Re: A certain organisation rejecting email if not posted through Xtra's SMTP server

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew G Brown, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Actually many people do this . We do for 1

    Why ?

    It allows us to not receive mail from known dynamic netblocks , IE: Xtra or
    WAVE's dialup ports. The theory is that if its Dynamic IP then it shouldn't
    be sending mail and can use an upstream MTA. Many MTA's reject mail for just
    this reason as dialup & cable connection make up a large amount of the
    spamming hosts. \Note that this technique is virtually non effective these
    days. Read about Dialup User Stopper at
    http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/enduser.html

    Matt

    Matthew G Brown, Jul 10, 2003

  2. In article <pan.2003.07.11.06.54.24.603440@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:28:41 +1200, Matthew G Brown wrote:
    >
    > > Actually many people do this . We do for 1
    > >
    > > Why ?
    > >
    > > It allows us to not receive mail from known dynamic netblocks , IE: Xtra
    > > or WAVE's dialup ports. The theory is that if its Dynamic IP then it
    > > shouldn't be sending mail and can use an upstream MTA. Many MTA's reject
    > > mail for just this reason as dialup & cable connection make up a large
    > > amount of the spamming hosts. \Note that this technique is virtually non
    > > effective these days. Read about Dialup User Stopper at
    > > http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/enduser.html

    > Well it's nothing more than a pain in the neck. I have to post through
    > Xtra's SMTP server only for my mate who's ISP is Wave.co.nz . Everyone
    > else I can send to using my own server.
    >
    > I want to be as unreliant on Xtra's "services" as I can be - so that if I
    > wish to change ISP I'd only have to alter settings on two machines.
    > (the network server and the router)
    >
    > Lennier

    I did try to set up my own mail server for our lan and ran into the same
    problem as you - not with wave but with other organisations. You won't be
    able to send your mail into an ihug account that has spam/virus blocking
    enabled either, for instance. There are services who do a dns lookup on
    incoming mail even (directly as well as through a subscription service) -
    so unless you are sending from a registered domain with a fixed IP you
    won't get mail in there at all...

    After shagging around a hell of a lot of time to no end I decided that
    the best thing to do is to simply set up a relay mail server at my end.
    Mercury32 is up at all times on my gateway machine now. I have the MerRi
    plugin daemon which takes Mercury from offline to online the moment an
    interface with the 'net is open; the rest of the time the smtp server
    accepts calls from the lan regardless and queues them for delivery when
    online. Perfect solution. Only thing I ever will have to change is where
    the relay server dumps its mail, as you describe above. All client
    machnes and client software are umtouched by any changes.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 12, 2003

  3. In article <pan.2003.07.12.12.03.14.420385@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > The only problem with this is.... I am not using ANY version of Windows on
    > my servers - they are Linux machines - and Mercury32 is a Windows
    > application. I need good (non-Microsoft) Linux solutions.
    >

    > Lennier

    I had a feeling you might be :) from some of your other posts.
    Surely there must be a decent relay-type mail server for *nix.

    I guess my solution wouldn't work since the windows daemon would not be
    able to poll your connection status even if you ran the server under wine
    or vmware. <sigh>

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Matthew G Brown

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:03:16 +1200, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:25:18 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
    >
    >> After shagging around a hell of a lot of time to no end I decided that
    >> the best thing to do is to simply set up a relay mail server at my end.
    >> Mercury32 is up at all times on my gateway machine now. I have the MerRi
    >> plugin daemon which takes Mercury from offline to online the moment an
    >> interface with the 'net is open; the rest of the time the smtp server
    >> accepts calls from the lan regardless and queues them for delivery when
    >> online. Perfect solution. Only thing I ever will have to change is where
    >> the relay server dumps its mail, as you describe above. All client
    >> machnes and client software are umtouched by any changes.

    >The only problem with this is.... I am not using ANY version of Windows on
    >my servers - they are Linux machines - and Mercury32 is a Windows
    >application. I need good (non-Microsoft) Linux solutions.
    >

    >Lennier

    What ??? The Linux world failing you now, Lennier ? ;-)

    --
    DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

    R-Slicks, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Matthew G Brown

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2003.07.11.06.54.24.603440@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:28:41 +1200, Matthew G Brown wrote:
    >
    > > Actually many people do this . We do for 1
    > >
    > > Why ?
    > >
    > > It allows us to not receive mail from known dynamic netblocks , IE: Xtra
    > > or WAVE's dialup ports. The theory is that if its Dynamic IP then it
    > > shouldn't be sending mail and can use an upstream MTA. Many MTA's reject
    > > mail for just this reason as dialup & cable connection make up a large
    > > amount of the spamming hosts. \Note that this technique is virtually non
    > > effective these days. Read about Dialup User Stopper at
    > > http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/enduser.html

    > Well it's nothing more than a pain in the neck. I have to post through
    > Xtra's SMTP server only for my mate who's ISP is Wave.co.nz . Everyone
    > else I can send to using my own server.
    >
    > I want to be as unreliant on Xtra's "services" as I can be - so that if I
    > wish to change ISP I'd only have to alter settings on two machines.
    > (the network server and the router)

    Can you explain, if you hate Xtra so much, why you are still using them
    at all?

    Mainlander, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Matthew G Brown

    Kim Guest

    I use VisNetic MailServer to relay mail through my ISP. It's a very
    inexpensive server and works well. Also has spam filtering and anti
    virus software. http://www.deerfield.com

    Kimmage

    Kim, Jul 15, 2003
  7. Matthew G Brown

    Lennier Guest

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Matthew G Brown

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:01:27 -0700, Kim wrote:

    > I use VisNetic MailServer to relay mail through my ISP. It's a very
    > inexpensive server and works well. Also has spam filtering and anti
    > virus software. http://www.deerfield.com

    Does that programme run on Linux?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003