Re: 64-bit & future. . .

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charlie Russel - MVP, May 9, 2005.

  1. I/O is the bottleneck at this point, and the HD is certainly the biggest part
    of that. In some interesting stuff I have seen and/or discussed with folks,
    trying to get a sense of the ultimate issues around x64, I remember talking
    to someone who was doing some interesting tests with Terminal Services
    deployments on x64. In order to make I/O not the bottleneck, they were
    deploying with VERY wide RAID arrays. My memory is >30 disks wide. And
    obviously, on SCSI and/or Fiber.

    For memory, both architectures come at it in a different way, AMD with a
    better connection technology and Intel with bigger cache. The results are
    essentially similar, from what I've seen, though I admit I have a personal
    preference for the AMD solution with HyperTransport, since I see some
    interesting possibilities with 4 and 8 way NUMA type connectivity.

    The thing to keep in mind with any of this is that whatever you do will be
    outdated before you receive it. But that trying to solve a problem with speed
    of any individual component alone is a futile battle. Which is why dual core
    is interesting -- it lets real parallelism happen. So looking for solutions
    that let you accomplish the same kinds of parallelism in other areas, such as
    RAID arrays. Here SCSI has definite advantages. But at a pretty expensive
    cost, obviously. Building a 200 GB 0+1 RAID array with, say, 18GB or even
    36GB SCSI disks is an interesting challenge. But that's what it takes to get
    around disk being the bottleneck.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 9, 2005