Re: A philosopher's final answer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Moog, Mar 13, 2009.

  1. Moog

    Moog Guest

    philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    > Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
    > I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
    > machine.
    >
    > Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
    > I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
    > application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
    >
    > I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
    > document I created last year...
    >
    > here is the error message
    >
    > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
    >
    > Pretty much sums up what the philosophers have been seeking...
    > viz: the meaning of life,
    > the meaning of the universe...
    > and existence in general.
    >
    > A good summation of my life,
    > computers
    > and the 21st century

    Why yhe hell would you want to run a depracated application such as
    publisher?

    As for the error message you received in a "Virtual Machine", that is
    a windows error message, and has nothing at all to do with linux.

    My suggestion would be to move away from publisher entirely and look
    to a fully open source appication such as scribus. Do this ASAP.

    The more time you waste on publisher, the more your head is going to
    be messed up.

    --
    I was reading this book today, The History Of Glue and I couldn't put
    it down.
    Moog, Mar 13, 2009

  2. Moog

    Moog Guest

    philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    >>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
    >>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
    >>> I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
    >>> application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
    >>>
    >>> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
    >>> document I created last year...
    >>>
    >>> here is the error message
    >>>
    >>> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Pretty much sums up what the philosophers have been seeking...
    >>> viz: the meaning of life,
    >>> the meaning of the universe...
    >>> and existence in general.
    >>>
    >>> A good summation of my life,
    >>> computers
    >>> and the 21st century

    >> Why yhe hell would you want to run a depracated application such as
    >> publisher?
    >>
    >> As for the error message you received in a "Virtual Machine", that is
    >> a windows error message, and has nothing at all to do with linux.
    >>
    >> My suggestion would be to move away from publisher entirely and look
    >> to a fully open source appication such as scribus. Do this ASAP.
    >>
    >> The more time you waste on publisher, the more your head is going to
    >> be messed up.
    >>

    > Publisher is really the only tie I have to Windows.
    > It is simply because I am a volunteer-worker for a non-profit
    > organization here in town and from time to time need to create a
    > publication.
    > I work at home, but when I bring the document in to 'work' , for final
    > editing purposes and printing layout I need to have 100% compatibility
    > with the software they use. So not only do I need to use Publisher...
    > it has to be the exact version.
    >
    > I do projects in Publisher so rarely it is not worth it trying to get
    > the entire organization to switch over to what I use.
    >
    > I had no intention of actually running Publisher non-natively
    > but thought I'd give it a try anyway just for the hell of it.
    >
    > However..just now I realized that they may be able to deal with a .pdf
    > document...
    > do you have any suggestions for a Linux application similar to Publisher
    > that would allow me to save the document as a pdf. That might be a
    > viable alternative

    Did you miss the bit were I said
    SCRIBUS?

    You can run this on virtually any OS you want as it is free and open
    source.

    http://www.scribus.net/

    --
    So this bloke says to me, "Can I come in your house and talk about your
    carpets?" I thought "That's all I need, a Je-hoover's witness".
    Moog, Mar 14, 2009