Re: $25 ISP Piracy warning charge

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Me, Mar 23, 2012.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    On 23/03/2012 8:16 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
    > Greg Wong<> wrote:
    >

    >> I have just heard from a mate that they want this ISP fee remove or
    >> dropped to say $3.
    >>
    >> Why to we have pander to the Yank Dictator.?
    >>
    >> Do we also need this bad free trade deal.?

    > Yep..

    Why?
    Me, Mar 23, 2012

  2. Me

    Peter Guest

    Me wrote:

    > On 23/03/2012 8:16 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
    >> Greg Wong<> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have just heard from a mate that they want this ISP fee remove or
    >>> dropped to say $3.
    >>>
    >>> Why to we have pander to the Yank Dictator.?
    >>>
    >>> Do we also need this bad free trade deal.?

    >> Yep..

    > Why?

    Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
    power) agreed to it.
    Peter, Mar 23, 2012

  3. Me

    -Newsman- Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:24:02 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >Me wrote:

    >>> Yep..

    >> Why?

    >Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
    >power) agreed to it.

    You are conflating 'need' with 'obligation' - false argument.
    -Newsman-, Mar 24, 2012
  4. Me

    wrote:

    >Me wrote:

    >>> Yep..

    >> Why?

    >Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
    >power) agreed to it.

    What agreement are you referring to, Peter?
    , Mar 25, 2012
  5. Me

    Me Guest

    On 26/03/2012 8:23 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:24:02 +1300, Peter<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
    >>> power) agreed to it.

    >> What agreement are you referring to, Peter?

    > To get a FTA with the US both Labor and National are prepared to sell
    > out Kiwis to the US media companies..

    Isn't part of the thread above alluding to the possibility that it may
    be a "bad" FTA anyway?
    I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
    as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
    supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
    a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
    cost.
    Me, Mar 25, 2012
  6. Me

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:22:18 +1300, Me <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
    >as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
    >supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
    >a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
    >cost.

    Au contraire. IMO NZ produces far better mass produced cheeses for the
    general market. But NZ cheese makers still don't offer Monterey Jack -
    which is one of my all-time favourites. And Yank boutique cheese
    makers are equal to NZ's. So are those in Ireland, the UK, France,
    Switzerland, etc. But I agree that NZ makes the best bulk cheeses.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Jack
    Donchano, Mar 25, 2012
  7. Me

    Me Guest

    On 26/03/2012 11:45 a.m., Donchano wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:22:18 +1300, Me<> shouted from
    > the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
    >> as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
    >> supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
    >> a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
    >> cost.

    > Au contraire. IMO NZ produces far better mass produced cheeses for the
    > general market. But NZ cheese makers still don't offer Monterey Jack -
    > which is one of my all-time favourites. And Yank boutique cheese
    > makers are equal to NZ's. So are those in Ireland, the UK, France,
    > Switzerland, etc. But I agree that NZ makes the best bulk cheeses.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Jack

    When they start putting boutique cheese in 1/4 pounders, then you have a
    point, perhaps.
    But an FTA which guarantees free trade in specialty products, but would
    exclude commodities (as it almost certainly would) is hardly worth using
    as toilet paper.
    Me, Mar 26, 2012
  8. In article <jkj0mi$ruq$>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Me wrote:

    >>> Yep..

    >> Why?

    >Because our government (ie the National and Labour parties, whichever is in
    >power) agreed to it.

    As my granny used to say ...

    Want is not the same as need ! :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 26, 2012
  9. In article <>, Mutlley <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >To get a FTA with the US both Labor and National are prepared to sell
    >out Kiwis to the US media companies..

    ... and to sell many other supposed principles for some (probably imagined)
    money. While not a new idea, it is still wrong. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 26, 2012
  10. In article <jko5qt$sgt$>, Me <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Isn't part of the thread above alluding to the possibility that it may
    >be a "bad" FTA anyway?
    >I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
    >as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
    >supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
    >a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
    >cost.

    Except, the free trade deal would very likely notably exclude things that NZ
    makes/exports. Like cheese.

    Farming lobby in the US is strong. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 26, 2012
  11. Me

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:12:20 +1300, Me <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >On 26/03/2012 11:45 a.m., Donchano wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:22:18 +1300, Me<> shouted from
    >> the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >>> I can imagine the test of the "goodness" of the FTA would come as soon
    >>> as Fonterra negotiated a deal with McD's, Taco Bell, and Subway to
    >>> supply cheese for the US market, which would be the inevitable result of
    >>> a "free" TA, as we make better cheese than the yanks do, and at a lower
    >>> cost.

    >> Au contraire. IMO NZ produces far better mass produced cheeses for the
    >> general market. But NZ cheese makers still don't offer Monterey Jack -
    >> which is one of my all-time favourites. And Yank boutique cheese
    >> makers are equal to NZ's. So are those in Ireland, the UK, France,
    >> Switzerland, etc. But I agree that NZ makes the best bulk cheeses.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Jack
    >>

    >When they start putting boutique cheese in 1/4 pounders, then you have a
    >point, perhaps.

    Of course Monterey Jack isn't considered a boutique cheese in the
    States and is available in supermarkets, restaurants and fast food
    joints like McDonalds, Burger King and Taco Bell, etc.

    >But an FTA which guarantees free trade in specialty products, but would
    >exclude commodities (as it almost certainly would) is hardly worth using
    >as toilet paper.

    Forgot to mention Dutch cheeses, which I buy regularly from the Cheese
    on Wheels people. It comes in wheels and I usually buy around 500gms
    of Maasdam every few weeks for home use and 300gm wedges of aged Edam
    and Gouda for the kids.
    Donchano, Mar 26, 2012