Re: A Blast from the Past

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Sep 24, 2012.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Sep 24, 2012

  2. philo <> writes:

    > On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
    >> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
    >> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
    >> was a kid.
    >>
    >> http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seers-camera-catalogue-1961/

    > Great find!

    +1

    > In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
    > just about everyone

    In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local camera
    store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around any more,
    but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working his first job
    and being paid minimum wage, *could* have considered going to that level
    if it seemed the right thing. (Something from Nikon would in fact have
    been a better choice; the Sensorex had some neat aspects, and did fairly
    well for me, but I traded it off around four years later for Pentax and
    Leica gear, whereas I would have hung on to Nikon I think.)

    (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets you
    do quite a lot.)
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 24, 2012

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 09/24/2012 12:41 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > philo <> writes:
    >
    >> On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
    >>> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
    >>> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
    >>> was a kid.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seers-camera-catalogue-1961/

    >> Great find!

    > +1
    >
    >> In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
    >> just about everyone

    > In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local camera
    > store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around any more,
    > but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working his first job
    > and being paid minimum wage, *could* have considered going to that level
    > if it seemed the right thing. (Something from Nikon would in fact have
    > been a better choice; the Sensorex had some neat aspects, and did fairly
    > well for me, but I traded it off around four years later for Pentax and
    > Leica gear, whereas I would have hung on to Nikon I think.)
    >
    > (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets you
    > do quite a lot.)

    In 1970 I was in the Army and through the PX purchased a Pentax with a
    50mm lens for $147 I am pretty sure that was a discounted price
    but considering I made $249 it was a lot of money.

    Still have the camera

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Sep 25, 2012
  4. philo

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <2012092505322943658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    >Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg >

    Hah! That must be what people are remembering when they ask me if
    my OM-D is a film camera.

    Paul Ciszek, Sep 25, 2012
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    On 09/25/2012 07:32 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-09-25 05:24:31 -0700, philo <> said:

    <snip>

    >> In 1970 I was in the Army and through the PX purchased a Pentax with a
    >> 50mm lens for $147 I am pretty sure that was a discounted price
    >> but considering I made $249 it was a lot of money.
    >>
    >> Still have the camera

    > Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
    > < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg >

    It was the Spotmatic. It seemed to advanced as it had a built-n light meter!
    philo, Sep 26, 2012
  6. philo

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:49:53 PM UTC+1, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <2012092505322943658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >
    > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?

    > >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg >

    > Hah! That must be what people are remembering when they ask me if
    >
    > my OM-D is a film camera.

    I think my only OMD is enola gay :)

    Whisky-dave, Sep 26, 2012
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    On 09/26/2012 07:04 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> philo <> writes:

    >> when I >> was a kid.

    >>> Great find!

    >> +1
    >>
    >>> In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
    >>> just about everyone

    >> In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local
    >> camera store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around
    >> any more, but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working
    >> his first job and being paid minimum wage, could have considered
    >> going to that level if it seemed the right thing. (Something from
    >> Nikon would in fact have been a better choice; the Sensorex had some
    >> neat aspects, and did fairly well for me, but I traded it off around
    >> four years later for Pentax and Leica gear, whereas I would have hung
    >> on to Nikon I think.)
    >>
    >> (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets
    >> you do quite a lot.)

    > In 1961 I bought my first slr - a Miranda D with interchangable
    > viewfinders and a 50mm 2,8 preset lens ( got a Miranda 250mm tele a
    > month later) the cost was ?69 and the lens quality was superb - shutter
    > speeds only went to 1/500 sec. The focusing screen was user
    > interchangable but took quite a while and was fiddly. I also purchased
    > the magnifying viefinder which (if I am right was 1x and 5x depending
    > on which way your eye piece was). The lens mount was a dual one with
    > preset lenses using the inner mount and auto lenses using the outer
    > mount.

    In 1957 I was thrilled to move up from my Brownie box camera
    to a Brownie with a built-in flash :)
    I kept using it until 1970!
    (Still have it)

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Sep 26, 2012
  8. Eric Stevens <> writes:

    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:04:46 -0500, "Neil Ellwood"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >>> when I >> was a kid.

    >>> +1

    >>> In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local
    >>> camera store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around
    >>> any more, but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working
    >>> his first job and being paid minimum wage, could have considered
    >>> going to that level if it seemed the right thing. (Something from
    >>> Nikon would in fact have been a better choice; the Sensorex had some
    >>> neat aspects, and did fairly well for me, but I traded it off around
    >>> four years later for Pentax and Leica gear, whereas I would have hung
    >>> on to Nikon I think.)
    >>>
    >>> (The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets
    >>> you do quite a lot.)

    >>In 1961 I bought my first slr - a Miranda D with interchangable
    >>viewfinders and a 50mm 2,8 preset lens ( got a Miranda 250mm tele a
    >>month later) the cost was ?69 and the lens quality was superb - shutter
    >>speeds only went to 1/500 sec. The focusing screen was user
    >>interchangable but took quite a while and was fiddly. I also purchased
    >>the magnifying viefinder which (if I am right was 1x and 5x depending
    >>on which way your eye piece was). The lens mount was a dual one with
    >>preset lenses using the inner mount and auto lenses using the outer
    >>mount.

    > Sounds much the same as the Miranda gear that I bought at about the
    > same time as you. I remember the shutter packed up early in the
    > camera's life and I eventually got rid of it as I could _never_ obtain
    > sharp photographs, even under test conditions.

    I liked the bottom-weighted metering, and I liked the shutter-release
    location (front rather than top, making verticals easier to hold
    stably), and I liked the interchangeable viewfinders (I never got
    another viewfinder, just the basic prism, but you could take it off and
    look down into the body from above to get essentially a waist-level
    finder).

    I didn't have particular trouble with sharpness for 8x10 prints (or
    sometimes slightly greater enlargement due to cropping).
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 27, 2012
  9. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:07:36 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    : On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
    : > This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
    : > photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
    : > was a kid.
    : >
    : > http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seers-camera-catalogue-1961/
    : >
    :
    :
    :
    : Great find!
    :
    : In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
    : just about everyone

    That's an SP! I had one of those, along with 50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/3.5, and 135mm
    f/3.5 lenses. I traded in my S2 body to get it, and later traded in the lot on
    an F-2 with the same set of lenses. A bit later I bought my wife a Nikkormat
    with a 50mm f/2 lens. We were pretty well equipped for those days!

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 29, 2012
  10. philo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:58:42 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    : Eric Stevens <> writes:
    :
    : > On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:04:46 -0500, "Neil Ellwood"
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >>David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> philo <> writes:
    : >>>
    : >>> > On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
    : >>> >> This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
    : >>> >> photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this
    : >>> when I >> was a kid.
    : >>> > >
[...]

    IIRC, most of the earliest SLRs had the shutter release on the front. I think
    it was because the same button stopped down the lens (either manually or by
    releasing the spring-loaded preset) and triggered the shutter.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 29, 2012