Re: 35mm film VS digital

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by James Silverton, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. Bob wrote on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:03:29 -0400:

    > Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO,
    > the current crop of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at
    > least color print film. (Remember grain? I was never satisfied
    > with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)

    Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?
    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    James Silverton, Aug 28, 2008

  2. James Silverton

    Scott W Guest

    On Aug 27, 2:59 pm, "James Silverton" <>
    wrote:
    >  Bob  wrote  on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:03:29 -0400:
    >
    > > Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO,
    > > the current crop of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at
    > > least color print film. (Remember grain? I was never satisfied
    > > with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)

    > Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?

    Costco quit carrying them some time ago. I just checked Wal-Mart,
    they list 4 film cameras, they all look like crap and none of them are
    in a store within 100 miles of here. My guess is that many stores are
    going to sell off their remaining inventory and then not carry them
    anymore.

    B&H a few film SLRs, they have more MF cameras for sale then 35mm
    SLRs, in fact it looks like they have more LF cameras for sale them
    35mm SLRs.

    B&H also has some really bad P&S cameras, like the Barbie 35mm fixed
    focus camera.

    Scott

    Scott W, Aug 28, 2008

  3. James Silverton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:47:01 -0700 (PDT), Scott W wrote:

    >> Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?

    > Costco quit carrying them some time ago. I just checked Wal-Mart,
    > they list 4 film cameras, they all look like crap and none of them are
    > in a store within 100 miles of here. My guess is that many stores are
    > going to sell off their remaining inventory and then not carry them
    > anymore.

    Several months ago a local Rite-Aid wouldn't accept my Kodak 35mm
    cassette, saying that they only processed Fuji's and their own
    Rite-Aid brand film. I didn't argue, but took the film to another
    Rite-Aid about a mile away that had no such problems. The prints
    turned out OK, despite having been in the camera for some unknown
    amount of time, possibly several on up to 10 years. To rewind and
    get the film out of the camera I had to replace its long dead
    lithium battery.

    ASAAR, Aug 28, 2008
  4. James Silverton

    Chris H Guest

    In message
    <>,
    Scott W <> writes
    >On Aug 27, 2:59 pm, "James Silverton" <>
    >wrote:
    >>  Bob  wrote  on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:03:29 -0400:
    >>
    >> > Just curious what people think about this comparison. IMHO,
    >> > the current crop of digital cameras blow away 35mm film, at
    >> > least color print film. (Remember grain? I was never satisfied
    >> > with 8x10s blown up from 35mm film.)

    >> Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?

    >Costco quit carrying them some time ago. I just checked Wal-Mart,
    >they list 4 film cameras, they all look like crap and none of them are
    >in a store within 100 miles of here. My guess is that many stores are
    >going to sell off their remaining inventory and then not carry them
    >anymore.
    >
    >B&H a few film SLRs, they have more MF cameras for sale then 35mm
    >SLRs, in fact it looks like they have more LF cameras for sale them
    >35mm SLRs.
    >
    >B&H also has some really bad P&S cameras, like the Barbie 35mm fixed
    >focus camera.

    Calumet, Jessops and Boots still stock small amounts film but AFAIK
    only Calumet still has film cameras... at least they list them but I am
    not sure they actually have them in stock in the shops

    Chris H, Aug 29, 2008
  5. James Silverton

    measekite Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:47:01 -0700 (PDT), Scott W wrote:
    >

    >>> Can you buy film or new film cameras any more?
    >>>

    >> Costco quit carrying them some time ago. I just checked Wal-Mart,
    >> they list 4 film cameras, they all look like crap and none of them are
    >> in a store within 100 miles of here. My guess is that many stores are
    >> going to sell off their remaining inventory and then not carry them
    >> anymore.
    >>

    > Several months ago a local Rite-Aid wouldn't accept my Kodak 35mm
    > cassette, saying that they only processed Fuji's and their own
    > Rite-Aid brand film. I didn't argue, but took the film to another
    > Rite-Aid about a mile away that had no such problems.

    Rite Aid is known for hiring dummies and your Rite Aid go one from
    outside the standard deviation. All of these films take the same process.

    measekite, Aug 29, 2008