Re: 36MB Foveon proved too pricey for Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darrell Larose, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > > >From: Lionel

    > > >I notice that they're talking about one of Foveon's older (late 2000)
    > > >professional prism-based 3 sensor systems, not about consumer-level
    > > >cameras like the SD9.

    > > Going from Hasselblad to Sigma is kinda like dumping your Bentley for a

    > Ford
    > > Pinto.
    > >

    > worse than that ;) the 3 chip Dfinity aka Foveon II Studio Camera had 3
    > 22x22mm chips, a prism for a total of 12 Megapixels

    CORRECTION:

    3 monochrome, filtered 22x22 (2056x2056 pixel) sensors lost so much light
    through the prism (like the Nikon Speed Magny Polaroid back) that you were
    left with a 50 ISO brick, BTW it took EF-Canon lenses as they were a closer
    match to the 22mmx22mm image area.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 4, 2004

  2. "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message

    > > > Going from Hasselblad to Sigma is kinda like dumping your Bentley for

    > > Ford
    > > > Pinto.
    > > >

    > > worse than that ;) the 3 chip Dfinity aka Foveon II Studio Camera had

    3
    > > 22x22mm chips, a prism for a total of 12 Megapixels
    > >

    > CORRECTION:
    >
    > 3 monochrome, filtered 22x22 (2056x2056 pixel) sensors lost so much light
    > through the prism (like the Nikon Speed Magny Polaroid back) that you were
    > left with a 50 ISO brick, BTW it took EF-Canon lenses as they were a

    closer
    > match to the 22mmx22mm image area.

    Yes, this is another good point. The original Foveon cameras were strictly
    studio cameras where low ISO was okay. In fact they had no internal storage,
    and had to be tethered to the computer.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 4, 2004

  3. "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message news:<Lh1wc.21421$>...
    > "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > > 3 monochrome, filtered 22x22 (2056x2056 pixel) sensors lost so much light
    > > through the prism (like the Nikon Speed Magny Polaroid back) that you were
    > > left with a 50 ISO brick, BTW it took EF-Canon lenses as they were a

    > closer
    > > match to the 22mmx22mm image area.

    > Yes, this is another good point. The original Foveon cameras were strictly
    > studio cameras where low ISO was okay. In fact they had no internal storage,
    > and had to be tethered to the computer.

    You are both writing about a Foveon model that is unrelated to the
    topic of this thread.

    Georgette Preddy, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Georgette Preddy wrote:
    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message news:<Lh1wc.21421$>...
    >
    >>"Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    >>>3 monochrome, filtered 22x22 (2056x2056 pixel) sensors lost so much light
    >>>through the prism (like the Nikon Speed Magny Polaroid back) that you were
    >>>left with a 50 ISO brick, BTW it took EF-Canon lenses as they were a

    >> closer
    >>
    >>>match to the 22mmx22mm image area.

    >>Yes, this is another good point. The original Foveon cameras were strictly
    >>studio cameras where low ISO was okay. In fact they had no internal storage,
    >>and had to be tethered to the computer.

    > You are both writing about a Foveon model that is unrelated to the
    > topic of this thread.

    Go to your rooms! I have never seen such a diversion from the original
    topic. Shame! Oh, wait, hmmm, maybe there is a topic here....
    --
    John McWilliams

    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    - Albert Einstein

    John McWilliams, Jun 5, 2004

    > > "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > > > 3 monochrome, filtered 22x22 (2056x2056 pixel) sensors lost so much

    light
    > > > through the prism (like the Nikon Speed Magny Polaroid back) that you

    were
    > > > left with a 50 ISO brick, BTW it took EF-Canon lenses as they were a

    > > closer
    > > > match to the 22mmx22mm image area.

    > > Yes, this is another good point. The original Foveon cameras were

    strictly
    > > studio cameras where low ISO was okay. In fact they had no internal

    storage,
    > > and had to be tethered to the computer.

    > You are both writing about a Foveon model that is unrelated to the
    > topic of this thread.

    It's the only venture Hasselblad had or ever will with Foveon. Hasselblad
    may well reveal a Fuji SuperCCD back at this Autumn's Photokina. Makes sense
    as Fuji owns Hasselblad.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 5, 2004
  6. "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message news:<LZlwc.35367$>...
    > "Georgette Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message

    > > > "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > light

    > were

    > closer
    > > >
    > > > Yes, this is another good point. The original Foveon cameras were

    > strictly
    > > > studio cameras where low ISO was okay. In fact they had no internal

    > storage,
    > > > and had to be tethered to the computer.

    > > You are both writing about a Foveon model that is unrelated to the
    > > topic of this thread.

    > It's the only venture Hasselblad had or ever will with Foveon.

    They never were to build the Foveon studio camera, Foveon built that
    under their own name.

    > Hasselblad
    > may well reveal a Fuji SuperCCD back at this Autumn's Photokina. Makes sense
    > as Fuji owns Hasselblad.

    That would end Hasselblad's reputation as a serious manufacturer.
    Fuji SCCD is a fully prosumer technology--by far the most artifact
    prone of all the Bayer designs. And that's pretty sad considering
    Canon, a copy machine maker, does slightly better in the 1.5MP class
    where Fuji competes. Leaf and Foveon were the only sensor
    technologies Hasselblad considered, when neither worked out for them
    they hung up going digital.

    George Preddy, Jun 9, 2004
  7. "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > > It's the only venture Hasselblad had or ever will with Foveon.

    > They never were to build the Foveon studio camera, Foveon built that
    > under their own name.

    Foveon built it because Hasselblad dropped the Dfinity project. It is the
    same 22x22mm 2056x2056 pixel (4MPx3 filtered monochrome sensor) camera. It
    was so bad even Foveon dropped it.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 9, 2004
  8. "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > Foveon built it because Hasselblad dropped the Dfinity project. It is the
    > same 22x22mm 2056x2056 pixel (4MPx3 filtered monochrome sensor) camera. It
    > was so bad even Foveon dropped it.

    It was not that it was that bad, it was fine for a tethered studio camera.
    But it was way too complicated. When Canon came out with an 11 megapixel
    Bayer sensor, the appeal of using three three sensors, each with 4 million
    photo-detectors, was gone. Foveon wants to be in the sensor business, not
    the camera business.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jun 9, 2004