Re: A programme is trying to access your address book

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, May 25, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Tappy Lappy wrote:
    Subject: A programme is trying to access your address book

    > I get this message when posting a reply on a newsgroup using Outlook
    > express, but only when repling to one specific user. All other
    > contributos pose no problem. I am running XP.
    > Should I be concerned.

    If you were clicking 'reply to sender' or 'reply to all' and you also use
    Outlook for your mail, OL has a feature that has an alert that looks like
    this if you are trying to get the sender's address from the OL
    addressbook.

    http://outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=52 A program is trying to access
    e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?

    Do you click reply to sender or reply to all instead of reply to group
    when you reply in newsgroups? Do you use OL Outlook, the messaging
    client for MS Office?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 25, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Tappy Lappy wrote:
    > Subject: A programme is trying to access your address book
    >
    >> I get this message when posting a reply on a newsgroup using Outlook
    >> express, but only when repling to one specific user. All other
    >> contributos pose no problem. I am running XP.
    >> Should I be concerned.

    > If you were clicking 'reply to sender' or 'reply to all' and you also use
    > Outlook for your mail, OL has a feature that has an alert that looks like
    > this if you are trying to get the sender's address from the OL
    > addressbook.
    >
    > http://outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=52 A program is trying to access
    > e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?
    >
    > Do you click reply to sender or reply to all instead of reply to group
    > when you reply in newsgroups? Do you use OL Outlook, the messaging
    > client for MS Office?

    "I get this message when posting a reply on a newsgroup"

    Newsgroup post, not e-mail message. Outlook won't be involved in
    newsgroup articles (unless Newshound or some 3rd party add-on is
    installed to add NNTP support to Outlook).

    I thought a header could be added to Usenet posts so that a reply action
    by a respondent would compose an e-mail message rather than a Usenet
    post. That is, you could change the default action by adding a header.
    Of course, in Outlook Express (which is what the OP appears to use),
    there is the possibility the OP hit the Reply (to author) button instead
    of the Reply Group button, too. The buttons on the toolbar move around
    depending on which type of account you select in the tree list.
    VanguardLH, May 25, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Tappy Lappy wrote:
    >> Subject: A programme is trying to access your address book
    >>
    >>> I get this message when posting a reply on a newsgroup using Outlook
    >>> express, but only when repling to one specific user. All other
    >>> contributos pose no problem. I am running XP.
    >>> Should I be concerned.

    >> If you were clicking 'reply to sender' or 'reply to all' and you also
    >> use Outlook for your mail, OL has a feature that has an alert that
    >> looks like this if you are trying to get the sender's address from the
    >> OL addressbook.

    Also, if another poster uses the configuration 'Followup-To: poster' and
    the OP is OL mailagent configured.

    >> http://outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=52 A program is trying to
    >> access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to
    >> allow this?
    >>
    >> Do you click reply to sender or reply to all instead of reply to group
    >> when you reply in newsgroups? Do you use OL Outlook, the messaging
    >> client for MS Office?

    > "I get this message when posting a reply on a newsgroup"

    S/He gets that message when ng replying and the process initiates a mail
    message by OL.

    > Newsgroup post, not e-mail message. Outlook won't be involved in
    > newsgroup articles (unless Newshound or some 3rd party add-on is
    > installed to add NNTP support to Outlook).

    If the OP is configured to use OL for hir mail agent and OE the newsagent
    calls OL to be the mail agent the alert could occur.

    > I thought a header could be added to Usenet posts so that a reply

    action
    > by a respondent would compose an e-mail message rather than a Usenet
    > post. That is, you could change the default action by adding a header.
    > Of course, in Outlook Express (which is what the OP appears to use),
    > there is the possibility the OP hit the Reply (to author) button

    instead
    > of the Reply Group button, too. The buttons on the toolbar move around
    > depending on which type of account you select in the tree list.

    This is correct. In the ng uk.sport.football.clubs.newcastle-united and
    some other xposted groups, the persona Paul posted this message^1
    <Xns9C1659930E95Apaulgexpertcanmore@199.185.223.74> which had the
    configuration:

    If you reply that message with a normally configured OE, it will try to
    cc email a message to the poster's From addy

    That process accesses the addressbook. A normally configured OE would
    use the .wab. An OS (or browser such as IE which determines some
    behaviors of OE) which is configured to access OL's addressbook - I
    presume - would initiate the behavior described.

    The OP was complaining about the Paul configuration in the uk newsgroup
    in another thread^2.

