Re: 70-643 Chapter 1, page 78: suggested practices, practice 1 (revisited)

Discussion in 'MCITP' started by Ans Hekerman, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Ans Hekerman

    Ans Hekerman Guest

    A new question on this topic: (Re: 70-643 Chapter 1, page 78: suggested
    practices, practice 1)

    With sysprep I succesfully made a wim-file of my Vista-with-Office2007 OS.
    The size of this file is about 21 GB. I should like to deploy this through
    WDS from Server1 to a new Virtual Machine.
    I tried to add it to the image-store of Server1 (as I did with the Windows
    Server 2008).
    When I try the "Capture ISO Image" (CD-button in the Virtual PC menu),
    something happens, because I see, that I can then choose "Release
    myImage.wim". But the image is not found then on de virtual CD of Server1.
    So I cannot add it to image-store this way. I can also not put this wim-file
    on a DVD and use the pysical CD-drive of the host, because this wim-file is
    much to big to be put on a DVD. I would need 5 DVD's (4,7 GB each), but I
    know no way for spanning DVD's (is this anyway possible?)
    My question: what to do with a wim-file of about 21 GB on the hard disk of
    the host-OS, if you want to deploy it on a guest, or on another
    bare-metal-machine?
    kind regards, Ans Hekerman
    Ans Hekerman, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Ans Hekerman

    nbauer Guest

    On Dec 12, 5:16 am, "Ans Hekerman" <> wrote:
    > A new question on this topic: (Re: 70-643 Chapter 1, page 78: suggested
    > practices, practice 1)
    >
    > With sysprep I succesfully made a wim-file of my Vista-with-Office2007 OS..
    > The size of this file is about 21 GB. I should like to deploy this through
    > WDS from Server1 to a new Virtual Machine.
    > I tried to add it to the image-store of Server1 (as I did with the Windows
    > Server 2008).
    > When I try the "Capture ISO Image" (CD-button in the Virtual PC menu),
    > something happens, because I see, that I can then choose "Release
    > myImage.wim". But the image is not found then on de virtual CD of Server1..
    > So I cannot add it to image-store this way. I can also not put this wim-file
    > on a DVD and use the pysical CD-drive of the host, because this wim-file is
    > much to big to be put on a DVD. I would need 5 DVD's (4,7 GB each), but I
    > know no way for spanning DVD's (is this anyway possible?)
    > My question: what to do with a wim-file of about 21 GB on the hard disk of
    > the host-OS, if you want to deploy it on a guest, or on another
    > bare-metal-machine?
    > kind regards, Ans Hekerman

    Ans,
    How many machines do you need to deploy to?
    nbauer, Dec 12, 2008

  3. Ans Hekerman

    Ans Hekerman Guest

    Hallo N,
    I am only exercising: so I try to deploy to one Virtual Machine in the
    Network of Server1. Or (if this will not work with WDS, for being the file
    too big) I want to try to deploy is to my desktop ( a seperate partition).
    On this desktop there is already XP, so it would become a multibootsystem. I
    had already Windows Server 2003, and also Windows Server 2008 on that
    partion. That didn't make any problem.
    greetz, Ans

    Ans Hekerman, Dec 14, 2008