Re: 50D Sample Photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Colin.D, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. Colin.D

    Colin.D Guest

    Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

    > Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
    > top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem
    > with the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
    >
    > http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos50dsamples/ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

    This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the
    same sharpness.

    In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
    are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    that is as it should be.

    Colin D.

    Colin.D, Sep 18, 2008

  2. Colin.D

    OldBoy Guest

    "Colin.D" <> wrote in message
    > Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
    >
    >> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
    >> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
    >> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
    >>
    >> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos50dsamples/ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

    > This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
    > sharpness.
    >
    > In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
    > are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    > that is as it should be.

    Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
    1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
    Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

    OldBoy, Sep 18, 2008

  3. Colin.D

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:43:16 +0200, "OldBoy" <> wrote:

    >"Colin.D" <> wrote in message
    >> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
    >>
    >>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
    >>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
    >>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos50dsamples/ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

    >> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
    >> sharpness.
    >>
    >> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
    >> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    >> that is as it should be.

    >Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
    >1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
    >Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

    One of your problems is that the subject is inappropriate for a test
    of the kind you are attempting.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Sep 18, 2008
  4. Colin.D

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:43:16 +0200, "OldBoy" <> wrote:
    : "Colin.D" <> wrote in message
    : news:gate97$14a$...
    : > Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
    : >
    : >> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
    : >> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
    : >> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
    : >>
    : >> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos50dsamples/ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)
    : >
    : > This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
    : > sharpness.
    : >
    : > In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
    : > are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    : > that is as it should be.
    :
    :
    : Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
    : 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
    : Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

    OK, that works for me. I'm on the list for a 50D, and I already have that
    lens! ;^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 19, 2008
  5. Colin.D

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Paul <> wrote:
    | "Colin.D" <> wrote in message
    |
    |>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
    |>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
    |>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
    |>>
    |>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos50dsamples/ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)
    |

    |> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
    |> sharpness.
    |>
    |> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
    |> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    |> that is as it should be.
    |

    | Is it just DOF though? The pot that is up and one to the right from centre
    | looks sharper than the one that is up and one to the left from centre.

    Can you really tell what angle they go? Are they all flat and in the center
    of the DOF? One technical question is just how flat the field is for the
    lens used.

    , Sep 21, 2008
  6. Colin.D

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <> wrote:
    | "Colin.D" <> wrote in message
    |> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:
    |>
    |>> Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
    |>> top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
    |>> the lens? The top right isn't as bad.
    |>>
    |>> http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos50dsamples/ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)
    |>
    |> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
    |> sharpness.
    |>
    |> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
    |> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    |> that is as it should be.
    |

    | Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
    | 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
    | Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

    How flat is the field for that lens? I'm new to the EOS line, but in general
    it's a lot harder to make a zoom lens have a flat field than fixed focal length.

    , Sep 21, 2008
  7. Colin.D

    OldBoy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <> wrote:
    > | "Colin.D" <> wrote in message
    > |> Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

    > the
    > with

    > |> This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the
    > same
    > |> sharpness.
    > |>
    > |> In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the
    > image
    > |> are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
    > |> that is as it should be.
    > |

    > | Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
    > | 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
    > | Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m
    >
    > How flat is the field for that lens? I'm new to the EOS line, but in
    > general
    > it's a lot harder to make a zoom lens have a flat field than fixed focal
    > length.

    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/189-canon-ef-28-105mm-f35-45-usm-test-report--review
    The lens belongs to the lower third of the quality range.

    OldBoy, Sep 21, 2008
  8. Colin.D

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <> wrote:
    | <> wrote in message
    |> In rec.photo.digital OldBoy <> wrote:
    |> | "Colin.D" <> wrote in message

    |> the
    |> with

    |> same

    |> image
    |> |
    |> |
    |> | Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
    |> | 1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
    |> | Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m
    |>
    |> How flat is the field for that lens? I'm new to the EOS line, but in
    |> general
    |> it's a lot harder to make a zoom lens have a flat field than fixed focal
    |> length.
    |
    | http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/189-canon-ef-28-105mm-f35-45-usm-test-report--review
    | The lens belongs to the lower third of the quality range.

    So the sample photo is as much a judgement of the lens quality as it is the
    camera quality. Or maybe more of the lens quality. If device A and device B
    have to work together, and you want to judge the quality of one, you need to
    use the other at its very finest quality. Judge cameras with the best lenses.
    Judge lenses with the best cameras.

    So lets find out how the 50D, and even the 5D, performs with the best quality
    full-frame fixed-focal portait lens of about 135mm, well lit, stopped down,
    on tripod, and done by a professional,

    , Sep 21, 2008