Re: A pixel by any other name...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 15, 2013.

  1. Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    > I think digital photography is beyond my mental capacities (sigh).

    > I have several photos that were saved both as raw image files and as
    > jpgs. For many of them, the jpg file reports more pixels than the raw
    > image file. How can that be? I thought a jpg file was a compressed
    > version of the raw image file. So the number of pixels should be at most
    > the same, and I would have thought somewhat lower.

    You're right, but your files/examples are wrong.

    > Camera: Canon 5D Mark I with Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens

    > Filetype: CR2 (raw file)
    > Pixels: 2496 x 1664 Pixels (4.15 MPixels) (3:2)

    Not a 5D RAW.

    > Camera: Panasonic DMC-G1 with a 14-45 zoom lens

    > Filetype: RW2 (raw file)
    > Pixels: 1920 x 1440 Pixels (2.76 MPixels) (4:3)

    Nope, not a Panasonic DMC-G1 RAW.

    > Camera: Nikon D700 with a 24-120 mm zoom lens

    > Filetype: PSD (raw file)
    > Pixels: 2910 x 2435 Pixels (7.09 MPixels) (1.20)

    Naah, not a Nikon D700 raw. Wrong format even.

    Apparently you can get 5D sample RAWs here:
    http://www.rytterfalk.com/2007/04/15/raw-sigma-sd14-raw-for-download/

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 15, 2013

  2. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Wolfgang
    Weisselberg <> wrote:

    > > I have several photos that were saved both as raw image files and as
    > > jpgs. For many of them, the jpg file reports more pixels than the raw
    > > image file. How can that be? I thought a jpg file was a compressed
    > > version of the raw image file. So the number of pixels should be at most
    > > the same, and I would have thought somewhat lower.

    > You're right, but your files/examples are wrong.

    the files are fine. it's her software that's wrong.

    > > Camera: Canon 5D Mark I with Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens
    > > Filetype: CR2 (raw file)
    > > Pixels: 2496 x 1664 Pixels (4.15 MPixels) (3:2)

    > Not a 5D RAW.

    the software is reporting the size of the embedded jpeg, not the raw
    itself. the software is the problem.

    > > Camera: Panasonic DMC-G1 with a 14-45 zoom lens
    > > Filetype: RW2 (raw file)
    > > Pixels: 1920 x 1440 Pixels (2.76 MPixels) (4:3)

    > Nope, not a Panasonic DMC-G1 RAW.

    the software is reporting the size of the embedded jpeg, not the raw
    itself. the software is the problem.

    > > Camera: Nikon D700 with a 24-120 mm zoom lens
    > > Filetype: PSD (raw file)
    > > Pixels: 2910 x 2435 Pixels (7.09 MPixels) (1.20)

    > Naah, not a Nikon D700 raw. Wrong format even.

    that one is a photoshop file, which probably was made from a raw and if
    done properly, is just as good, even though it was cropped.

    > Apparently you can get 5D sample RAWs here:
    > http://www.rytterfalk.com/2007/04/15/raw-sigma-sd14-raw-for-download/

    a much better place is here:
    <http://www.rawsamples.ch/>

    nospam, Apr 17, 2013