Re: 45 gigapixel panorama

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Sep 17, 2010.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Sep 16, 5:39 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > http://gigapan.org/gigapans/48492/
    >
    > 4250 pictures, 243 degrees angle of view
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Kind of a waste taking the picture on what looks like a hazy day. The
    image was pretty washed out, but detailed.
    Rich, Sep 17, 2010

  2. Rich

    Peter Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <85108494-a387-4f83-b89e-3dcd61d058f4
    > @j2g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...
    >> Kind of a waste taking the picture on what looks like a hazy day. The
    >> image was pretty washed out, but detailed.

    > Agree, but the visibility is always like that in Dubai in April. The
    > photographer could have improved the situation by using a polariser
    > filter and shooting RAW and post-processing each image.

    Post processing how many individual RAW images?

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 17, 2010

  3. Rich

    > In article <4c9395ae$0$5551$-secrets.com>, Peter
    > says...
    >> Post processing how many individual RAW images?

    > He'll choose the same RAW conversion settings for all images, then run a
    > batch job.

    Using how much memory, scratch disk space and time? Run the numbers with 45
    gig pixels. How many gig pixels fit on a 16 megabyte CF card.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 17, 2010
  4. Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > The
    > photographer could have improved the situation by using a polariser
    > filter and shooting RAW and post-processing each image.

    A polarizer over 200+° of view? Isn't a polarizer kind of
    dependend on the angle to the sun?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 18, 2010
  5. Rich

    > In article <4c93d7af$0$5492$-secrets.com>, Peter
    > says...
    >> Using how much memory, scratch disk space and time? Run the numbers with
    >> 45
    >> gig pixels.

    > RAW conversion of individual images requires very little RAM.
    >
    > No idea how much memory you need to assemble a 45 gigapixel panorama.
    >
    >> How many gig pixels fit on a 16 megabyte CF card.

    > 16 megabyte CF cards? Welcome to the year 2010. 16MB CF cards no longer
    > exist.

    An obvious typo. I meant 16 gigabyte CF cards. But, my point remains that
    prior to posting I question whether you thought all issues through.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 18, 2010
  6. Rich

    > In article <4c94f381$0$5524$-secrets.com>, Peter
    > says...
    >> An obvious typo. I meant 16 gigabyte CF cards. But, my point remains that
    >> prior to posting I question whether you thought all issues through.

    > Perhaps the photographer can give you all technical details. Try
    > contacting him.

    Why?
    It seems to me that you should have done so prior to your posting suggesting
    RAW processing and polarization, without thinking the issue through.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 18, 2010
  7. Rich

    peter Guest

    On 9/27/2010 5:08 AM, bugbear wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <85108494-a387-4f83-b89e-3dcd61d058f4
    >>> @j2g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...
    >>>
    >>> Agree, but the visibility is always like that in Dubai in April. The
    >>> photographer could have improved the situation by using a polariser
    >>> filter and shooting RAW and post-processing each image.

    >> Post processing how many individual RAW images?
    >>

    > Lots. but since the processing can be done on each
    > image separately, the ram requirments are low,
    > and disc space is cheap.
    >
    > Set up a batch process, using a representative
    > image (or two), and take a coffee break.
    >
    > Such processing is TRIVIAL compared to the issues
    > of stitching and blending a large panorama.
    >
    > BugBear

    Post processing includes stitching & blending

    --
    Peter
    peter, Sep 27, 2010