Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Heslop, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Sasha wrote:

    > Paul Heslop <> writes:
    > > XP is memory hungry but you can turn off all the whistles and bells and
    > > it will run much better... but the one thing I can say is my pc has only
    > > 256 mb ram and it has NEVER crashed with XP in over a year (probably
    > > hexed it now!), no blue screens, nothing. MY 98se machines (two of them)
    > > used to blue screen all the time.
    > >
    > > Once you have trimmed XP down to your needs you will wonder how you got
    > > along without it.
    > >
    > > My son has 98 on his newer and faster machine and complains about the
    > > speed of mine, but he also complains that his is constantly crashing
    > > because 98se can't keep up with anything.

    > Well, it depends on applications: I run Photoshop 4-7 for many years on win 3.1,
    > 95, 98 and it have never crashed. A friend of mine use XP for gaming and web
    > surfing and have a blue screen each day. So, there is absolutely no need to
    > upgrade from 98 to XP, both are unstable but only if you run 'unstable'
    > programms.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > ASK

    Probably true Sasha, but I use games, programmes hi speed web etc. I do
    have an old TV card which, if I try to change screen resolution, reboots
    the machine. I was more disappointed in losing my old peripherals than
    anything else with XP
    --
    Paul. (This machine will, will not communicate)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Paul Heslop

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Heslop wrote:

    >>>Probably true Sasha, but I use games, programmes hi speed web etc. I do
    >>>have an old TV card which, if I try to change screen resolution, reboots
    >>>the machine. I was more disappointed in losing my old peripherals than
    >>>anything else with XP

    >>An old scanner is the ONLY reason I still have Win98SE on my older machine.

    > It's sad to lose equipment you know and love using. I now have a scanner
    > which was a free gift with the machine. It sounds like an old airplane
    > when it moves!

    Grin. So does my old one, but it continues to work perfectly. I am
    reluctant to replace it, even though it is old, uses a parallel
    interface, and is only 300x600 resolution. I seldom use a scanner, but
    it continues to serve.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Ron Hunter wrote:

    > >>An old scanner is the ONLY reason I still have Win98SE on my older machine.

    > > It's sad to lose equipment you know and love using. I now have a scanner
    > > which was a free gift with the machine. It sounds like an old airplane
    > > when it moves!

    > Grin. So does my old one, but it continues to work perfectly. I am
    > reluctant to replace it, even though it is old, uses a parallel
    > interface, and is only 300x600 resolution. I seldom use a scanner, but
    > it continues to serve.

    Mine was a Primax Colorado... it worked like a dream... and so did my
    Epson 660 printer and small graphics tablet, all of which bit the dust
    on the change over.

    Paul Heslop, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Paul Heslop

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Heslop wrote:

    >>>It's sad to lose equipment you know and love using. I now have a scanner
    >>>which was a free gift with the machine. It sounds like an old airplane
    >>>when it moves!

    >>Grin. So does my old one, but it continues to work perfectly. I am
    >>reluctant to replace it, even though it is old, uses a parallel
    >>interface, and is only 300x600 resolution. I seldom use a scanner, but
    >>it continues to serve.

    > Mine was a Primax Colorado... it worked like a dream... and so did my
    > Epson 660 printer and small graphics tablet, all of which bit the dust
    > on the change over.

    I gave the Win98SE machine to my wife, whose needs are less critical
    than mine, and thus can use all the old stuff although working with her
    computer is pretty traumatic these days, it's SO slow.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Paul Heslop

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > Ron Hunter wrote:

    > >>Grin. So does my old one, but it continues to work perfectly. I am
    > >>reluctant to replace it, even though it is old, uses a parallel
    > >>interface, and is only 300x600 resolution. I seldom use a scanner, but
    > >>it continues to serve.

    > > Mine was a Primax Colorado... it worked like a dream... and so did my
    > > Epson 660 printer and small graphics tablet, all of which bit the dust
    > > on the change over.

    > I gave the Win98SE machine to my wife, whose needs are less critical
    > than mine, and thus can use all the old stuff although working with her
    > computer is pretty traumatic these days, it's SO slow.

    I must admit I'm not sure I could go back now. I almost did, at first,
    but bit the bullet and stuck with the none crashing XP

    Paul Heslop, Jul 22, 2003