    ^1
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.soccer.sunderland/msg/f77de6113
    f9b79d1?hl=en or http://snipr.com/irmgo Followup-To: poster

    ^2
    <http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sport.football.clubs.newcastle-united/
    browse_thread/thread/000db6c2ac9ac2e5?hl=en#> or http://snipr.com/irmme
    Why didn't you just ask for my email addrsss instead of adding a Reply-To
    header to your posts.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 26, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    According to the old GNKSA measurement of what constitutes a good
    newsreader client, they are supposed to honor "Followup-To: poster".
    Looks like another alert that I'll add to my newsreader to warn me when
    someone is trying to yank the discussion out of newsgroups or trying to
    cull my e-mail address. Rather than alert on those posts, maybe I'll
    just killfile them.
    VanguardLH, May 26, 2009
  5. VanguardLH wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:

    > According to the old GNKSA measurement of what constitutes a good
    > newsreader client, they are supposed to honor "Followup-To: poster".
    > Looks like another alert that I'll add to my newsreader to warn me
    > when someone is trying to yank the discussion out of newsgroups or
    > trying to cull my e-mail address. Rather than alert on those posts,
    > maybe I'll just killfile them.

    See what happens with your newsreader if you try to reply to my last
    post in this thread:

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 26, 2009
  6. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > See what happens with your newsreader if you try to reply to my last
    > post in this thread:

    That post you refer just has reply-to headers which will only come into
    operation if the respondent uses (the equivalent of) reply to sender or
    reply to all.

    The 'followup-to poster' function is different. It does not require that
    the respondent use those sender/all options; see my header for this
    post.

    Here's how I can create that effect: In OE, the poster can use the
    options 'show all headers' which provides access to a followup-to header
    completion function. That function includes the option 'request replies
    be emailed to the author'. When the poster uses that option, it
    completes the f/up-to field with the string 'poster'.

    In this specific case, if you click reply to my newsmessage, your
    mailuser agent will/should try to email my invalid From addy. If I would
    put a valid Reply-To, then your newsagent's mailagent should use that.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 26, 2009
  7. On Mon, 25 May 2009 20:13:23 -0700, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> See what happens with your newsreader if you try to reply to my last
    >> post in this thread:

    > That post you refer just has reply-to headers which will only come
    > into operation if the respondent uses (the equivalent of) reply to
    > sender or reply to all.

    You missed the heading:
    (your sig is broken)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 26, 2009
  8. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > you wrote:

    >> That post you refer just has reply-to headers which will only come
    >> into operation if the respondent uses (the equivalent of) reply to
    >> sender or reply to all.

    > You missed the heading:

    oops. You're right. I looked at the wrong message.

    Now that I've tested the proper message, the mailcopiesto header message
    doesn't cause any email function in OE (an older IE6 v.) or Tbird
    2.0.0.21 lxde/xub904

    Previously I had a lot of other linux newsagents up and running to
    easily test how they would handle that header, but I replaced those
    distro install configuration with some newer ones which I haven't added
    newsagents to.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 26, 2009
  9. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Now that I've tested the proper message, the mailcopiesto header

    message
    > doesn't cause any email function in OE (an older IE6 v.) or Tbird
    > 2.0.0.21 lxde/xub904

    In knode 0.99.01 mandriva 2009.1 kde, it cooperates with/ respects/ the
    mailcopiesto header, and I get an alert which sez 'The author requested a
    mail copy of your reply (Mail-Copies-To header) which if allowed would
    email the address.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 26, 2009
  10. Mike Easter

    VanguardLH Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 May 2009 20:13:23 -0700, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk you wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>
    >>> See what happens with your newsreader if you try to reply to my last
    >>> post in this thread:

    >> That post you refer just has reply-to headers which will only come
    >> into operation if the respondent uses (the equivalent of) reply to
    >> sender or reply to all.

    > You missed the heading:
    > (your sig is broken)

    Yep, replying to that post would have Dialog populate both the
    Newsgroups and Email fields when composing the reply. That is, it would
    submit a Usenet post and send an e-mail (except that I didn't define any
    e-mail accounts in Dialog). However, there is no means of defining
    e-mail accounts in Dialog so it would have to transfer the message
    probably to whatever is the current MAPI client. I didn't bother to
    click on the Send button to see what happened.

