Re: A little nostalgia this morning

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nm5k@wt.net, Jul 3, 2010.

  1. Guest

    On Jul 2, 7:59 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
    >
    > <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg>
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Gives the term "land yacht" a whole new meaning. Smooth implementation
    of fender skirts. I can't decide if only the lower chrome trim part is
    the
    removable skirt, or if it extends up into the body and I just can't
    see the lines..
    I'm too new a carbon unit to have driven something that old..
    I guess the closest thing I remember to that that I used to ride in,
    was my dad's 1954 Pontiac Star Chief coupe. It was a pretty fancy car
    in it's day.
    I think it was the top of the line Pontiac that year.
    Had a straight eight, fender skirts, yellow lit Indian hood ornament
    and other
    goodies.. I remember it had an electric eye to turn off the bright
    lights when
    it sensed incoming traffic. On trips it used to get fooled by the full
    moon if it
    were low in the sky..
    Funny how I can remember stuff like that when I was such a young
    sprout.
    I remember he eventually traded it, and a boat he had at the time for
    a 1957
    Ford station wagon.. Which was basically a piece of crap judging by
    all the
    problems it had through it's life. IE: it had air conditioning, but
    rarely worked
    as I recall. Also, in those years, Ford put the hood on backasswards
    so it
    was usually in the way when one tried to work on it. :/
    , Jul 3, 2010

  2. tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:23:38 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-07-02 21:06:28 -0700, said:
    >
    >> On Jul 2, 7:59 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
    >>>
    >>> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Savageduck

    >> Gives the term "land yacht" a whole new meaning. Smooth implementation
    >> of fender skirts. I can't decide if only the lower chrome trim part is
    >> the
    >> removable skirt, or if it extends up into the body and I just can't
    >> see the lines..
    >> I'm too new a carbon unit to have driven something that old..
    >> I guess the closest thing I remember to that that I used to ride in,
    >> was my dad's 1954 Pontiac Star Chief coupe. It was a pretty fancy car
    >> in it's day.
    >> I think it was the top of the line Pontiac that year.
    >> Had a straight eight, fender skirts, yellow lit Indian hood ornament
    >> and other
    >> goodies.. I remember it had an electric eye to turn off the bright
    >> lights when
    >> it sensed incoming traffic. On trips it used to get fooled by the full
    >> moon if it
    >> were low in the sky..
    >> Funny how I can remember stuff like that when I was such a young
    >> sprout.
    >> I remember he eventually traded it, and a boat he had at the time for
    >> a 1957
    >> Ford station wagon.. Which was basically a piece of crap judging by
    >> all the
    >> problems it had through it's life. IE: it had air conditioning, but
    >> rarely worked
    >> as I recall. Also, in those years, Ford put the hood on backasswards
    >> so it
    >> was usually in the way when one tried to work on it. :/

    >The 1948 Hudsons were revolutionary, in that it had the "step-down"
    >body which did away with the necessity for running boards. This meant
    >the entire frame encircled the passenger compartment, instead on being
    >mounted on the frame. So you would "step-down" to enter a post 1948
    >Hudson, instead of climbing up, as in the past.
    >That also lowered the center of gravity, and added an element of
    >safety. Also it facilitated using unibody construction which lowered
    >weight.
    >Great cars, unable to keep up with the fickle times of the fifties.

    A friend of mine in high school had a Hudson. The window seals
    leaked, though, and water would get in the back seat foot wells. That
    "step-down" body made for 6" deep puddles.

    He purchased the car from Crown Hill Cemetery where it was used only
    to take people to gravesites. The coachwork was incredible...polished
    every day and immaculate interior. The engine, though, was so
    carboned up from never have been driven over 25 mph that it never did
    run right.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 3, 2010

  3. > On Jul 2, 7:59 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
    >>
    >> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg>

    Now, damn, why didn't you get the owner to move the vehicle into the
    portable light tent you always tow around with you? It takes only an
    hour to set it up, after all.....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jul 3, 2010