Re: A perfect storm....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Celcius, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. Celcius

    Celcius Guest

    "Focus" <> wrote in message
    > ...and a few other pics I picked up on my way to the ocean:
    >
    > http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/Storm/
    >

    > --
    > Focus

    Great pics!
    I downloaded one of them and looked at the exif... Nothing.
    What camera and lens did you use,please?
    By the way, I find photos in markets, and especially fish markets very
    interestinf and colourful.
    Cheers,
    Marcel
    _______________________________
    No one can be completely wrong.
    Even a broken clock marks the right time twice a day.
    Anonymous.

    Celcius, Dec 15, 2008

  2. [Please don't x-post to aus.photo.]
    Celcius wrote:
    > "Focus" <> wrote in message
    >> ...and a few other pics I picked up on my way to the ocean:
    >>
    >> http://www.atlantic-diesel.com/Storm/

    > Great pics!
    > I downloaded one of them and looked at the exif... Nothing.
    > What camera and lens did you use,please?
    > By the way, I find photos in markets, and especially fish markets very
    > interestinf and colourful.

    Now, the second Santa in the first pic., the one not hanging off the
    sword: Something about the juxtaposition of the stainless washer hose
    and St. Nick. On purpose, or accidental? It's oh so naughty.

    Spanish market in Santa Cruz? Where, please.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Celcius

    Paul Furman Guest

    Focus wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote
    >>
    >> Spanish market in Santa Cruz? Where, please.

    > No, it's the peixeria in a Jumbo supermarket, Torres Vedras, Portugal.

    We had a big storm just roll in to Santa Cruz California, USA last night
    also ;-) Looks pretty similar!

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Celcius

    Celcius Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > Focus wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote
    >>>
    >>> Spanish market in Santa Cruz? Where, please.

    >> No, it's the peixeria in a Jumbo supermarket, Torres Vedras, Portugal.

    > We had a big storm just roll in to Santa Cruz California, USA last night
    > also ;-) Looks pretty similar!

    He, he, he Paul,
    Here, in Ottawa, Canada, we had 32cm (12") of snow a few days ago and
    today, it's raining.
    I suppose it's better than tornadoes and fires...
    Cheers,
    Marcel
    _______________________________

    Celcius, Dec 15, 2008
  5. Celcius

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:01:43 -0500, "Celcius" <>
    wrote:

    >"Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >> Focus wrote:
    >>> John McWilliams wrote

    >>> No, it's the peixeria in a Jumbo supermarket, Torres Vedras, Portugal.

    >> We had a big storm just roll in to Santa Cruz California, USA last night
    >> also ;-) Looks pretty similar!

    >He, he, he Paul,
    >Here, in Ottawa, Canada, we had 32cm (12") of snow a few days ago and
    >today, it's raining.
    >I suppose it's better than tornadoes and fires...

    I guess I shouldn't complain that it's been cloudy and overcast here
    this week. The temperatures have been in the high 70s (F) all week.
    Not good sun for photography, though.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 15, 2008
  6. Celcius

    Irwell Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:38:30 -0000, Focus wrote:

    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> [Please don't x-post to aus.photo.]
    >> Celcius wrote:
    >>> "Focus" <> wrote in message

    >>> Great pics!
    >>> I downloaded one of them and looked at the exif... Nothing.
    >>> What camera and lens did you use,please?
    >>> By the way, I find photos in markets, and especially fish markets very
    >>> interestinf and colourful.

    >> Now, the second Santa in the first pic., the one not hanging off the
    >> sword: Something about the juxtaposition of the stainless washer hose and
    >> St. Nick. On purpose, or accidental? It's oh so naughty.
    >>
    >> Spanish market in Santa Cruz? Where, please.
    >>
    >> --
    >> john mcwilliams

    > Funny! I didn't even see that..
    > No, it's the peixeria in a Jumbo supermarket, Torres Vedras, Portugal.

    I have some I took in Funchal, Madeira which have similar big
    fish,\Portugese sardines are ggreat.

    Irwell, Dec 15, 2008
  7. Celcius

    Cynicor Guest

    Celcius wrote:
    > "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >> Focus wrote:
    >>> John McWilliams wrote
    >>> No, it's the peixeria in a Jumbo supermarket, Torres Vedras, Portugal.

    >> We had a big storm just roll in to Santa Cruz California, USA last night
    >> also ;-) Looks pretty similar!

    > He, he, he Paul,
    > Here, in Ottawa, Canada, we had 32cm (12") of snow a few days ago and
    > today, it's raining.
    > I suppose it's better than tornadoes and fires...

    Hi Marcel -

    OT, how's the transit strike going up there? I know some good people in
    that union.

    Cynicor, Dec 15, 2008
  8. Celcius

    Celcius Guest

    Re: A perfect storm....OT

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > Celcius wrote:
    >> "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    >>> We had a big storm just roll in to Santa Cruz California, USA last night
    >>> also ;-) Looks pretty similar!

    >> He, he, he Paul,
    >> Here, in Ottawa, Canada, we had 32cm (12") of snow a few days ago and
    >> today, it's raining.
    >> I suppose it's better than tornadoes and fires...

    > Hi Marcel -
    >
    > OT, how's the transit strike going up there? I know some good people in
    > that union.

    Not very good, Cynicor.
    They're still on strike and other parts of the union want to join.
    There's been a call to let employees of government and industry work at
    home...
    I'm retired. So I go with the flow. However, there are days where I have to
    go out and shouldn't use the car...
    But over all, people cope.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Dec 15, 2008
  9. Celcius

    Celcius Guest

    Re: A perfect storm....OT

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > Please don't -- OT does *not* make it OK.

    John,
    You're right, but please relax. It's not all that serious...
    Take care,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Dec 16, 2008
  10. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Focus <> wrote:
    > "Savageduck" <> wrote in message

    >> Good pics. When did you return to the D300? I must have missed some
    >> earlier post.

    > Thanks. I got my second D300 about three months ago.
    > Before I had the Sony A350. Very nice camera, especially the LV is very good
    > (wish Nikon had one of those with tilting screen; I would buy one in a
    > flash), but the high ISO of 400 and above is hopeless.

    The characteristic noise of the A350 at high ISOs is handled very much
    better by some of the latest smart noise reducers than by Sony's own
    noise reduction. I was amazed at the improvement in quality I could
    get from NeatImage for example. I'll even use ISO 3200 now, whereas before like you I avoided going past 400.

    But to get the best requires learning, and individual experiments with
    each specific image, which of course is tedious compared to a system
    which works well with standard noise reduction.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Dec 18, 2008