03:16 +0000, nemo wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support

    software
    > > such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both essential),

    Bryce
    > > and Poser though?

    > Look for a product called "Crossover", it permits users to run MS Office
    > on their Linux machine. I don't know how it does with the other apps.
    >
    > --
    > Want to know what PCBUTTS1 is really about?
    > *** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
    > abusive nature created by PCBUTTS1 and still hosted on his public
    > website ***
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm ,
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm ,
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm ,
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/mpv.htm ,
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/wtcpcb.htm ,
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/cracks.htm ,
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/Loutheasshole.htm
    > All while spamming his company website at: http://www.seedsv.com

    Thanks - but why should I go here for foul/pornographic content when there's
    plenty of it on the binaries froups??

    (Oh! What a giveaway!! ;o)

    And anyway - after all the hype, now there are serious doubts being
    expressed on the BBC website about Vista's alleged security.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm

    And this is another hole since this morning!!!!

    I think I'll go with XP.

    nemo, Feb 1, 2007
  11. Au79

    nemo Guest

    "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:03:16 +0000, nemo wrote:
    >

    > > "Au79" <> wrote in message

    > > possible

    just

    > > and

    > > option

    > > gratuity

    > > childish

    > > pretty

    > > Pathetic.

    > >> If you want a superior product over Vista, consider Linux (Ubuntu or

    > > SuSE).
    > >>
    > >> Linux provides the best user experience for your computer and provides
    > >> the best platform for performance, security, and reliability. One of

    the
    > >> biggest advantages of Linux and the KDE desktop environment is that it
    > >> is highly customizable and is extremely user-friendly.
    > >>
    > >> One way to try Linux out is to download a "Live CD" that will allow you
    > >> to boot Linux with your current hardware without installing or making
    > >> any modifications to your present configuration.
    > >>

    > > Many thanks.
    > >
    > > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    > > software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    > > essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    > > Nemo

    > CrossOver Office. Supports -
    > M$ Office 2003, XP, 2000, 97
    > Adobe Photoshop
    > etc.
    > 2,620 applications in the database
    >
    > http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

    Thanks. That's handy. Added it to my 'PC Change-Over' folder.

    (I'm thorough, me.)

    nemo, Feb 1, 2007
  12. Au79

    nemo Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > nemo wrote:
    >

    > > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    > > software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    > > essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    > > Nemo
    > >

    > OpenOffice 2 is easily the equivalent of Office XP, (without Outlook), The
    > Gimp is EASILY the equivalent of Photoshop. Not sure about Illustrator -
    > never heard of that

    It's the vector equivalent of Photoshop, like a rich man's Corel Draw.

    http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/

    And if you've already learned Photoshop, it's an absolute cow to get used
    to! :eek:)

    nemo, Feb 1, 2007
  13. Au79

    Guest

    "nemo" <> wrote:

    >And anyway - after all the hype, now there are serious doubts being
    >expressed on the BBC website about Vista's alleged security.
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm

    While this sounds serious, if you've ever worked with voice macros
    you'd know that it's a feature that could cause problems.

    I've been exploitable since Win95 :)
    http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/comp.speech/Section6/Recognition/incube.html
    It quit working under XP so for awhile I've been "safe"

    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , Feb 1, 2007
  14. On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:29:42 +0000, nemo wrote:

    > "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:03:16 +0000, nemo wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Au79" <> wrote in message

    >> > possible

    > just

    >> > and

    >> > option

    >> > gratuity
    >> > childish
    >> > pretty

    >> > Pathetic.

    >> > SuSE).

    > the

    >> > Many thanks.
    >> >
    >> > I've seen Linux recommended a number of times, but does it support
    >> > software such as MS Office, Abobe Photoshop and Illustrator (both
    >> > essential), Bryce and Poser though?
    >> > Nemo

    >> CrossOver Office. Supports -
    >> M$ Office 2003, XP, 2000, 97
    >> Adobe Photoshop
    >> etc.
    >> 2,620 applications in the database
    >>
    >> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/
    >>

    > Thanks. That's handy. Added it to my 'PC Change-Over' folder.
    >
    > (I'm thorough, me.)