    I had asked about the Mail-Copies-To header because I see it is an
    option when submitting my posts. While Dialog supports it, and perhaps
    Thunderbird, too, I don't how many newsreaders support that header. It
    was proposed for RFC submission but I don't think it was accepted. See
    http://www.newsreaders.com/misc/mail-copies-to.html.

    It appears Mike was also correct about using "FollowUp-To: poster".
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/software/good-netkeeping-seal/ says a
    "good" newsreader is supposed to honor this header and that value.
    VanguardLH, May 26, 2009
  11. VanguardLH wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> you wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That post you refer just has reply-to headers which will only come
    >>> into operation if the respondent uses (the equivalent of) reply to
    >>> sender or reply to all.

    >> You missed the heading:
    >
    > Yep, replying to that post would have Dialog populate both the
    > Newsgroups and Email fields when composing the reply. That is, it
    > would submit a Usenet post and send an e-mail (except that I didn't
    > define any e-mail accounts in Dialog). However, there is no means of
    > defining e-mail accounts in Dialog so it would have to transfer the
    > message probably to whatever is the current MAPI client.

    Dialog can do email. Look at the Settings > Server/Identities...
    "Email address used for emails"
    and Post > New email message
    though I don't use it for such, preferring to keep email and news
    clients separate - prevents accidental sending.

    > I didn't bother to click on the Send button to see what happened.

    Understood. I wouldn't have either. <g>

    > I had asked about the Mail-Copies-To header because I see it is an
    > option when submitting my posts. While Dialog supports it, and
    > perhaps Thunderbird, too, I don't how many newsreaders support that
    > header. It was proposed for RFC submission but I don't think it was
    > accepted. See http://www.newsreaders.com/misc/mail-copies-to.html.

    I don't know which all supports it either.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 26, 2009
  12. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > If you reply that message with a normally configured OE, it will try to
    > cc email a message to the poster's From addy

    .... however, since the expertcan.net domainname doesn't exist or resolve
    (for me or other name checkers), then nothing happens just as if the
    poster had used an .invalid From.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 26, 2009
  13. Mike Easter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-05-26, Mike Easter <> wrote:

    [...]

    > The 'followup-to poster' function is different. It does not require that
    > the respondent use those sender/all options; see my header for this
    > post.
    >
    > Here's how I can create that effect: In OE, the poster can use the
    > options 'show all headers' which provides access to a followup-to header
    > completion function. That function includes the option 'request replies
    > be emailed to the author'. When the poster uses that option, it
    > completes the f/up-to field with the string 'poster'.
    >
    > In this specific case, if you click reply to my newsmessage, your
    > mailuser agent will/should try to email my invalid From addy. If I would
    > put a valid Reply-To, then your newsagent's mailagent should use that.

    I don't think I've ever seen a "Followup-To: poster" header before!

    Anyway, for the record, my newsreader (slrn) gives me the following
    feedback when I hit f (to 'follow up to newsgroup):

    Are you sure you want to followup? [Y]es, No

    if I hit y (for yes) I then get

    Do you want to reply to POSTER as poster prefers? [Y]es, No

    and hitting y I then get

    lid appears invalid. Continue anyway? [Y]es, No

    But even if it were a valid email address I'd still get fair warning that
    I was about to send a private email not a public reply to the newsgroup.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 26, 2009
  14. Mike Easter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-05-26, Mike Easter <> wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> you wrote:

    >>> That post you refer just has reply-to headers which will only come
    >>> into operation if the respondent uses (the equivalent of) reply to
    >>> sender or reply to all.

    >> You missed the heading:
    >
    > oops. You're right. I looked at the wrong message.
    >
    > Now that I've tested the proper message, the mailcopiesto header message
    > doesn't cause any email function in OE (an older IE6 v.) or Tbird
    > 2.0.0.21 lxde/xub904
    >
    > Previously I had a lot of other linux newsagents up and running to
    > easily test how they would handle that header, but I replaced those
    > distro install configuration with some newer ones which I haven't added
    > newsagents to.

    My slrn recognised that header too; I got the warning

    Cc message as requested by poster? [Y]es, No, Cancel

    (that's another header I don't think I've seen before!).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 26, 2009
  15. Whiskers wrote:

    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> You missed the heading:
    >
    > My slrn recognised that header too; I got the warning
    >
    > Cc message as requested by poster? [Y]es, No, Cancel

    Dialog throws up a warning window as well, just as soon as you select to
    reply to the post.

    Please note that the poster set the header Mail-Copies-To:

    [ OK ]

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 26, 2009