Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olin K. McDaniel, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:49:19 +0000, Jonathan Wilson
    <> wrote:

    (much snipped)

    >fragmentation is less of an issue, but i would recomend de-fragging a
    >disk once a week... if nothing else it gives the disk a good work out,
    >but if you have never de-fraged a disk in years, DONT DO IT!!!! While
    >its good to work out all the disk frequently, I have known 4 people
    >that did a de-frag for the first time between 1-3 years after purchase
    >whos drives promptly failed !

    (more snipped)
    >--
    >Jonathan Wilson.
    >www.somethingerotic.com

    Excuse the slightly off topic response - but if a disk has not been
    de-fragged for an extended period of time, there is a much simpler and
    faster, plus safer approach. Just do a full backup, reformat then
    restore.

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."
    Olin K. McDaniel, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Olin K. McDaniel

    Tom Scales Guest

    No it won't. A Ghost restore will do an exact restore, fragmented and all.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Olin K. McDaniel

    Rick Guest

    Maybe on your planet, Tom. Not here on Earth. Or unless
    you use the -NTC- switch ;-)

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 12, 2003