Re: A new group policy ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron.G, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Ron.G

    Ron.G Guest

    Glad to see that we are having fun.
    Yes I am a bit confused about this. I have tried a number of settings but I
    can't find any way to change this. I still can't see the original messages.
    I have recently updated to Outlook 6, but I think I had this problem even
    with 5.5.
    Could it really be my News server/provider Telia.com ?
    I'll have to check that out.

    Ron.G

    "Jason O'Rourke" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Ron.G <> wrote:
    > >It looks like whoever monitors this group has decided not to show the
    > >original questions anymore. When and why was this decided? To save

    space?

    Ron.G, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Ron.G

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:42:31 GMT, in
    <HPfPa.19829$>, "Ron.G" <> said:

    >Glad to see that we are having fun.
    >Yes I am a bit confused about this. I have tried a number of settings but I
    >can't find any way to change this. I still can't see the original messages.
    >I have recently updated to Outlook 6, but I think I had this problem even
    >with 5.5.
    >Could it really be my News server/provider Telia.com ?
    >I'll have to check that out.

    On a more serious note than the previous responses (including my own :);
    Usenet articles are supposed to expire automatically after some period
    of time. The expiry time is set by the sysadmin running the news server
    you use. Typical figures for text-based newsgroups like this one might
    be as little as a few days to as long as a couple of weeks.
    If (like myself) you like to hold on to interesting posts, you need to
    save them somewhere on your system. How you do that depends on the news
    reader software that you use.
    If the people running the Telia news server are the people I think they
    are (a couple of Swedish friends of mine), you'll find them very
    helpful. They'll be able to point you towards more information on how to
    get the most out of Usenet.

    Lionel, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Ron.G

    Lionel Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:11:29 GMT, in
    <59oPa.19914$>, "Ron.G" <> said:

    >Thank you Lionel, and I also like to thank JRE for the advice on
    >settings,
    >I'll go through that later on.
    >
    >But I'm beginning to realise that nothing is wrong.

    That was actually what I was trying to get across to you, in my own
    pedantic way. ;)

    > And that the reason
    >why I see so many answers and very few original posts is because the number
    >of messages coming in is so great. I have it set to download 600 messages,
    >and I now got 489, and almost all of them are from the last 2-3 days.

    Yes, this group is extremely busy. Something upwards of several hundred
    messages a day.

    >And I suppose this is because of a limit in the news-server settings.
    >So no wonder that I see mostly answers and very few , perhaps 10%, original
    >posts. The number of messages are coming in so fast that many of them are
    >only answerd several days later.

    Yes, that's also correct.

    > I don't visit the group very often. I would have to visit every day. Or I
    >believe it's possible to use automatic downloading of new messages if I
    >wanted.

    The trick is to use a threading, offline newsreader, & a good quality
    news service. (Most ISPs don't make any effort to run a proper news
    server, so you're lucky if you see one post in five.) That way, the
    messages are sitting there waiting for you, in the correct order.

    > I'm sure the number of posts have inceased very much (due to the popularity
    >of digital photography). because this didn't use to be a problem.

    That would make perfect sense, yes.

    Lionel, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Ron.G

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <59oPa.19914$>,
    says...
    > The number of messages are coming in so fast that many of them are
    > only answerd several days later.
    > I don't visit the group very often.

    Yep, that's the problem. I check the group several times a day and there
    are usually 100-200 new messages each time I check. I would say that we
    easily go through 500-750 messages per day. I haven't had much luck
    finding current stats for the group, but two years ago (12/01) we were
    averaging about 550 per day. I would guess that that number has
    increased considerably since then.

    --
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 11, 2003