Re: A Fax program wanted

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:38:44 +1300, "B Roberts" <> wrote:

    >I have installed Vista Premium Home Edition
    >
    >Until now I did not realise it did not have a fax program
    >
    >XP and most of my previous OS had the ability to
    >use fax.
    >
    >I guess they take it out so you have to pay extra
    >for the next one up
    >
    >Does anyone know of a free Fax program?
    >
    >Help would be appreciated

    Are you on dialup..?
    Woger, Mar 23, 2009

  2. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Woger wrote:
    >> I guess they take it out so you have to pay extra
    >> for the next one up
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a free Fax program?
    >>
    >> Help would be appreciated

    > Are you on dialup..?

    Why does that matter?

    I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
    free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
    you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.
    Richard, Mar 23, 2009

  3. Woger

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gq7qeo$h43$>, says...
    > Woger wrote:
    > >> I guess they take it out so you have to pay extra
    > >> for the next one up
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know of a free Fax program?
    > >>
    > >> Help would be appreciated

    > > Are you on dialup..?

    > Why does that matter?
    >
    > I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
    > free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
    > you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

    Where do I sign up!

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 23, 2009
  4. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    >> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
    >> free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
    >> you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

    > Where do I sign up!

    2talk.co.nz
    Richard, Mar 23, 2009
  5. Woger

    EMB Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with
    >>> some free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of
    >>> paying to fax you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete
    >>> technologies.

    >> Where do I sign up!

    > 2talk.co.nz

    It works bloody well too.
    EMB, Mar 23, 2009
  6. Woger

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gq85p6$12b$>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
    > >> free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
    > >> you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

    > > Where do I sign up!

    > 2talk.co.nz

    Cheers, I've actually got a fax machine, and a couple weeks ago I dusted
    off 2mm of dust and used to send a fax. Don't think it's been used for
    over five years. Good to know it still works.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 28, 2009
  7. Woger

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <MXFAl.66347$1.easynews.com>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    > I have used http://www.faxaway.com/ for several years. They allocate you a
    > USA fax number, and you pay only for outgoing faxes (e-mailed from yout PC);
    > incoming are forwarded to your e-mail. (.TIFF). I still have the "outwards"
    > fax machine connected to our 'phone line to scan/send the occasional fax
    > where it is more convenient than sending from PC.
    >
    > Similar to above, the sender gets the privilege of calling international
    > (pretty cheap these days!) as penalty for using obsolescent technology.
    > Actually used to have a Telecom NZ fax number, but got many spam faxes and
    > discovered Telecom were selling the number list. I was told by Telecom that
    > I would have to write to Telecom every 3 months (the repeat period when they
    > sold new editions of the CDs of business fax numbers) if I wanted to have
    > our number excluded. !&*^!

    Cool, thanks for that info. Handy indeed to have a service that you can
    use to send *out* faxes also - as that indeed might be required on rare
    occasions.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Apr 1, 2009
  8. In article <MXFAl.66347$1.easynews.com>, "B Campbell" <> wrote:

    >"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >I have used http://www.faxaway.com/ for several years. They allocate you a
    >USA fax number, and you pay only for outgoing faxes (e-mailed from yout PC);
    >incoming are forwarded to your e-mail. (.TIFF). I still have the "outwards"
    >fax machine connected to our 'phone line to scan/send the occasional fax
    >where it is more convenient than sending from PC.
    >
    >Similar to above, the sender gets the privilege of calling international
    >(pretty cheap these days!) as penalty for using obsolescent technology.
    >Actually used to have a Telecom NZ fax number, but got many spam faxes and
    >discovered Telecom were selling the number list. I was told by Telecom that
    >I would have to write to Telecom every 3 months (the repeat period when they
    >sold new editions of the CDs of business fax numbers) if I wanted to have
    >our number excluded. !&*^!

    Luxury ! When I told telecom a year or so ago to stop selling our phone
    number as part of lists they supply to various companies, they offered to
    disconnect my phone ! Yes, that was their complete response. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 2, 2009
  9. Woger

    Your Name Guest

    In article <MXFAl.66347$1.easynews.com>, "B Campbell"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > Similar to above, the sender gets the privilege of calling international
    > (pretty cheap these days!) as penalty for using obsolescent technology.
    > Actually used to have a Telecom NZ fax number, but got many spam faxes and
    > discovered Telecom were selling the number list. I was told by Telecom

    that
    > I would have to write to Telecom every 3 months (the repeat period when

    they
    > sold new editions of the CDs of business fax numbers) if I wanted to have
    > our number excluded. !&*^!

