Re: 300D vs 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by deryck lant, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <>
    from Scott Coutts <> contains these words:

    > deryck lant wrote:
    > > The message <>
    > > from (Curt) contains these words:
    > >

    > >>I have now browsed through the flash presentation.
    > >>What is better in the 10D?
    > >>Focusing speed probably.
    > >>Build quality also.
    > >>Other than that?
    > >>Im really frustrated about ordering a 10D right now ...

    > > You can not fit the new EF-S18-55 lens to the 10D.
    > > The mirror fouls the lens. New mirror design in 300D.
    > > The viewfinder is brighter in 10D using a proper porroprism
    > > instead of mirrors.
    > >
    > > Deryck

    > The specs for the 300D say it uses a pentaprism too...

    Viewfinder. Type. Pentamirror, eye-level.
    A much cheaper alternative.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 20, 2003

  2. dslr <> writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > >
    > > deryck lant <> writes:
    > >
    > > > The message <>
    > > > from Scott Coutts <> contains these words:

    > > > Viewfinder. Type. Pentamirror, eye-level.
    > > > A much cheaper alternative.

    > > What does it *mean*? Are you viewing through the taking lens? Is the
    > > light split to share between the viewfinder and the sensor, or does
    > > the light path change to direct all the light to either the viewfinder
    > > or the sensor as appropriate?

    > Instead of a solid glass prism, it is a hollow structure of mirrors -
    > lighter and cheaper, but easier to damage of the camera takes a knock.

    Thanks. So if I understand you, the "pentamirror" is a cheaper but
    less durable (probably also lighter) replacement for the pentaprism.

    This may be a good time for the "don't buy version 1.0" meme to kick
    in; or not, sounds like a dynamite price-performance package really.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 20, 2003

  3. deryck  lant

    deryck lant Guest

    The message <-b.net>
    from David Dyer-Bennet <> contains these words:

    > dslr <> writes:

    > > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > > > What does it *mean*? Are you viewing through the taking lens? Is the
    > > > light split to share between the viewfinder and the sensor, or does
    > > > the light path change to direct all the light to either the viewfinder
    > > > or the sensor as appropriate?

    > > Instead of a solid glass prism, it is a hollow structure of mirrors -
    > > lighter and cheaper, but easier to damage of the camera takes a knock.

    > Thanks. So if I understand you, the "pentamirror" is a cheaper but
    > less durable (probably also lighter) replacement for the pentaprism.

    The pentamirror is less bright because more light is lost from external
    reflection from a mirror than from internal reflection from a pentaprism.
    A good pentaprism has more contrast. Yes, a pentaprism is heavier.

    > This may be a good time for the "don't buy version 1.0" meme to kick
    > in; or not, sounds like a dynamite price-performance package really.

    Killer camera with the lens.

    Deryck
    deryck lant, Aug 20, 2003
  4. deryck  lant

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    THe Rebel line has used penat- mirrors from the start - in 1991. As an owner
    of one of the first Rebels I can tell you the viewfinder was brighter than
    either of my 1960s vintage Nikons and almost as bright as the Elan I bought
    in 1992. The trick is that the image is a bit smaller - concentrating the
    light. The original Rebel was a fine camera and every model since has had
    improvements. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a digital Rebel to anyone who
    isn't looking ofr a professional level camera or in need of some specific
    feature. In other words this would serve all the people who currently would
    have a film Rebel or any other camera in the Rebel class -- Minolta Maxxum 5
    etc. I may feel differently after handling one, but the Rebel Ti has
    surprized the hell out of me -- ergonomically it's a marvel. I suspect the
    new body is going to be just as good.
    I obviously can't comment on the lenses.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Aug 20, 2003