Re: $75000 lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Ciszek, Sep 24, 2012.

  1. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >Supposedly Kate Middleton was photographed with a $75000 lens. Does
    >anybody know what kind of lens is that?

    There was a Carl Zeiss Oberkochen f/5.6 / 1000mm Mirotar lens breifly
    avialable by special order for the Hasselblad; perhaps that fell in
    this price range. This lens was going for $45,000 on e-bay:

    http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/02/06/canons-5200mm-mirror.html

    Perhaps it fetched $75,000 new. If I am doing the math correctly, a
    full frame camera screwed onto the end of this lens, from three quarters
    of a mile away, could photograph a 6ft tall person such that their height
    took up one third of the (landscape) image. The latter was my crude guess
    as to what sort of margin you would need if you were trying to keep a
    celebrity in-frame and wait for her to strike a usable pose.

    Paul Ciszek, Sep 24, 2012