    Just get a line with an unlisted phone number and don't tell Telescum that
    you're using it for a fax machine. You don't have to "re-request" that
    unlisted number at all - it stays that way until you tell them otherwise. Of
    course, unlisted numbers aren't really fully secure since they are still
    displayed on Caller ID phones anyway.
    Your Name, Apr 2, 2009
  10. Woger

    Your Name Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:49d3f51e$0$31433$4all.se...

    > Luxury ! When I told telecom a year or so ago to stop selling our phone
    > number as part of lists they supply to various companies, they offered to
    > disconnect my phone ! Yes, that was their complete response. :)

    Sounds similar to the response I got from ihug / Vodafone. My Mac uses a
    dial-up connection and it stopped authenticating the log-in (for about the
    third time). After over a month of mucking me about, they finally said that
    they wouldn't be fixing the problem, and to use the Internet I either had to
    upgrade my computer or dial-in via a toll call to their Whangarei local
    number where the authentication does still work properly. X-(
    Your Name, Apr 2, 2009
  11. Woger

    Rhino Guest

    On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:50:01 +1200, "Your Name" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:49d3f51e$0$31433$4all.se...
    >>
    >> Luxury ! When I told telecom a year or so ago to stop selling our phone
    >> number as part of lists they supply to various companies, they offered to
    >> disconnect my phone ! Yes, that was their complete response. :)

    >Sounds similar to the response I got from ihug / Vodafone. My Mac uses a
    >dial-up connection and it stopped authenticating the log-in (for about the
    >third time). After over a month of mucking me about, they finally said that
    >they wouldn't be fixing the problem, and to use the Internet I either had to
    >upgrade my computer or dial-in via a toll call to their Whangarei local
    >number where the authentication does still work properly. X-(

    Are you ever going to stop bleating about this? If you don't like
    Ihug/Vodafone, change to another ISP. Problem solved.
    Rhino, Apr 2, 2009
  12. Woger

    Your Name Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:50:01 +1200, "Your Name" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Bruce Sinclair" <>

    wrote
    > >in message news:49d3f51e$0$31433$4all.se...
    > >>
    > >> Luxury ! When I told telecom a year or so ago to stop selling our phone
    > >> number as part of lists they supply to various companies, they offered

    > >> disconnect my phone ! Yes, that was their complete response. :)

    > >Sounds similar to the response I got from ihug / Vodafone. My Mac uses a
    > >dial-up connection and it stopped authenticating the log-in (for about

    the
    > >third time). After over a month of mucking me about, they finally said

    that
    > >they wouldn't be fixing the problem, and to use the Internet I either had

    > >upgrade my computer or dial-in via a toll call to their Whangarei local
    > >number where the authentication does still work properly. X-(

    > Are you ever going to stop bleating about this?

    Not as long as ihug / Vodafone, Telescum and other "big business" companies
    continue to provide shoddy "services" ... which is what they will ALWAYS do
    because they only ever think of their own wallets and don't give a damn
    about the actually customer.

    > If you don't like Ihug/Vodafone, change to another ISP. Problem solved.

    If I had enough spare time and a decent Internet connection I could trust
    using, I would have already changed ISPs. It's not an easy process since i't
    not just my emails, etc. that need to be changed.
    Your Name, Apr 2, 2009
  13. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Your Name wrote:

    >> If you don't like Ihug/Vodafone, change to another ISP. Problem solved.

    > If I had enough spare time and a decent Internet connection I could trust
    > using, I would have already changed ISPs. It's not an easy process since i't
    > not just my emails, etc. that need to be changed.

    Serves you right for tieing yourself to an ISP by using the address they
    give you free with the connection - change to a live.com or gmail.com
    address once and dont have to do it again when you find again that an
    ISP will not support your obsolete operating system connecting over an
    obsolete medium.
    Richard, Apr 3, 2009