Re: 5 1/4 disks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Dec 2, 2008.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    news:49349d89$...
    > Anyone have any of these lying around they want to get rid of by any
    > chance?
    >
    > I am specifically after the double density ones

    No, but curious, for legacy hardware?
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone have any of these lying around they want to get rid of by any
    >>> chance?
    >>>
    >>> I am specifically after the double density ones

    >> No, but curious, for legacy hardware?

    > You might say that, for an 8-bit Atari :)

    The only thing I could find was this:
    http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html

    Horrible, horrible site
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Nik Coughlin

    shocker

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Is it just my or am I on a diffrent Boat?
    shocker, Dec 2, 2008
  4. On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <> wrote in

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "Puddle" <> wrote in message

    >>> You might say that, for an 8-bit Atari :)

    >> The only thing I could find was this:
    >> http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html
    >>
    >> Horrible, horrible site

    > They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
    > people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting dust or
    > they are just thrown out.
    >
    > Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when I
    > first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my birthday. It
    > seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had been using. Then I
    > managed to save up enough to buy some mod that turned it into a true
    > double density drive. It seemed like a big deal back then. That was
    > like 20 years ago when games were great!
    >
    > Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

    In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it too
    much ... unless they have computers in hell.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Enkidu Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <> wrote
    > in <news:>:
    >
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> "Puddle" <> wrote in message

    >>> The only thing I could find was this:
    >>> http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html
    >>>
    >>> Horrible, horrible site

    >> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
    >> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting
    >> dust or they are just thrown out.
    >>
    >> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when
    >> I first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my
    >> birthday. It seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had
    >> been using. Then I managed to save up enough to buy some mod that
    >> turned it into a true double density drive. It seemed like a big
    >> deal back then. That was like 20 years ago when games were great!
    >>
    >> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

    > In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    > too much ... unless they have computers in hell.

    Yeah, they all run Windows.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Dec 2, 2008
  6. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <> wrote
    >> in <news:>:

    >>> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
    >>> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting
    >>> dust or they are just thrown out.
    >>>
    >>> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when
    >>> I first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my
    >>> birthday. It seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had
    >>> been using. Then I managed to save up enough to buy some mod that
    >>> turned it into a true double density drive. It seemed like a big
    >>> deal back then. That was like 20 years ago when games were great!
    >>>
    >>> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

    >> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    >> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
    >>

    > Yeah, they all run Windows.

    LOL, thanks Cliff, I've still got it. I knew what your post was going to say
    before I clicked it. (Actually I thought you'd say "Yeah /and/ they all run
    Windows.")
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2008
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Your Name Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > > On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <> wrote
    > > in <news:>:

    > >> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
    > >> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting
    > >> dust or they are just thrown out.
    > >>
    > >> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when
    > >> I first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my
    > >> birthday. It seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had
    > >> been using. Then I managed to save up enough to buy some mod that
    > >> turned it into a true double density drive. It seemed like a big
    > >> deal back then. That was like 20 years ago when games were great!
    > >>
    > >> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

    > > In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    > > too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
    > >

    > Yeah, they all run Windows.

    Rats! You beat me to it. :)
    Your Name, Dec 2, 2008
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    >>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
    >>>

    >> Yeah, they all run Windows.

    > LOL, thanks Cliff, I've still got it. I knew what your post was going to say
    > before I clicked it. (Actually I thought you'd say "Yeah /and/ they all run
    > Windows.")

    It did rather beg for it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Dec 2, 2008
  9. On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:05:17 +1300, Your Name <> wrote in

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    >>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
    >>>

    >> Yeah, they all run Windows.

    > Rats! You beat me to it. :)

    I fink youse buggers is PICKIN' on me! <snif>

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 2, 2008
  10. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <> wrote
    >> in <news:>:
    >>>
    >>> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

    >> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    >> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
    >>

    > Yeah, they all run Windows.

    Yeah, they all run Windows ME.

    Fixed it for you :)
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 2, 2008
  11. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:

    >>> Yeah, they all run Windows.

    >> LOL, thanks Cliff, I've still got it. I knew what your post was
    >> going to say before I clicked it. (Actually I thought you'd say
    >> "Yeah /and/ they all run Windows.")
    >>

    > It did rather beg for it.

