Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nick, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    On 8 Jul 2003 18:54:39 -0700, (John Doe) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have the following questions about Maxnet :
    >
    >1) Is their news server running reliably now ? Looks like it used to
    >be quite chaotic, didn't it ?

    The news service is a joke. "Chaotic" is absolutely the right word
    there. This was their reply when I asked them why their news service
    is so crap:

    "As we do not have a significant customer interest in our Newsgroup
    service, we are currently unable to supply a dedicated News service.
    We apologise for the inconvenience."

    >I am going to call Maxnet anyway but as usual users' opinions are
    >welcome...
    >
    >Thanks for any information.

    When I joined Maxnet it said "unlimited" traffic but with considerable
    amount of traffic shaping like for FTP, Kazaa etc. I thought fair
    enough so I tried them out. Yes, the FTP and P2P TRULY SUCK! You might
    as well go back to 56K if you do a lot of downloading, but I stick
    with them for a few months cause I cannot think of any ISP willing to
    give "unlimited" ADSL without traffic shaping. About 2 months after I
    joined them, they change the account to 12GB download limit. I thought
    fine, it's still 2GB more than what others would usually offer. But
    one would think that with the limit in place the traffic shaping would
    at least be loosen, not to mention there should be almost none.
    Maxnet, with all the wisdom, decided to keep the same damn thing in
    place and thus providing same crap connection for downloading.

    Bugger them.
    Nick, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Nick

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > When I joined Maxnet it said "unlimited" traffic but with considerable
    > amount of traffic shaping like for FTP, Kazaa etc. I thought fair
    > enough so I tried them out. Yes, the FTP and P2P TRULY SUCK! You might
    > as well go back to 56K if you do a lot of downloading, but I stick
    > with them for a few months cause I cannot think of any ISP willing to
    > give "unlimited" ADSL without traffic shaping. About 2 months after I
    > joined them, they change the account to 12GB download limit. I thought
    > fine, it's still 2GB more than what others would usually offer. But
    > one would think that with the limit in place the traffic shaping would
    > at least be loosen, not to mention there should be almost none.
    > Maxnet, with all the wisdom, decided to keep the same damn thing in
    > place and thus providing same crap connection for downloading.

    Well actually as you say practically every ISP in NZ traffic shapes on
    Jetstart(er) for the simple reason that upload bandwidth on this product
    is restricted and has to be allocated fairly amongst all the users.
    Mainlander, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:20:05 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> When I joined Maxnet it said "unlimited" traffic but with considerable
    >> amount of traffic shaping like for FTP, Kazaa etc. I thought fair
    >> enough so I tried them out. Yes, the FTP and P2P TRULY SUCK! You might
    >> as well go back to 56K if you do a lot of downloading, but I stick
    >> with them for a few months cause I cannot think of any ISP willing to
    >> give "unlimited" ADSL without traffic shaping. About 2 months after I
    >> joined them, they change the account to 12GB download limit. I thought
    >> fine, it's still 2GB more than what others would usually offer. But
    >> one would think that with the limit in place the traffic shaping would
    >> at least be loosen, not to mention there should be almost none.
    >> Maxnet, with all the wisdom, decided to keep the same damn thing in
    >> place and thus providing same crap connection for downloading.

    >Well actually as you say practically every ISP in NZ traffic shapes on
    >Jetstart(er) for the simple reason that upload bandwidth on this product
    >is restricted and has to be allocated fairly amongst all the users.

    Umm... I'm talking about "download" traffic only. FTP or Kazaa with
    Maxnet's Jetstart don't get more than 5kB/s 99.99% of the time. Most
    of the time Kazaa will just sit there doing ~1kB/s. Pathetic.
    Nick, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Nick

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Nick of Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:19 :
    > Umm... I'm talking about "download" traffic only. FTP or Kazaa with
    > Maxnet's Jetstart don't get more than 5kB/s 99.99% of the time. Most
    > of the time Kazaa will just sit there doing ~1kB/s. Pathetic.

    Yes, I think there is something in the T&Cs about limiting traffic for
    people using P2P.
    Looks like you need to move to another ISP.

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 9, 2003
  5. "Matthew G Brown" <> wrote in message
    > Seriously tho guys.
    >
    > Jetstart is the Achilles heal of most ISP's . Put it this way.
    >
    > You go to Orcon or Telecom and buy Carrier grade bandwidth, its $200 per

    64K
    > ( Market average ) . So to give every JS customer 128K of international
    > bandwidth costs $400 + Gst , ISP gets $35 ... You do the Math .
    >
    > Most ISP's operate a separate managed gateways for Jetstart customers. P2P
    > traffic is a killer. Kazza on port 80 requires some pretty cool hardware

    > shape it down.

    There is some layer7 QOS stuff out now (http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/)
    which will do exactly that. I have not used it yet, but it looks promising.

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jul 11, 2003