Re: 2Mbit broadband for less than $30?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gary, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:26:42 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >
    >>> Real Broadband if only

    >> 30 pounds is over NZ$100.
    >>

    >And an average UK salary of 18,000 pounds is $NZ50,000.
    >And an average NZ salary of $34,000 is 12,000 pounds.
    >
    >Using relative ppp's 30 pounds is equivalent to approx $NZ57.

    Where did you get the average UK salery from. I am sure it is quite a
    bit higher than that. I think that it is certainly in the mid 20s.

    Gary, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Gary

    Jay Guest

    Gary wrote:

    >>> 30 pounds is over NZ$100.
    >>>

    >>And an average UK salary of 18,000 pounds is $NZ50,000.
    >>And an average NZ salary of $34,000 is 12,000 pounds.
    >>
    >>Using relative ppp's 30 pounds is equivalent to approx $NZ57.

    > Where did you get the average UK salery from. I am sure it is quite a
    > bit higher than that. I think that it is certainly in the mid 20s.

    My figure includes Scotland and Wales (part of UK still I think).
    If you think it is *certainly* in the mid 20s then prove it.

    Jay, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Gary

    pbs Guest

    Gary wrote:

    >>>30 pounds is over NZ$100.
    >>>

    >>And an average UK salary of 18,000 pounds is $NZ50,000.
    >>And an average NZ salary of $34,000 is 12,000 pounds.
    >>
    >>Using relative ppp's 30 pounds is equivalent to approx $NZ57.

    > Where did you get the average UK salery from. I am sure it is quite a
    > bit higher than that. I think that it is certainly in the mid 20s.

    http://www.oecd.org/home/
    http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/48/5/2371372.pdf

    GDP per capita 2001 in USD

    country, Exchange rate, Purchasing power
    USA 35,200 35,200

    Germany 22,500 26,300
    UK 24,300 26,400
    Ireland 26,600 30,000

    NZ 13,100 21,200

    OECD 22,100 24,500
    Major 7 29,300 30,100
    Euro Zone 20,000 25,300

    I think that if you want to make comparisons with cheap broadband
    you should have a look at prices in Germany!

    I have inclued Ireland in these figures because it has a population
    about the same size and a distribution similar to New Zealand
    (One city of 1M Dublin) two > 100K (Cork, Limerick)

    http://www.oecd.org/document/43/0,2340,en_2825_495684_1934699_1_1_1_1,00.html

    http://www.cso.ie/text/schools/natacc/natacc.html
    http://www.johnkay.com/political/158
    http://europa.eu.int/