Re: 98 vs. XP for digital photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tiny Tim, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I'm about to upgrade to an IBM subnotebook with 256 MB RAM
    > (expandable to 1024 MB). This machine comes with XP (until now I've
    > been using 98SE). I read somewhere that XP is a memory hog, occupying
    > up to half a GB.
    >
    > Now I might upgrade the memory later, but I wasn't planning to do it
    > now. And I certainly would add memory to be able to use XP. Ideally
    > all computer resources should be available for image processing.
    >
    > How much faster is 98SE than XP ? How much memory does it burn ?

    See MS comparison of the two here -

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/wxpvswin98.asp
    Tiny Tim, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Tiny Tim

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <belo02$69slr$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    > > I'm about to upgrade to an IBM subnotebook with 256 MB RAM
    > > (expandable to 1024 MB). This machine comes with XP (until now I've
    > > been using 98SE). I read somewhere that XP is a memory hog, occupying
    > > up to half a GB.
    > >
    > > Now I might upgrade the memory later, but I wasn't planning to do it
    > > now. And I certainly would add memory to be able to use XP. Ideally
    > > all computer resources should be available for image processing.
    > >
    > > How much faster is 98SE than XP ? How much memory does it burn ?

    > See MS comparison of the two here -
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/wxpvswin98.asp

    Hmmm... I don't trust MS comparisons. Anyway, I've ordered the
    subnotebook and also a 512 MB upgrade. Total RAM will be 768 MB -
    hopefully enough.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Jul 11, 2003