    This might be of interest:
    http://www.jeffreyjonesgraphics.com/

    William Poaster, Feb 2, 2007
  15. Au79 wrote:
    > nemo wrote:
    >
    >> I know it's a bit early to ask but does anyone know whether it's possible
    >> to ditch all the memory-guzzling 3D display gimmicks in Vista and just
    >> have it look like the standard interface and desktop with the old bog
    >> standard WIN95/98 "Classic Settings" type windows and folders etc.?
    >>
    >> The pic on the BBC news website showing folders being displayed in 3D and
    >> spaced out at 45� filled me with horror! :eek:)
    >>
    >> If the answer's no, sorry, Mr. Gates. You can stuff it!
    >>
    >> The way I've got this PC set up I don't even have the graduated colours
    >> along the tops of the windows and use List as the standard display option
    >> for folders. To me, it's a piece of technical gear, not a toy.
    >>
    >> I'll be getting a new PC in a few weeks time when my pension and gratuity
    >> come through and if Vista means I've got to put up with even more childish
    >> gimmicks than XP, I'll go for XP - anlthough even that seems to be pretty
    >> bad already.
    >>
    >> I had a go of a PC with XP on a course and I couldn't even use Start >
    >> Find without there being a stupid red cartoon bloodhound there. Pathetic.
    >>
    >> Nemo.

    > If you want a superior product over Vista, consider Linux (Ubuntu or SuSE).

    **** off, I bought a GeForce 5200FX vid card and OpenSusue 10.2 and
    Ubuntu 6.06 can only drive it at piss-poor res and definitely no GL or 3D.

    > Linux provides the best user experience for your computer and provides the
    > best platform for performance, security, and reliability. One of the
    > biggest advantages of Linux and the KDE desktop environment is that it is
    > highly customizable and is extremely user-friendly.

    Bollocks, I'm not the only one who can't get wireless networking to work
    with anything since OpenSuse 10.0

    =?UTF-8?B?QnJpYW4gSMK5wqk=?=, Feb 2, 2007
  16. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Bollocks, I'm not the only one who can't get wireless networking to work
    > with anything since OpenSuse 10.0

    Funnily enough, Kubuntu 6.06, PCLinux OS AND Opensuse 10.1 and 10.2 ALL
    worked wirelessly "out of the box"....maybe you fucked something up,
    deliberately.....

    Gordon, Feb 2, 2007
  17. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Brian H¹©.

    In <news:s6Owh.3064$> you wrote:

    > **** off, I bought a GeForce 5200FX vid card and OpenSusue 10.2 and
    > Ubuntu 6.06 can only drive it at piss-poor res and definitely no GL or 3D.

    I've got an older GeForce MX 440 running GL and 3D under Debian Sarge
    Stable at 1280x1024. The same drivers should work with your card, which is
    on the compatible list.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Feb 2, 2007
  18. On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:33:12 +0000, Brian H¹© wrote:

    <snip>

    > **** off, I bought a GeForce 5200FX vid card and OpenSusue 10.2 and Ubuntu
    > 6.06 can only drive it at piss-poor res and definitely no GL or 3D.

    No you **** off. I've got an identical card running Kubuntu 6.10 with
    nVIDIA drivers. It's running fine, with GL & 3D & also running a
    Looking-Glass desktop.
    http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.xml

    William Poaster, Feb 2, 2007
  19. On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:13:41 +0000, Ponder wrote:

    > Hiya Brian H¹©.
    >
    > In <news:s6Owh.3064$> you wrote:
    >
    >> **** off, I bought a GeForce 5200FX vid card and OpenSusue 10.2 and
    >> Ubuntu 6.06 can only drive it at piss-poor res and definitely no GL or
    >> 3D.

    > I've got an older GeForce MX 440 running GL and 3D under Debian Sarge
    > Stable at 1280x1024. The same drivers should work with your card, which is
    > on the compatible list.

    Want to bet he hasn't installed nVIDIA drivers? (Though he'll probably
    *say* he has)

    William Poaster, Feb 2, 2007
  20. Au79

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 23:22:59 +0000, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:33:12 +0000, Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> **** off, I bought a GeForce 5200FX vid card and OpenSusue 10.2 and Ubuntu
    >> 6.06 can only drive it at piss-poor res and definitely no GL or 3D.

    >No you **** off. I've got an identical card running Kubuntu 6.10 with
    >nVIDIA drivers. It's running fine, with GL & 3D & also running a
    >Looking-Glass desktop.
    >http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.xml

    Now flush and go wash your hands. <g>

    Freddie says hi, BTW. :)

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Feb 2, 2007