Re: A philosopher's final answer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    philo <> wrote in
    news::

    > Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
    > I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
    > machine.
    >
    > Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
    > I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
    > application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
    >
    > I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
    > document I created last year...
    >
    > here is the error message
    >
    > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
    >

    Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to switch
    over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see another
    message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would be worth
    looking at.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 14, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. chuckcar

    Moog Guest

    chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    > philo <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
    >> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
    >> I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
    >> application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
    >>
    >> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
    >> document I created last year...
    >>
    >> here is the error message
    >>
    >> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
    >>

    > Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to switch
    > over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see another
    > message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would be worth
    > looking at.


    He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.

    looking at /var/log will be pointless.`

    --
    So this bloke says to me, "Can I come in your house and talk about your
    carpets?" I thought "That's all I need, a Je-hoover's witness".
    Moog, Mar 14, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Moog <> wrote in news::

    > chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    >> philo <> wrote in
    >> news::
    >>
    >>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
    >>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my
    >>> main machine.
    >>>
    >>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware
    >>> support... I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the
    >>> one application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
    >>>
    >>> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
    >>> document I created last year...
    >>>
    >>> here is the error message
    >>>
    >>> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
    >>>

    >> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to
    >> switch over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see
    >> another message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would
    >> be worth looking at.

    >
    > He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.
    >

    Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
    distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 14, 2009
    #3
  4. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:25:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Don't comment on what you don't know.


    Advice you should follow.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Mar 14, 2009
    #4
  5. chuckcar

    G. Morgan Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    >Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows.


    No it's not stoopid. If anything it's a Windows emulator for Linux. But by
    it's very name "Wine Is Not an Emulator"... duh.

    >Fedora is a linux
    >distribution.


    > Don't comment on what you don't know.


    You really need to follow that advice yourself, chucktard.
    G. Morgan, Mar 14, 2009
    #5
  6. chuckcar

    Guest

    , Mar 14, 2009
    #6
  7. chuckcar wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    >>> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to
    >>> switch over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may
    >>> see another message that means a bit more. Also the files in
    >>> /var/log would be worth looking at.

    >>
    >> He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.
    >>

    > Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows.


    He never mentioned Wine. "I started up Windows in a Virtual machine,".
    'Virtual machine' is not Wine. But VMWare and Virtualbox are.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

    Wine *is* *not* a Linux emulator full stop.

    > Fedora is a linux distribution.


    Duh!

    > Don't comment on what you don't know.


    Excellent advice you should follow!!! (after you've had a good nap)

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 14, 2009
    #7
  8. chuckcar wrote:
    > Moog <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    >>> philo <> wrote in
    >>> news::
    >>>
    >>>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
    >>>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my
    >>>> main machine.
    >>>>
    >>>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware
    >>>> support... I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the
    >>>> one application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
    >>>>
    >>>> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
    >>>> document I created last year...
    >>>>
    >>>> here is the error message
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
    >>>>
    >>> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to
    >>> switch over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see
    >>> another message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would
    >>> be worth looking at.

    >> He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.
    >>

    > Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
    > distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.
    >

    I wonder if it would run in "Dosbox"?

    http://www.dosbox.com/


    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 14, 2009
    #8
  9. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
    >>distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

    >
    > Obligatory your an idiot post.


    At least *I* can write complete sentences and admit when I'm wrong.


    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 16, 2009
    #9
  10. chuckcar wrote:

    > and admit when I'm wrong.


    Cain't say as I've ever seen that one...

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Windows
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 16, 2009
    #10
  11. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
    >>>distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

    >>
    >> Obligatory your an idiot post.

    >
    >At least *I* can write complete sentences


    Your right it, was early so I corrected the macro
    Obligatory "your an idiot post".
    --

    (Click on the dog house)
    http://amanita-design.net/samorost-2/
    , Mar 16, 2009
    #11
  12. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 01:48:03 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >At least *I* can write complete sentences and admit when I'm wrong.


    You have NEVER admitted to being wrong.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Mar 16, 2009
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Au79
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    350
  2. Karl Engel

    Word open as Final, not Final Showing Markup

    Karl Engel, Dec 17, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    41,121
    What's in a Name?
    Dec 19, 2006
  3. Moog

    Re: A philosopher's final answer

    Moog, Mar 13, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    528
  4. thanatoid

    Re: A philosopher's final answer

    thanatoid, Mar 14, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    514
    thanatoid
    Mar 14, 2009
  5. Shel-hed

    Re: A philosopher's final answer

    Shel-hed, Mar 14, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    527
    Shel-hed
    Mar 14, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page