    "Patrick Bold wrote:
    I can write 1 line of C code that can crash Windows."

    Ok, I'll bite, show us.....

    James, Jun 20, 2004

  2. James

    Harry Guest

    James wrote:

    > Original quote
    > "Patrick Bold wrote:
    > I can write 1 line of C code that can crash Windows."
    >
    > Ok, I'll bite, show us.....

    main() { ExitWindows(0,0); }

    Harry, Jun 20, 2004

  3. James

    paul Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > James wrote:
    >
    > > Original quote
    > > "Patrick Bold wrote:
    > > I can write 1 line of C code that can crash Windows."
    > >
    > > Ok, I'll bite, show us.....

    > main() { ExitWindows(0,0); }

    not exactly a crash though, is it?

    paul, Jun 20, 2004
  4. James

    James Guest

    Exiting a C routine is not crashing windows...

    James, Jun 21, 2004
  5. James

    Harry Guest

    James wrote:

    > Exiting a C routine is not crashing windows...

    ExitWindows() does not exit a C routine, it exits windows.
    Think about it ... ExitWindows(), Exit .. Windows ... !!

    So any malicious code can more-or-less do what it likes
    with your Windows computer. ExitWindows() is only the tip of
    the iceberg.

    A malicious code writer can even replace system dlls with an
    intercepting dll which can track every single thing your computer
    does, and/or modify its behavior at the same time. It depends on
    the slightly obscure "x=y.original" link time definition file aliasing.
    Not to mention the myriad of hooks and subclassing techniques.

    Anyhow Windows is full of such holes and is a lot of fun because
    of it. Linux, on the other hand, is more reliable and bullet-proof but
    a bit boring also.

    Harry, Jun 21, 2004