    It did, Even though I'm a relatively happy Windows XP user it's probably
    what I would have replied. I would have said that they all run Vista on
    Microsoft's minimum specs for said OS. Of course, knowing the answer
    presupposes a familiarity with hell that I wouldn't like to admit. <g>
    --
    Shaun. (otherwise known as Abbadon)
    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2008
  12. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <> wrote in

    >>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
    >>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
    >>>

    >> Yeah, they all run Windows.

    > Yeah, they all run Windows ME.
    >
    > Fixed it for you :)

    LOL. As someone who's never run ME but has found it useful (running a hybrid
    OS on a 400MHz laptop of 98SE / ME called 98SE2ME:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/98SE2ME-Killer-Replacem-t46349.html) I'd have said
    Vista. I've yet to hear of a use for it, something that it does better than
    any other MS OS. (Oh, DX10 I guess... Shouldn't be long until that's
    hacked.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2008
  13. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:05:17 +1300, Your Name <>
    > wrote in <news:gh449f$qne$>:
    >
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, they all run Windows.

    >> Rats! You beat me to it. :)

    > I fink youse buggers is PICKIN' on me! <snif>

    Ooo-er, bad sniff you have there Nic, maybe less than 20 years? <g>

    By-the-by, are the plans still on track for the Samsung monitor? Or did the
    start of 'the collapse of capitalism as we know it' put a dent in your
    plans?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 2, 2008
  14. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, they all run Windows.

    >> Yeah, they all run Windows ME.
    >>
    >> Fixed it for you :)

    > LOL. As someone who's never run ME but has found it useful (running a
    > hybrid OS on a 400MHz laptop of 98SE / ME called 98SE2ME:
    > http://www.msfn.org/board/98SE2ME-Killer-Replacem-t46349.html) I'd have
    > said Vista. I've yet to hear of a use for it, something that it does
    > better than any other MS OS. (Oh, DX10 I guess... Shouldn't be long until
    > that's hacked.)

    ME, not the hybrid, because the hybrid doesn't have the problems that ME
    had, I used it (for a very short period of time) and it was horrible, much,
    much worse than my experience with Vista.

    I've found Vista nicer to use than XP, lots of little interface things that
    all add up, usable search etc. I have literally had zero problems with it,
    but that said I didn't switch until after SP1, and I turned UAC off (I'm a
    big boy, I know what I'm doing).

    The hardware requirements may be onerous, but it runs better on my 2 year
    old machine than XP did - I presume that this is because I'm very much a
    power user and have a lot of software installed and running at any one time.
    I'm sure for casual use XP outperforms Vista on similar hardware but Vista
    seems to handle a good thrashing better.

    DRM, I've yet to hit a hurdle. I have no doubt that it's there but it
    doesn't impact my day to day use. I can still rip things, transcode things
    etc. UAC, as I said, turned it off.

    The whole Vista bashing thing seems to be a bit of a fad, but what would I
    know, I just use it all day every day :p
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 2, 2008
  15. On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:02:30 +1300, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote in <news:gh47ol$rao$>:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:05:17 +1300, Your Name <>
    >> wrote in <news:gh449f$qne$>:
    >>
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Rats! You beat me to it. :)

    >> I fink youse buggers is PICKIN' on me! <snif>

    > Ooo-er, bad sniff you have there Nic, maybe less than 20 years? <g>

    The way I feel sometimes, Shaun, I reckon about another three clean shirts
    will see me right.

    > By-the-by, are the plans still on track for the Samsung monitor? Or did the
    > start of 'the collapse of capitalism as we know it' put a dent in your
    > plans?

    Plans are certainly still on track there, the 'collasp of carpalism'
    hasn't affected me in that department. Target date is end-January.

    --
    Regards,
    Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 2, 2008
  16. On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:19:49 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    wrote:

    >"~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, they all run Windows ME.
    >>>
    >>> Fixed it for you :)

    >> LOL. As someone who's never run ME but has found it useful (running a
    >> hybrid OS on a 400MHz laptop of 98SE / ME called 98SE2ME:
    >> http://www.msfn.org/board/98SE2ME-Killer-Replacem-t46349.html) I'd have
    >> said Vista. I've yet to hear of a use for it, something that it does
    >> better than any other MS OS. (Oh, DX10 I guess... Shouldn't be long until
    >> that's hacked.)

