Re: 801 - default IP for Console?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AnyBody43, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. AnyBody43

    AnyBody43 Guest

    "erm" <> wrote
    > get a cable or adaptor off of ebay
    > "John Geddes" <> wrote in message
    > > I have bought an old 801 but the RJ45-to-serial adapters are missing,
    > > so the only access to the console is via an RJ45 connection from a PC.
    > >
    > > I presume I simply need to Telnet into the router. But I can't find
    > > any online mention of the default IP address for the console?
    > >
    > > If the console IP address has been changed from the default, is there
    > > any way of resetting everything to factory defaults without accessing
    > > the console first?

    You NEED to get a console cable which is RS232 signalling
    at 9600, no parity , 1 stop bit, no handshaking.

    You want the 9 pin "Terminal" headshell and a blue or black
    ROLLOVER cable, OR one of the new blue moulded cables that are
    RJ45 to 9 pin serial.

    Plug it into a serial port on your PC and use Hyperterminal.

    There is no reason that you couldn't get a headshell from radio
    shack and figure out how to wire it yourself to use a standard
    patch cable. You will though need to be very careful if you are
    not to need many many headshells.

    If you have a modern version of windows you will be OK but old
    versions of hyperterminal did not do "Break" signalling
    properly.

    Even if you get the address of the ethernet there is bound to
    be a password on the telnet access. Many people do use
    Cisco - Cisco for lab environments but not for production.

    There are articles on password recovery on the cisco web site.

    AnyBody43, Apr 1, 2004