Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alastair Johnson, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the following questions about Maxnet :
    >
    > 1) Is their news server running reliably now ? Looks like it used to
    > be quite chaotic, didn't it ?

    For the last 2 months I do believe this service has been running reliably.
    There is further investment being made in it, due to a small but vocal
    amount of users. We are also adding additional newspeers.

    > 2) Does their news server give access to binary newsgroups ? If not,
    > is there a freely accessible NZ-based read-only server from which I
    > could read them ?

    Yes, there is full access (well, limited by our newspeers can carry, etc.)

    > 3) Does the web access go through a proxy ?

    Yes, it does.

    > 4) Is the dynamic IP directly accessible from the outside world - I
    > mean, is the IP given by the Maxnet connection behind NAT/firewall or
    > something else ? Sometimes I will definitely need direct access to my
    > computer from the internet. NAT is big no-no for me.

    Yes, the IP addresses are real, and are externally available.

    Re some other comments about Jetstart and P2P - for the last few months we
    have been weeding out the remainder of heavy users and securing additional
    international capacity. In the next week we will be re-evaluating the
    rate-limiting in place for P2P and FTP services, and gradually increasing
    these as our new capacity comes on line.

    While I am a Maxnet employee, I use Maxnet ADSL from home, shared amongst
    myself, 2 flatmates, and my partner, and I find the performance to be
    acceptable. Staff use the same service that customers do.

    regards...

    aj
    (half wearing a Maxnet hat)
    Alastair Johnson, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Alastair Johnson

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Alastair Johnson of Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:40 :
    > "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have the following questions about Maxnet :
    >> 1) Is their news server running reliably now ? Looks like it used to
    >> be quite chaotic, didn't it ?

    > For the last 2 months I do believe this service has been running reliably.

    oops - spoke too soon
    The Maxnet server went down about 2pm today (Saturday). The server now
    (6pm) appears to be running, but is not updating any groups.

    Peter :(
    Peter, Jul 12, 2003

  3. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > > For the last 2 months I do believe this service has been running

    reliably.

    > oops - spoke too soon
    > The Maxnet server went down about 2pm today (Saturday). The server now
    > (6pm) appears to be running, but is not updating any groups.

    It is, but the resync is done alphabetically, and alt.binaries.*, which
    quite a few users seem to read, takes a few hours to sync up.

    aj.
    Alastair Johnson, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Alastair Johnson

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Alastair Johnson of Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:04 :
    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> > For the last 2 months I do believe this service has been running

    > reliably.
    >>
    >> oops - spoke too soon
    >> The Maxnet server went down about 2pm today (Saturday). The server now
    >> (6pm) appears to be running, but is not updating any groups.

    > It is, but the resync is done alphabetically, and alt.binaries.*, which
    > quite a few users seem to read, takes a few hours to sync up.

    Yes, was running again Sat evening.
    Ok, I didn't know about the alphabetical resync. I'm interested in
    comp.os.linux.* and nz.* and soc.genealogy.* so these would be down the
    list a bit.

    cheers

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 12, 2003