    >ME, not the hybrid, because the hybrid doesn't have the problems that ME
    >had, I used it (for a very short period of time) and it was horrible, much,
    >much worse than my experience with Vista.
    >
    >I've found Vista nicer to use than XP, lots of little interface things that
    >all add up, usable search etc. I have literally had zero problems with it,
    >but that said I didn't switch until after SP1, and I turned UAC off (I'm a
    >big boy, I know what I'm doing).
    >
    >The hardware requirements may be onerous, but it runs better on my 2 year
    >old machine than XP did - I presume that this is because I'm very much a
    >power user and have a lot of software installed and running at any one time.
    >I'm sure for casual use XP outperforms Vista on similar hardware but Vista
    >seems to handle a good thrashing better.
    >
    >DRM, I've yet to hit a hurdle. I have no doubt that it's there but it
    >doesn't impact my day to day use. I can still rip things, transcode things
    >etc. UAC, as I said, turned it off.
    >
    >The whole Vista bashing thing seems to be a bit of a fad, but what would I
    >know, I just use it all day every day :p

    Like you, I have been using Vista only since SP1 and with UAC off. And
    on modern PCs with enough RAM. As long as there is enough RAM, Vista
    seems to outperform XP for normal use, simply because its disk caching
    actually works. XP's caching algorithms are terrible - it pushes
    things out to swap space frequently in order to cache something!
    Vista's caching seems to be as good as Linux.

    For DRM removal from WMV files, I have a clean install of XP that runs
    under VirtualBox. I can run FairUse4WVM there to remove the
    encryption. That is the only DRM problem I have had with Vista, as
    that is the only DRM I actually use.

    I can not say that I have had zero problems with Vista though - I have
    a BSOD problem that shows up every couple of months or so: "page fault
    in non-paged area". And I have also had a problem where Vista runs so
    slowly it takes an hour for Ctrl-Alt-Esc to pop up the Task Manager.
    That seems to be caused by my anti-virus software (BitDefender), as if
    I kill bdagent.exe once the Task Manager pops up, things usually run
    normally again, and I can re-start BitDefender and it works properly
    again. But I find it appalling the Vista still does not have a
    special mechanism to ensure that you can get the Task Manager to pop
    up and be usable instantly. And for it to be able to "kill -9" things
    without having other windows pop up, also taking many minutes to do
    that.

    I have also found a bug in Vista to do with how it handles my G: drive
    when it goes to sleep and when Vista sleeps - when Vista is woken up
    again, G: drive is gone and can not be accessed until a reboot. I
    reported it to Microsoft and after a couple of months of my trying
    things for them, they finally got back to me and acknowledged it as a
    bug. But they also said it will not be fixed until SP3 (not SP2!).
    Stephen Worthington, Dec 3, 2008
  17. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:19:49 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>I've found Vista nicer to use than XP, lots of little interface things
    >>that
    >>all add up, usable search etc. I have literally had zero problems with
    >>it,
    >>but that said I didn't switch until after SP1, and I turned UAC off (I'm a
    >>big boy, I know what I'm doing).
    >>
    >>The hardware requirements may be onerous, but it runs better on my 2 year
    >>old machine than XP did - I presume that this is because I'm very much a
    >>power user and have a lot of software installed and running at any one
    >>time.
    >>I'm sure for casual use XP outperforms Vista on similar hardware but Vista
    >>seems to handle a good thrashing better.
    >>
    >>DRM, I've yet to hit a hurdle. I have no doubt that it's there but it
    >>doesn't impact my day to day use. I can still rip things, transcode
    >>things
    >>etc. UAC, as I said, turned it off.
    >>
    >>The whole Vista bashing thing seems to be a bit of a fad, but what would I
    >>know, I just use it all day every day :p

    > Like you, I have been using Vista only since SP1 and with UAC off. And
    > on modern PCs with enough RAM. As long as there is enough RAM, Vista
    > seems to outperform XP for normal use, simply because its disk caching
    > actually works. XP's caching algorithms are terrible - it pushes
    > things out to swap space frequently in order to cache something!
    > Vista's caching seems to be as good as Linux.
    >
    > For DRM removal from WMV files, I have a clean install of XP that runs
    > under VirtualBox. I can run FairUse4WVM there to remove the
    > encryption. That is the only DRM problem I have had with Vista, as
    > that is the only DRM I actually use.

