Re: 8 by 10 in dots?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Malcolm, Nov 12, 2012.

  1. rdoc <> wrote:
    > Hello,

    > If my Paint Shop Pro is set to work at 300 dpi, what is the true size for an
    > 8X10?

    > 2400X3000????

    > I'm not just interested in the ratio, I'd like to know what size to actually
    > make it view at 8X10.

    DPI is "dots per inch", which is how some printers combine their
    coloured inks to correspond to a pixel of a certain colour. For
    different printers different numbers of dots of the number of
    different ink colours are used to make up one effective coloured
    pixel. So dpi has to be divided by that number to get pixels per inch.

    But "view" sounds like you're talking about looking at something on a
    monitor, and monitor resolution is described in pixels rather than
    printer dots. In fact on most monitors each pixel is made up of three
    coloured dots of varying intensity, as you can see if you look
    closely, but conventional monitor resolution is described in pixels
    rather than the larger number of dots used to construct the pixels.

    Usually the dpi setting in an editor has no effect at all on
    displayable size on a monitor. It also often has no effect on printing
    either, despite what printers often say. In several years of having
    some of my photographs printed by a variety of commercial printing
    services from all sizes from book illustations to large exhibition
    quality prints I've often had them get back to me because they'd
    looked at the dpi setting in my EXIF data and told me that my image
    wasn't of high enough resolution, and could I please send them a
    proper high resolution image. In every case all I ever did was to edit
    that dpi number in the EXIF data. I made no other change to the
    already large high resolution image. And in every case they thanked me
    for sending them a much better bigger higher resolution image.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Nov 12, 2012