Re: a few newbie questions

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Keith Bowes, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Keith Bowes

    Keith Bowes Guest

    alpamsfq wrote:
    > i just started using mozilla1.6 a few days ago... it's mostly been pretty
    > good... just a few issues that i'm hoping you could all help me with...
    >
    > - is firefox really any better than mozilla? loading times are pretty slow
    > and i'm only using the browser anyway... would it make a difference if i
    > switched to firefox

    Depends on how you define better and what you mean by loading times.
    Mozilla and Firefox cold startup is about the same, as is page loading
    times.

    > - is there a way to disable plugins? mpg's and quicktime are getting
    > annoying

    Disable quicktime. On Windows, this is in the control panel; I'm not
    sure about Macs.

    > - the big feature of mozilla vs. ie is the tabbed browsing... but why do
    > some links make new windows anyway? is there a way to force the window to
    > just be a new tab instead? i have the middle mouse button set to open in a
    > new tab... but then i have to be psychic to know that it'll try to open a
    > new window

    You must use an extension, unless you volunteer to implement it in Gecko.

    > - is there an extension (or whatever) to allow me to edit the page that i'm
    > on with something besides composer? for example... notepad, cutehtml, etc.

    Why would you want to? Save it to your disk and open it with Vim or
    whatever.

    > - is there any way to change the netscape-ish icon in the taskbar?

    Yes, change the resource icon in the executable. I guess you meant an
    easy way.

    > - is there any way to use google.ca instead of google.com?

    Of course, it's open source.

    Keith Bowes, Apr 3, 2004

  2. in article 5Hvbc.2586$, Keith Bowes at
    wrote on 4/3/04 2:46 AM:

    > alpamsfq wrote:
    >> i just started using mozilla1.6 a few days ago... it's mostly been pretty
    >> good... just a few issues that i'm hoping you could all help me with...
    >>
    >> - is firefox really any better than mozilla? loading times are pretty slow
    >> and i'm only using the browser anyway... would it make a difference if i
    >> switched to firefox

    > Depends on how you define better and what you mean by loading times.
    > Mozilla and Firefox cold startup is about the same, as is page loading
    > times.
    >

    >> - is there a way to disable plugins? mpg's and quicktime are getting
    >> annoying

    > Disable quicktime. On Windows, this is in the control panel; I'm not
    > sure about Macs.
    >

    >> - the big feature of mozilla vs. ie is the tabbed browsing... but why do
    >> some links make new windows anyway? is there a way to force the window to
    >> just be a new tab instead? i have the middle mouse button set to open in a
    >> new tab... but then i have to be psychic to know that it'll try to open a
    >> new window

    > You must use an extension, unless you volunteer to implement it in Gecko.
    >

    >> - is there an extension (or whatever) to allow me to edit the page that i'm
    >> on with something besides composer? for example... notepad, cutehtml, etc.

    > Why would you want to? Save it to your disk and open it with Vim or
    > whatever.
    >

    >> - is there any way to change the netscape-ish icon in the taskbar?

    > Yes, change the resource icon in the executable. I guess you meant an
    > easy way.
    >

    >> - is there any way to use google.ca instead of google.com?

    > Of course, it's open source.

    This I know of "classic" mac o/s (up to sys. 9.x):
    to disable QuickTime, remove the extensions associated with it. This can be
    done through Control Panels- Extension Manager. You may still want to be
    able to launch QuickTime at some point in the future, so save your settings
    without QuickTime as "Internet set" or something like, and save the set with
    QuickTime enabled as mac o/s all.

    Panther, Jaguar, and other versions of o/s x, I do not know.

    Tabbed browsing: I find IE handles well (Myself, preferring panes opening in
    separate windows, was briefly stimmyied at finding my father-in-laws mac had
    it disabled by my wife)

    drag and drop page editing on the fly: SimpleText for smaller files (app.
    loads text into RAM); PlainText for larger files (if you can find one for
    your o/s, system type- I have a PowerPC (603ev) running 8.6, so am using a
    FAT-binary version).
    Or a HTML/plaintext/bbs/ ascii editor such as BBEdit (available in freeware
    (save disabled), and shareware versions.
    All are fast-loading, require little RAM and wont compromise processor
    stability while open.
    As an aside:
    If QuickTime really is a bother, might it be b/c you need to allocate more
    RAM to either QuickTime Palyer, your browser, or Both?
    if so, highlight the app's icon, hit command-I, and scroll the window bar
    from General Information, to memory, and increase the preferred and minimum
    setting to your choice. (Hint: the Suggested setting is usually set by
    default, BELOW the minimum). This will improve speed and stability in the
    applications you succesfully afjusted.

    Changing icons: I don't think you want to mess with Res-Edit.

    catchmerevisited, Apr 17, 2004