Re: 64 bits

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PA Bear [MS MVP], May 10, 2010.

  1. [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
    crosspost]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], May 10, 2010

  2. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    James Kosin Guest

    On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
    > [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
    > crosspost]
    >
    > Tester wrote:
    >> Hello there,
    >> What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
    >> system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
    >> programs?
    >> Thank you

    Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

    James Kosin, May 10, 2010

  3. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Bob I Guest

    James Kosin wrote:
    > On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
    >
    >>[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
    >>crosspost]
    >>
    >>Tester wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello there,
    >>>What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
    >>>system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
    >>>programs?
    >>>Thank you

    > Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

    Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
    lacking.

    Bob I, May 10, 2010
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Paul Guest

    James Kosin wrote:
    > On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
    >> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
    >> crosspost]
    >>
    >> Tester wrote:
    >>> Hello there,
    >>> What would be the advantages/disadvantages of running an operating
    >>> system XP or Windows 7 on 64 bits, can I still run all my 32 bits
    >>> programs?
    >>> Thank you

    > Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

    For comments on WinXP x64 operating system, read the
    customer reviews here. By reading this, you may avoid
    making a mistake. (This is separate from the initial
    question.)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16832116378

    Later 64 bit OSes, may have better end user reviews.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

    If you look around, you may be able to find an "Upgrade Advisor", or
    compatibility information, to help you in your decision.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

    The "Upgrade Advisor" has these prerequisites.

    * Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2
    * .NET Framework 2.0 or higher if running Windows XP

    Paul

    Paul, May 10, 2010
  5. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    John Turco Guest

    Bob I wrote:

    > James Kosin wrote:
    > > On 5/10/2010 2:42 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
    > >
    > >>[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general newsgroup via
    > >>crosspost]

    > > Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

    > Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
    > lacking.

    I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
    it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
    install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
    program), because it's a 32-bit application.

    Oddly, however, it had no real qualms about Paint Shop Pro 7 (also 32-bit)!

    Yeah, I know...Communicator is an old product (2003) from a defunct company,
    and PSP 7 is even hoarier (2000). Regardless, I love both of 'em and want
    to extend their respective lives, as long as possible.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 31, 2010
  6. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > Bob I wrote:
    >>
    >> James Kosin wrote:

    >> > Almost all should work... with only a few exceptions.

    >> Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
    >> lacking.

    > I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
    > it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
    > install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
    > program), because it's a 32-bit application.
    >
    > Oddly, however, it had no real qualms about Paint Shop Pro 7 (also
    > 32-bit)!
    >
    > Yeah, I know...Communicator is an old product (2003) from a defunct
    > company,
    > and PSP 7 is even hoarier (2000). Regardless, I love both of 'em and want
    > to extend their respective lives, as long as possible.
    >
    > --
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>
    >
    > Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>

    The 64-bit os can run any 32-bit application I've tried, but some older
    applications used a 16-bit installer to install their 32-bit application.
    16-bit software will not run on x64, so the installer fails even though the
    application might work if you can get it installed. Maybe you can find
    alternative installation instructions for x64?

    Paul Shapiro, May 31, 2010
  7. Mostly likely they have 16-bit installers which cannot run on 64-bit
    Windows.

    The 32-bit apps will run on Win 7 64-bit if you can figure a way to get
    them installed.

    I think you can find some fixes or work arounds if you search the internet.

    Bobby Johnson, May 31, 2010
  8. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    John Turco Guest

    Paul Shapiro wrote:

    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message

    <edited for brevity>

    > > I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
    > > it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
    > > install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
    > > program), because it's a 32-bit application.

    <edited>

    > The 64-bit os can run any 32-bit application I've tried, but some older
    > applications used a 16-bit installer to install their 32-bit application.
    > 16-bit software will not run on x64, so the installer fails even though the
    > application might work if you can get it installed. Maybe you can find
    > alternative installation instructions for x64?

    I'm not particularly worried about the notebook PC, actually.

    However, I'm going to install Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit,
    on a new desktop computer build (whenever I get around to slapping
    it together, that is); of course, I expect to encounter this same
    Netscape issue, then.

    Thanks, for replying!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 25, 2010
  9. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    John Turco Guest

    Bobby Johnson wrote:

    > On 2010-05-31 06:56, John Turco wrote:
    > > Bob I wrote:

    > >> Frequently it is the peripheral hardware where the software/drivers are
    > >> lacking.

    > > I bought a new notebook computer (eMachines E725-4520), in March of 2010;
    > > it came with Windows 7 Premium 64-bit loaded. The damned thing refused to
    > > install Netscape Communicator 4.8 (my preferred news reader and e-mail
    > > program), because it's a 32-bit application.
    > >
    > > Oddly, however, it had no real qualms about Paint Shop Pro 7 (also 32-bit)!
    > >
    > > Yeah, I know...Communicator is an old product (2003) from a defunct company,
    > > and PSP 7 is even hoarier (2000). Regardless, I love both of 'em and want
    > > to extend their respective lives, as long as possible.

    > Mostly likely they have 16-bit installers which cannot run on 64-bit
    > Windows.
    >
    > The 32-bit apps will run on Win 7 64-bit if you can figure a way to get
    > them installed.
    >
    > I think you can find some fixes or work arounds if you search the internet.

    Thanks; I'll probably find a solution, someday.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 25, 2010