Re: A More Traditional Look

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Mar 22, 2009.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...

    Here's the corrected link:
    http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 22, 2009

  2. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 3/21/09 11:16 PM, in article DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83, "Dudley
    > Hanks" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
    >>
    >> Here's the corrected link:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg
    >>

    > Now that I look at the color version, maybe not more general fill, but
    > something to give a catchlight in that left eye...

    When I was converting the RAW file to colour, I used the Canon software to
    sharpen the image a bit. I'm not sure if that made much of a difference.

    I think I'll try two approaches. First, I'll try the reflector and see if
    that helps pick up the brightness in that eye without lightening up the
    shadows too much. If that evens things up too much, I'll try just bringing
    the flash up a bit higher and more over to his left side. Hopefully that
    will put a bit of sparkle in his eyes. (Assuming they're fully open...)

    Thanks George.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 22, 2009

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Justin C Guest

    In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
    >
    > Here's the corrected link:
    > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg

    I don't like that one, or the B&W version. The half-closed eyes make him
    look a bit angry... but I'm nervous of dogs anyway, so I'd *really* not
    go near him!

    I just noticed your spelling of colour, I'm guessing you're British. Out
    of interest, which area's public transport were you riding in the shot
    of Mitch on the bus?

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Mar 22, 2009
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Justin C" <> wrote in message
    > In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
    >>
    >> Here's the corrected link:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg

    > I don't like that one, or the B&W version. The half-closed eyes make him
    > look a bit angry... but I'm nervous of dogs anyway, so I'd *really* not
    > go near him!
    >
    > I just noticed your spelling of colour, I'm guessing you're British. Out
    > of interest, which area's public transport were you riding in the shot
    > of Mitch on the bus?
    >
    > Justin.

    Yeah, Mich's expression wasn't the best. I spent a fair bit of time trying
    to get the flash and exposure the way I wanted it, and then clicked a few
    shots. Mich had been snoozing before I took the picks, and I guess he
    wasn't quite awake yet. When my wife got home and told me he looks "sick"
    in the pic, I was a bit disappointed, but I'll try again another day when
    he's been running around beforehand, so he'll look a bit perkier.

    Re: my spelling of colour, I'm actually from Canada. We use the British
    spelling -- well, most of us do. The pic of Mich on the bus was taken here,
    in Edmonton.

    However, my wife is from the northern part of England, Newcastle Upon Tyne
    (spelling?). She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
    there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
    the old cathedrals.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 23, 2009
  5. In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>,
    "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote:

    > Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
    >
    > Here's the corrected link:
    > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg
    >

    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Background and expression still need work, but I think the lighting is not
    > > too bad for a shepherd portrait. But, hey, you be the judge...
    > >
    > > How's the focus? I switched to Quick focus mode,, and it sounds like it's
    > > a bit more predictable than the contrast type used in the Live View focus
    > > option.
    > >
    > > Portrait of Mich:
    > > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-bw-small.jpg
    > > (quick loading BW)
    > > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-bw.jpg (full
    > > size BW)
    > > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg
    > >
    > > (quick loading colour)
    > > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour.jpg
    > > (full size colour)
    > > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich.cr2
    > >
    > > Now, if I could just get those snow shots to turn out...
    > >
    > > Take Care,
    > > Dudley

    I like the dark red background caused by differing white balance. As
    for the composure - maybe move one inch farther back. That's probably
    the right distance for a person but Mitch's snout is too close to the
    camera. It looks huge. I think the facial shadows are fine. You could
    lighten then or darken them for a different look but it would still be a
    good photo.

    --
    I will not see your reply if you use Google.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 24, 2009
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Kevin McMurtrie" <> wrote in message
    > In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>,
    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
    >>
    >> Here's the corrected link:
    >> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg
    >>

    >> "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >> > Background and expression still need work, but I think the lighting is
    >> > not
    >> > too bad for a shepherd portrait. But, hey, you be the judge...
    >> >
    >> > How's the focus? I switched to Quick focus mode,, and it sounds like
    >> > it's
    >> > a bit more predictable than the contrast type used in the Live View
    >> > focus
    >> > option.
    >> >
    >> > Portrait of Mich:
    >> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-bw-small.jpg
    >> > (quick loading BW)
    >> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-bw.jpg
    >> > (full
    >> > size BW)
    >> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour-small.jpg
    >> >
    >> > (quick loading colour)
    >> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich-colour.jpg
    >> > (full size colour)
    >> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks.com/Images/PortraitMich.cr2
    >> >
    >> > Now, if I could just get those snow shots to turn out...
    >> >
    >> > Take Care,
    >> > Dudley
    >> >

    > I like the dark red background caused by differing white balance. As
    > for the composure - maybe move one inch farther back. That's probably
    > the right distance for a person but Mitch's snout is too close to the
    > camera. It looks huge. I think the facial shadows are fine. You could
    > lighten then or darken them for a different look but it would still be a
    > good photo.
    >
    > --
    > I will not see your reply if you use Google.

    Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. Mich's muzzle is a bit big, so any tip on
    how to minimize it's impact are definitely appreciated. I was concentrating
    on not chopping off his ears, so I didn't pay enough attention to that area.
    I'll pay more attention to that part next time.

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 24, 2009
  7. Dudley Hanks

    Justin C Guest

    In article <t3Rxl.18225$Db2.6803@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > Re: my spelling of colour, I'm actually from Canada. We use the British
    > spelling -- well, most of us do. The pic of Mich on the bus was taken here,
    > in Edmonton.

    Nice part of the world, eh?

    > However, my wife is from the northern part of England, Newcastle Upon Tyne
    > (spelling?).

    It's usually hyphenated Newcastle-upon-Tyne (and IIRC they use a lower-case 'u' for upon).

    > She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
    > there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
    > the old cathedrals.

    *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
    out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
    rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
    here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
    give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Mar 24, 2009
  8. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Justin C" <> wrote in message
    > In article <t3Rxl.18225$Db2.6803@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>
    >> Re: my spelling of colour, I'm actually from Canada. We use the British
    >> spelling -- well, most of us do. The pic of Mich on the bus was taken
    >> here,
    >> in Edmonton.

    > Nice part of the world, eh?
    >

    >> However, my wife is from the northern part of England, Newcastle Upon
    >> Tyne
    >> (spelling?).

    > It's usually hyphenated Newcastle-upon-Tyne (and IIRC they use a
    > lower-case 'u' for upon).
    >

    >> She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
    >> there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
    >> the old cathedrals.

    > *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
    > out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
    > rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
    > here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
    > give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.
    >
    > Justin.

    We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can (Vancouver
    / Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is always greener --
    more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence (pond).

    BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
    taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
    jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 24, 2009
  9. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Justin C" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <t3Rxl.18225$Db2.6803@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    >>> She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
    >>> there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
    >>> the old cathedrals.

    >> *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
    >> out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
    >> rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
    >> here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
    >> give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.

    > We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can (Vancouver
    > / Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is always greener --
    > more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence (pond).
    >
    > BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
    > taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
    > jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

    You might also be able to time it with the annual draining and painting
    of the lake bed at Lake Louise.......

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Mar 25, 2009
  10. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> "Justin C" <> wrote in message

    >>> *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
    >>> out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
    >>> rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
    >>> here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
    >>> give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.

    >> We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can
    >> (Vancouver / Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is
    >> always greener -- more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence
    >> (pond).
    >>
    >> BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
    >> taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
    >> jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

    > You might also be able to time it with the annual draining and painting of
    > the lake bed at Lake Louise.......
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Sorry, John, they don't drain and paint anymore. They've got a new system:
    a plastic liner is fitted in place once every 5 years by dozens of tiny
    submersables...

    It's more economical and environmentally friendly, since the plastic gets
    recycled after it's pulled... :)

    Take Care,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 25, 2009
  11. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    >> Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >>> "Justin C" <> wrote in message
    >>> We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can
    >>> (Vancouver / Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is
    >>> always greener -- more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence
    >>> (pond).
    >>>
    >>> BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
    >>> taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
    >>> jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

    >> You might also be able to time it with the annual draining and painting of
    >> the lake bed at Lake Louise.......
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams

    > Sorry, John, they don't drain and paint anymore. They've got a new system:
    > a plastic liner is fitted in place once every 5 years by dozens of tiny
    > submersables...
    >
    > It's more economical and environmentally friendly, since the plastic gets
    > recycled after it's pulled... :)

    Ah, makes much more sense than that nasty copper based paint. Glad to
    see the Park Service/Train company/Whoever has moved into the 21st
    Century... :)

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Mar 26, 2009
  12. Dudley Hanks

    Justin C Guest

    In article <efdyl.19531$PH1.7982@edtnps82>, Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
    > taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
    > jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

    I'd love to return to Jasper. Banff I found too commercial, a place that
    didn't seem in touch with it's surroundings, quite odd. I intend my next
    visit to Canada's west coast to be by boat, I'm definitely coming back!

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.
    Justin C, Mar 26, 2009