Re: 2610 with T1 support question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Adrian Jensen, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Alex wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a backup for our 2610 which is being used to connect
    > to our T1 for Internet access. I'm not at all familiar with routers.
    > I'm concerned that if our existing one fails we'll be up the creek...
    >
    > Can someone give me an idea of what I should expect to pay (on eBay or
    > elsewhere) for a used Cisco 2610 with T1 support (WIC Card?)? I'm in
    > the United States.
    >
    > What are the things I should be watching for?
    >
    > Is the 2610 capable of supporting another T1 card such that I may
    > provide some redundancy by getting a second ISP?

    I look for cheap 2600s from time to time on Ebay to play around with and
    figure out how to best program the live ones at work. As I recall, a
    2610 with a WIC-1DSU-T1 will generally go for about $400-500, a
    2620/2621 (fast ethernet built in) goes for ~$700. But it depends alot
    on age, IOS version, and demand that day. Additional T1 WICs are in the
    range of $100.

    You can easily drop a second T1 WIC in the existing router.
    Configuration is tricky if your going to try running a multi-homed
    network (i.e. hosting servers/machines locally that have public IP
    numbers, accessed through ISPs with different IP ranges). Otherwise
    setting up to T1 links is rather straight forward, each T1 having a
    different IP, dual routes to the world. Of course, both T1s go out
    through the same phone lines, through the same CO most likely. So a tall
    truck ripping the lines off the pole down the street, or your friendly
    backhoe down at the CO will still take out both T1s.

    Adrian

    Adrian Jensen, Jul 10, 2003