Re: 70-291 - FAILED!! CLOSE...Got 681 - Questions regarding dns zone transfers..

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by str8eiht, May 14, 2004.

  1. str8eiht

    str8eiht Guest

    Sorry for the DOUBLE POST

    Wrote it today, studied some test preps and my Microsoft Officia
    Curriculum
    at school.

    I got the adaptive version which was 35 questions. A lot more specifi
    than
    the 290 which I already passed (and 270)

    I was weakest on the Name Resolution stuff, that was the kicker

    To anyone who might be able to answer this;

    They ask you to choose multiple replication partners for ZON
    TRANSFERS, and
    when u look at the properties for the zone in the exhibit, the type I
    ACTI
    VE DIRECTORY INTERGRATED??

    What gives??
    I thought that Zone Transfers assume the zone type is set t
    TRADITIONAL..
    as in NON-ACTIVE DIRECTORTY ZONE YES??

    ..

    -AD uses partner replication
    -Trad uses Zone Transfers.

    I was sure that was the rule, but it came up 3-4 times on the exam

    I was sure that zone transfers were a thing of the past with Act Di
    Int Zon
    es???

    I'm gonna buy a new book just on 291, I was thinking about followin
    SYBEX b
    ook,

    http://tinyurl.com/ysbd8

    also found this more specific book JUST ON DNS in 2003 from O'Reilly

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnswinsvr/index.html

    any other recommendations??

    Gonna sit the exam again in June after school finishes
    Last one I need for MCSA

    Regards

    Owe

    -
    str8eih

    str8eiht, May 14, 2004

  2. On Fri, 14 May 2004 17:21:00 -0500, str8eiht
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry for the DOUBLE POST
    >
    >Wrote it today, studied some test preps and my Microsoft Official
    >Curriculum
    >at school.
    >
    >I got the adaptive version which was 35 questions. A lot more specific
    >than
    >the 290 which I already passed (and 270)
    >
    >I was weakest on the Name Resolution stuff, that was the kicker
    >
    >To anyone who might be able to answer this;
    >
    >They ask you to choose multiple replication partners for ZONE
    >TRANSFERS, and
    >when u look at the properties for the zone in the exhibit, the type IS
    >ACTI
    >VE DIRECTORY INTERGRATED??
    >
    >What gives??
    >I thought that Zone Transfers assume the zone type is set to
    >TRADITIONAL..
    >as in NON-ACTIVE DIRECTORTY ZONE YES??
    >
    >.
    >
    >-AD uses partner replication
    >-Trad uses Zone Transfers.
    >
    >I was sure that was the rule, but it came up 3-4 times on the exam
    >
    >I was sure that zone transfers were a thing of the past with Act Dir
    >Int Zon
    >es???
    >
    >I'm gonna buy a new book just on 291, I was thinking about following
    >SYBEX b
    >ook,
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/ysbd8
    >
    >also found this more specific book JUST ON DNS in 2003 from O'Reilly
    >
    >http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnswinsvr/index.html
    >
    >any other recommendations??
    >
    >Gonna sit the exam again in June after school finishes
    >Last one I need for MCSA
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Owen

    Sympathies
    I passed 292 in Feb and just passed 290 but failed 291.
    Recapping I experienced what you did. FRUSTRATION - I managed 681 too.

    (if you want to know why I'm doing 290+291 look at the certs that dont
    accept 292 in their place at the MS site)

    The type of question you're discussing here is one of the infamous
    "choose the least incorrect based on understanding the technologies"

    In this case I believe you may have missed the "secondary" being
    pulled from the ADI Primary and the settings to allow zone transfers
    either that or maybe you missed the need for zone transfers if you're
    going to query the zone directly from a client PC.

    I got CANED on subnetting and subnetting class b and subnetting a
    class C (4 quezzies all took 5+ mins each to answer once I'd worked
    out the binary - NO SCIENTIFIC CALCULATOR!!!!!!!!!!)

    Retaking next week after a solid IP revision

    ================================
    My Hero:
    (remove vroomfondle to email me)
    ================================

    Marlin Munrow, May 15, 2004

  3. str8eiht

    str8eiht Guest

    >(if you want to know why I'm doing 290+291 look at the >certs tha

    dont
    >accept 292 in their place at the MS site)

    70-292 is upgrade from 2000 right, i'm on a pure 2003 track , n
    upgrades

    >In this case I believe you may have missed >the "secondary" being
    >pulled from the ADI Primary and the settings to allow >one transfers
    >ither that or maybe you missed the need for zone >ransfers if you're
    >oing to query the zone directly from a client PC.

    right! that's got to be it! i'm unfarmilliar with both of thos
    situations so i'll study up on that on the new material i've aqquired

    > got CANED on subnetting

    right for sure, i coverered subnetting and supernetting in my cisc
    course, but i'm still gonna review the MICROSOFT way of doing thing
    just to be absoultly sure

    >etaking next week after a solid IP revision

    good luc

    -
    str8eih

    str8eiht, May 16, 2004