Re: 80 conductor cables

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ghost, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    > Your original statement:
    >
    > "40 conductor cables are electrically the same at each connector- it
    > matters not what gets plugged in to what...
    >
    > on 80 conductor cables, each connector is electrically different from
    > each other- thats why they are different colors."
    >
    > Now, if you are using master/slave jumpering, then each connector is
    > electrically the SAME on each connector. Therefore, if you were
    > using traditional jumpering and replaced a 40 conductor cable with an
    > 80 conductor cable, the blue part could go anywhere and it won't
    > matter.
    >
    > Semantics? Sure. For the record, I thought we were talking about
    > master/slave jumpering and not cable select.

    OMG!!! Does it ever stop!!! The connectors are STILL electrically
    different... whether you are making use of the extra wires or not, they
    are still different!!!

    > > Now, pin 34 is an extra ground wire. On a 40 conductor cable, it
    > > is not used. on an 80 conductor cable the ground wire is detected
    > > by the mobo to tell it there is an ultra DMA cable connected to
    > > it. This is important.
    > >
    > > Pin 28 designates the master / slave relationship. So, on the
    > > master connector- which is the opposite end from the mobo, the
    > > wire is live (or connected to the mobo), and on the slave drive
    > > (the middle connector) the wire is open (or not connected to the
    > > mobo).
    > >
    > > True again, you can still use the old jumper method, but you might
    > > be doing your customer a disservice if you do- the mobo might not
    > > treat the cable as ATA100. You might also be doing yourself a
    > > disservice because you could waste your own time building or
    > > repairing a system by not having the jumpers configured correctly
    > > and then having to redo it when it doesn't work right.

    > Well, yes, I agree with all that, but again, I think you are
    > injecting your opinion that cable select is better than master/slave
    > jumpering and I totally disagree with you. Mike Meyers likes
    > master/slave jumpering over cable select, so I guess we should all
    > throw out his book for yours, eh?

    Do some research please...

    > > Look, us old-timers do not have all the answers- nobody does. But
    > > dammit, consider the fact that some of use were working on
    > > computers when some of you were still in diapers. That being the
    > > case, just consider we might have something to teach, and you
    > > might not know quite everything just yet.

    > I never claimed to!
    >
    > > There is no need for posturing- who is more right than someone
    > > else. You might be here to learn, some of are here to teach. If
    > > you already know everything, go away for we cannot teach you
    > > anything. If you know everything, then you cannot teach either,
    > > because you will likely be wrong, and not admit it.

    > Yes Ghost, the blue connector goes to the motherboard. I know that
    > now. Even when I didn't know exactly why, I always got it right
    > given by the spacing of the cable. I think the point of what I was
    > trying to get across was lost. If I get Ghost's All-In-One book and
    > read it and cram it into my brain, then I can go to his shop, pass
    > his entrance test (taken from a A+ pre-test) and tell him about his
    > 80 conductor cable, because I have memorized certain technical facts
    > from his book.
    >
    > What's the I/O address of COM2? I don't know, and I don't remember
    > and I don't care! If and when I need to know it, I'll look it up.
    > I just suggested some open ended questions to better guage your
    > candidates, which was my opinion, a suggestion, and nothing more.

    Ya know what, *I* do not know what the I/O addresses for crap are either
    anymore- thats why I always had a cheat sheet in my tool box. It doesnt
    matter because: A) I know wheere to look it up, and B) nobody uses that
    stuff much anymore.

    When I was on the CompTIA panel (SME) to do the new A+ test last time,
    that was one of my biggest peeves. I complained rather loudly to CompTIA
    over many, many questions. I do not care how many pins a socket 7 CPU
    has- it does not matter. I do not care about I/O or DMA addresses because
    it is technical details that are not used much anymore. I do not care how
    many transistors an 8088 chip has. These were some of the actual
    questions I rejected. They are not germaine to our job.

    The things that are on my test are much simpler than that. It is everyday
    stuff that every tech with about a weeks worth of experience should know.
    Adam, I think you would do well on the exam, but if you didnt, you would
    have to re-evaluate your skill set. I would hope you would know what the
    ohm reading for a good fuse should read, or the ohm reading for a bad
    fuse. I would hope you know what the yellow wire in the molex should read
    12VDC. I would hope you would recognize that 24VDC should not be expected
    at the molex connector. I would hope you would know the black wires from
    the PSU are ground. And you would know the red wire at the molex is
    5VDC. This is how simple the questions are. And it is stuff you, as a
    tech, need to know, not useless trivia.

    What you fail to realize Adam, and when you are in a position of employer
    you will fully come to understand, is applicants lie. Not all, but very
    many. Every applicant so far has had years of experience, and built tons
    of boxes, and diagnosed thousands of problems. How does one verify that?
    Ask questions! When someone claims to be able to do all that, yet looks
    at that IDE cable and says "Well, I don't think it is a floppy cable"
    (Yes, one actually did say this), then you are pretty sure he is full of
    crap. He/she better know how to use a $10.00 volt meter. They should know
    the correct answer when a customer complains the computer is still not
    fixed, is that you offer to re-service the computer.
    Ghost, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Ladies please! I'm trying to plug in my serial ATA cable!!

    NK
    Nigel Kendrick, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Ghost

    allan angus Guest

    sorry before any1 sends a reply tellin me im wrong i know theres 80 wires
    not 80 pins

    allan angus, Aug 7, 2003