Re: A question about Usenet

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ralph Fox, Aug 6, 2009.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:02:12 +1200, in message <>
    Donchano <> wrote:

    > Somebody in another ng has claimed that "hundreds of millions of
    > people use Usenet." But of the hundreds of people I know I can only
    > think of one besides me who even knows what Usenet is.
    >
    > Is there any official records or any way to gauge the number of people
    > using Usnet. "Hundreds of millions" looks way OTT to me.

    The greater percentage of usenet users are doing binaries.

    Newsgroup alt.binaries.boneless gets around 20,000 posts a day -- and that
    is counting multi-part binary posts as a _single_ post, not as multiple posts.

    http://www.newsadmin.com/top100bmsgs.asp

    The whole alt.binaries.* hierarchy gets around 200,000 posts per day.
    Again, NOT counting each part of a multi-part.

    So either there are a lot of posters, or, if there were only a few then
    they they would each have to be very very busy posting.

    Not every poster will post every day. There will be more posters than
    those who post on any given day.

    And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and download.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 6, 2009

  2. Ralph Fox

    Rhino Guest

    On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:22:26 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    wrote:

    ..>And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and
    download.

    Very true. I check several newsgroups every day and mostly lurk. I
    probably d/l once every 4-5 days and u/l approx every 30 days.

    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Aug 6, 2009

  3. On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:22:26 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:02:12 +1200, in message <>
    >Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somebody in another ng has claimed that "hundreds of millions of
    >> people use Usenet." But of the hundreds of people I know I can only
    >> think of one besides me who even knows what Usenet is.
    >>
    >> Is there any official records or any way to gauge the number of people
    >> using Usnet. "Hundreds of millions" looks way OTT to me.

    >The greater percentage of usenet users are doing binaries.
    >

    >Newsgroup alt.binaries.boneless gets around 20,000 posts a day -- and that
    >is counting multi-part binary posts as a _single_ post, not as multiple posts.
    >
    > http://www.newsadmin.com/top100bmsgs.asp
    >
    >The whole alt.binaries.* hierarchy gets around 200,000 posts per day.
    >Again, NOT counting each part of a multi-part.
    >
    >So either there are a lot of posters, or, if there were only a few then
    >they they would each have to be very very busy posting.
    >
    >Not every poster will post every day. There will be more posters than
    >those who post on any given day.
    >
    >And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and download.

    There seem to be some bots posting lots of viruses to binary groups
    that will be making those numbers rather bigger than they really are.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 6, 2009
  4. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:10:58 +1200, in message <>
    Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:22:26 +1200, Ralph Fox <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:02:12 +1200, in message <>
    > >Donchano <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Somebody in another ng has claimed that "hundreds of millions of
    > >> people use Usenet." But of the hundreds of people I know I can only
    > >> think of one besides me who even knows what Usenet is.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any official records or any way to gauge the number of people
    > >> using Usnet. "Hundreds of millions" looks way OTT to me.

    > >The greater percentage of usenet users are doing binaries.
    > >

    > >Newsgroup alt.binaries.boneless gets around 20,000 posts a day -- and that
    > >is counting multi-part binary posts as a _single_ post, not as multiple posts.
    > >
    > > http://www.newsadmin.com/top100bmsgs.asp
    > >
    > >The whole alt.binaries.* hierarchy gets around 200,000 posts per day.
    > >Again, NOT counting each part of a multi-part.
    > >
    > >So either there are a lot of posters, or, if there were only a few then
    > >they they would each have to be very very busy posting.
    > >
    > >Not every poster will post every day. There will be more posters than
    > >those who post on any given day.
    > >
    > >And for each poster there will be many many dozens who only lurk and download.

    > There seem to be some bots posting lots of viruses to binary groups
    > that will be making those numbers rather bigger than they really are.

    In the (admittedly very few) binary groups which I read, only a small
    percentage of posts would be from bots posting viruses. YMMV.

    I have no doubt there are virus-posting bots. The question is what
    percentage of all posts are from bots; how far these bots skew the
    numbers.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph