Re: 300D as a 'Four Thirds' killer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bernhard Mayer, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Alan F Cross <> wrote in message news:<DfkfgSMzX3Q$>...
    > Looks to me that the new Canon 300D, amongst other things, is designed
    > to be a 'Four Thirds' killer.

    don't think so...

    4/3 is essentially Olympus and that's a strong and closed community
    that apparently justifies releasing new products. The E-10 is an
    exceptionally nice camera, but it is definetely topped by any digital
    SLR and many of the top end consumer models such as Minolta 7i, Sony
    F717 and Nikon 5700. Same story with the E-20: nice camera but there
    is better stuff on the market.
    Yet, both cameras sell well despite of the fact that for the price of
    an E-20 set you can buy a 10D. The E1 is going to prompt E-10 and E-20
    users to switch and I believe there is enough of them to make this
    camera successful.

    As for the Sony 828. I wouldn't be surprised to see higher Sony sales
    than Canon 300D (digital Rebel).

    Let's face it. Look at the target group and you'll notice that these
    people usually buy the EOS 300 (Rebel 2000 or what)with either the
    supplied lenses or one of those infamous Sigma/Tamron 28-200 or
    28-300. After a year of using this set, they forget how to release the
    lens... always interesting to have long time EOS 300 users in the shop
    buying their very first other lens.
    If you are an advanced EOS users (e.g. EOS 30/33 or even EOS 3), you
    may not like the 300D. It doesn't have the thumb wheel that I love. I
    suspect, you cannot select individual AF sensors (though I don't
    know). It's a pain to use it in P override (lack of second wheel). It
    doesn't have a top display and somehowe I like that better than the
    position in the rear... and it's the infamous el-cheapo Canon plastic.

    And the Sony? It comes with 2 MP more than the 300D, it has a
    2.0-2.8/28-200 and despite of the fact that today you just buy the
    "Carl Zeiss" logo allthough the lens itself may only remotely resemble
    something we used to know as "Carl Zeiss" it still has 2.0 max.
    apperture. For the EOS system, you can't even buy a lens like this. It
    has a display you can use for framing. It has some voodoo laser
    holographic AF etc... and for that target group, these "advantages"
    sell.

    Bernhard Mayer, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Bernhard Mayer

    peter Guest

    "Bernhard Mayer" <> wrote in message
    > If you are an advanced EOS users (e.g. EOS 30/33 or even EOS 3), you
    > may not like the 300D. It doesn't have the thumb wheel that I love. I

    Try to scroll a photo vertically and horizontally using the thumb wheel on
    the 10D. After a while, you'd either get used to it, or hate it. I hate it.
    I think the four-way buttons are better.

    peter, Aug 29, 2003

  3. Bernhard Mayer

    Jim Townsend Guest

    peter wrote:

    > "Bernhard Mayer" <> wrote in message
    >> If you are an advanced EOS users (e.g. EOS 30/33 or even EOS 3), you
    >> may not like the 300D. It doesn't have the thumb wheel that I love. I

    > Try to scroll a photo vertically and horizontally using the thumb wheel on
    > the 10D. After a while, you'd either get used to it, or hate it. I hate it.
    > I think the four-way buttons are better.

    I hate it too..

    I don't mind scrolling with the wheel, but I dislike having to use *both*
    thumbs..

    One thumb for the wheel and the other to hit the button that puts the wheel in
    up/down or left/right scroll mode. It's clumsy.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 29, 2003