    Just curious, where did that need come from? Are you purchasing movies in
    WMV format from somewhere or something?

    > I can not say that I have had zero problems with Vista though - I have
    > a BSOD problem that shows up every couple of months or so: "page fault
    > in non-paged area". And I have also had a problem where Vista runs so
    > slowly it takes an hour for Ctrl-Alt-Esc to pop up the Task Manager.
    > That seems to be caused by my anti-virus software (BitDefender), as if
    > I kill bdagent.exe once the Task Manager pops up, things usually run
    > normally again, and I can re-start BitDefender and it works properly
    > again.

    Using Nod32, not had any problems yet, also I have yet to see a BSOD - was
    actually wondering if they'd replaced it with something else :p

    > But I find it appalling the Vista still does not have a
    > special mechanism to ensure that you can get the Task Manager to pop
    > up and be usable instantly. And for it to be able to "kill -9" things
    > without having other windows pop up, also taking many minutes to do
    > that.

    Agreed. There are plenty of ways that it could be done better.

    > I have also found a bug in Vista to do with how it handles my G: drive
    > when it goes to sleep and when Vista sleeps - when Vista is woken up
    > again, G: drive is gone and can not be accessed until a reboot. I
    > reported it to Microsoft and after a couple of months of my trying
    > things for them, they finally got back to me and acknowledged it as a
    > bug. But they also said it will not be fixed until SP3 (not SP2!).

    I've never had any success with sleeping Windows, any version, so I'd never
    even thought to try it with Vista. Figures.

    Vista isn't perfect, but I still think it's the best Windows yet.
    Nik Coughlin, Dec 3, 2008
  18. Nik Coughlin

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> LOL, thanks Cliff, I've still got it. I knew what your post was
    >>> going to say before I clicked it. (Actually I thought you'd say
    >>> "Yeah /and/ they all run Windows.")
    >>>

    >> It did rather beg for it.

    > It did, Even though I'm a relatively happy Windows XP user it's
    > probably what I would have replied. I would have said that they all
    > run Vista on Microsoft's minimum specs for said OS. Of course,
    > knowing the answer presupposes a familiarity with hell that I
    > wouldn't like to admit. <g>

    I use Linux, work with Linux, but have been known to defend Windows
    against the likes of Laurence and Lennier.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Dec 3, 2008
  19. On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:00:21 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:19:49 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I've found Vista nicer to use than XP, lots of little interface things
    >>>that
    >>>all add up, usable search etc. I have literally had zero problems with
    >>>it,
    >>>but that said I didn't switch until after SP1, and I turned UAC off (I'm a
    >>>big boy, I know what I'm doing).
    >>>
    >>>The hardware requirements may be onerous, but it runs better on my 2 year
    >>>old machine than XP did - I presume that this is because I'm very much a
    >>>power user and have a lot of software installed and running at any one
    >>>time.
    >>>I'm sure for casual use XP outperforms Vista on similar hardware but Vista
    >>>seems to handle a good thrashing better.
    >>>
    >>>DRM, I've yet to hit a hurdle. I have no doubt that it's there but it
    >>>doesn't impact my day to day use. I can still rip things, transcode
    >>>things
    >>>etc. UAC, as I said, turned it off.
    >>>
    >>>The whole Vista bashing thing seems to be a bit of a fad, but what would I
    >>>know, I just use it all day every day :p

    >> Like you, I have been using Vista only since SP1 and with UAC off. And
    >> on modern PCs with enough RAM. As long as there is enough RAM, Vista
    >> seems to outperform XP for normal use, simply because its disk caching
    >> actually works. XP's caching algorithms are terrible - it pushes
    >> things out to swap space frequently in order to cache something!
    >> Vista's caching seems to be as good as Linux.
    >>
    >> For DRM removal from WMV files, I have a clean install of XP that runs
    >> under VirtualBox. I can run FairUse4WVM there to remove the
    >> encryption. That is the only DRM problem I have had with Vista, as
    >> that is the only DRM I actually use.

    >Just curious, where did that need come from? Are you purchasing movies in
    >WMV format from somewhere or something?

    Yes, and they only were available in a streaming format which you can
    not normally play in NZ, due to the congestion and high ping times
    between us and the streaming sites. So I had to use special software
    to download the streams and then I removed the DRM so that I could
    play them on my MythTV box which is the one connected to my TV.

    >> I can not say that I have had zero problems with Vista though - I have
    >> a BSOD problem that shows up every couple of months or so: "page fault
    >> in non-paged area". And I have also had a problem where Vista runs so
    >> slowly it takes an hour for Ctrl-Alt-Esc to pop up the Task Manager.
    >> That seems to be caused by my anti-virus software (BitDefender), as if
    >> I kill bdagent.exe once the Task Manager pops up, things usually run
    >> normally again, and I can re-start BitDefender and it works properly
    >> again.

    >Using Nod32, not had any problems yet, also I have yet to see a BSOD - was
    >actually wondering if they'd replaced it with something else :p

    No, Vista has a BSOD screen very much the same as XP. You just do not
    seem to see it quite as much.

    >> But I find it appalling the Vista still does not have a
    >> special mechanism to ensure that you can get the Task Manager to pop
    >> up and be usable instantly. And for it to be able to "kill -9" things
    >> without having other windows pop up, also taking many minutes to do
    >> that.

    >Agreed. There are plenty of ways that it could be done better.
    >
    >> I have also found a bug in Vista to do with how it handles my G: drive
    >> when it goes to sleep and when Vista sleeps - when Vista is woken up
    >> again, G: drive is gone and can not be accessed until a reboot. I
    >> reported it to Microsoft and after a couple of months of my trying
    >> things for them, they finally got back to me and acknowledged it as a
    >> bug. But they also said it will not be fixed until SP3 (not SP2!).

    >I've never had any success with sleeping Windows, any version, so I'd never
    >even thought to try it with Vista. Figures.

    Sleep does work (and works well) in Vista on a modern PC with ACPI,
    but only if you have just one hard disk. With more than one, if you
    are using AHCI you are likely to hit the bug I did. It is possible
    that the bug will not happen if you stick with IDE mode, but then
    there are lots of features on your new SATA drives that can not be
    used to make them go faster.

    >Vista isn't perfect, but I still think it's the best Windows yet.

    Agreed. I find it works most of the time, versus Win 95 which was
    causing problems most of the time. Each version in between seems to
    have been a little better, as long as you bought a new PC with
    sufficient resources to match the OS.
    Stephen Worthington, Dec 3, 2008
  20. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:02:30 +1300, ~misfit~ <>
    > wrote in <news:gh47ol$rao$>:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>> I fink youse buggers is PICKIN' on me! <snif>

    >> Ooo-er, bad sniff you have there Nic, maybe less than 20 years? <g>

    > The way I feel sometimes, Shaun, I reckon about another three clean
    > shirts will see me right.

    I feel like that sometimes too. Usually on laundry day. <g>

    >> By-the-by, are the plans still on track for the Samsung monitor? Or
    >> did the start of 'the collapse of capitalism as we know it' put a
    >> dent in your plans?

    > Plans are certainly still on track there, the 'collasp of carpalism'
    > hasn't affected me in that department. Target date is end-January.

    Cool. I have an excellent monitor built into the laptop I'm using. 1400x1050
    resolution. However, I had to move to a laptop that was a step down in other
    ways to enjotythe good display. The HDD runs in the high 40s! And that's a
    Seagate that actually runs cooler than the OEM drive. The Seagate's specced
    0 - 60 operating temp but, as it is it gets too hot to touch comfortably. I
    don't like that much.

    The panel's nice though, I get lots more on screen. I'm going to hang onto
    to "4:3" monitors as long as I can. I seriously dislike "widescreen"
    monitors. I don't want to see two pages side-by-side, if I did I'd hook up a
    second monitor. I'd much rather see more of the one page I'm working on.

    Take care Nic.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 3, 2008