Re $20 for DVDs is a joke

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by turntrio, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. turntrio

    turntrio Guest

    turntrio wrote:
    >> 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    >> more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    >> at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    >> Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    >> $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    >Plenty of movies are well-worth the price, I even pay more than thirty
    >bucks for just one movie if it's worth it too me. Stop buying all the
    >Kangaroo Jacks and buy something black and white for a change, learn
    >that there were movies *before* Star Wars. :p

    I buy movies from the 50's to current releases. It's rare that I
    would find more than a couple releases for any given year that I
    would pay $15 to $20.
    The price of DVD recorders is dropping. Like the music industry
    with overpriced CDs, the movie studios are just begging consumers
    to use these recorders to make copies instead of purchasing dvds
    At $10 and less, I would just purchase the DVD. At $15 to $20 I'm
    going to rent and make copies.
    turntrio, Feb 29, 2004

  2. turntrio

    Justin Guest

    turntrio wrote on [28 Feb 2004 17:42:44 -0800]:
    > turntrio wrote:
    >>> 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
    >>> more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
    >>> at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
    >>> Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
    >>> $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

    >>Plenty of movies are well-worth the price, I even pay more than thirty
    >>bucks for just one movie if it's worth it too me. Stop buying all the
    >>Kangaroo Jacks and buy something black and white for a change, learn
    >>that there were movies *before* Star Wars. :p

    > I buy movies from the 50's to current releases. It's rare that I
    > would find more than a couple releases for any given year that I
    > would pay $15 to $20.
    > The price of DVD recorders is dropping. Like the music industry
    > with overpriced CDs, the movie studios are just begging consumers
    > to use these recorders to make copies instead of purchasing dvds
    > At $10 and less, I would just purchase the DVD. At $15 to $20 I'm
    > going to rent and make copies.

    You'd still make copies if they were free.
    Justin, Feb 29, 2004

  3. >You'd still make copies if they were free

    yes I would. As a back-up copy for each title in case my original free disc
    gets damaged or broken.

    and the Supreme Court ruled that you are allowed to make one back-up copy of
    each title you have.

    therefore, it's perfectly legal.
    Waterperson77, Feb 29, 2004
  4. turntrio

    turntrio Guest

    TSKO wrote on [Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:34:37 GMT]:

    >Does blockbuster really rent DVDs for 2-3 $?
    >
    >I pay 4.something per DVD rental

    No...I was just giving a conservative estimate.
    $4 sounds more like Blockbuster's rental fee.
    I would recommend netflix for rentals. I average
    9 to 12 rentals per the $20 monthly fee and you
    don't have to waste time and gas returning rentals.

    At $2.something for the rental (netflix) and the
    cost for blank dvds, plus wear and tear on my DVD
    recorder, I do buy factory originals at $10 or less.
    At $15 to $20 its a no brainer. I'm going to rent
    and make copies.
    turntrio, Feb 29, 2004
  5. do you know what the penalty for bigamy is?

    It's having two wives.
    Waterperson77, Feb 29, 2004
  6. turntrio

    luminos Guest

    "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    > >You'd still make copies if they were free

    > yes I would. As a back-up copy for each title in case my original free

    disc
    > gets damaged or broken.
    >
    > and the Supreme Court ruled that you are allowed to make one back-up copy

    of
    > each title you have.
    >
    > therefore, it's perfectly legal.

    The Supreme Court has not ruled on this. A lower court just this week found
    against 321 software DVDXCopy, indicating that any circumvention of copy
    protection on DVD is illegal. As it stands, we are not allowed to make
    backup copies. The judge ignored section 4c of the DMCA that specifically
    states fair use is not compromised, instead focusing solely on the
    circumvention of the copy protection clause and upholding it. As Vallenti
    of the MPAA put it, if you want a backup copy, buy two.
    luminos, Feb 29, 2004
  7. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU luminos
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"
    > The Supreme Court has not ruled on this. A lower court just this
    > week found against 321 software DVDXCopy, indicating that any
    > circumvention of copy protection on DVD is illegal. As it stands, we
    > are not allowed to make backup copies. The judge ignored section 4c
    > of the DMCA that specifically states fair use is not compromised,
    > instead focusing solely on the circumvention of the copy protection
    > clause and upholding it. As Vallenti of the MPAA put it, if you want
    > a backup copy, buy two.

    While I do agree it is morally wrong to copy something you don't own,
    I disagree with what Vallenti is saying. What if it something that was
    hard enough to find to begin with, or something that you want to make
    your own personal backup of so that when your kids/grandkids/etc want
    to watch then they are using the backup so your real copy is safe? Does
    idiots like Vallenti think we are made of money and should buy TWO
    copies of whatever DVD it is just so he can make twice the money.

    I disagree with his logic there. If I want a backup copy, I'll just use my
    DVD-R drive. He can kiss my butt as far as I'm concerned - same
    with the DMCA.

    --
    Demolition Man
    A reminder to the world....
    Demolition Man, Feb 29, 2004
  8. turntrio

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Demolition Man wrote:

    > While I do agree it is morally wrong to copy something you don't own,
    > I disagree with what Vallenti is saying. What if it something that was
    > hard enough to find to begin with, or something that you want to make
    > your own personal backup of so that when your kids/grandkids/etc want
    > to watch then they are using the backup so your real copy is safe? Does
    > idiots like Vallenti think we are made of money and should buy TWO
    > copies of whatever DVD it is just so he can make twice the money.
    >
    > I disagree with his logic there.

    His logic is that the MPAA is a professional trade group whose purpose
    is to get legistation passed favorable to its members. So as a lobbyist
    his logic is always going to favor the financial interests of his employers.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Feb 29, 2004
  9. turntrio

    Biz Guest

    WHen they come up with a way for legitimate owners to make backups while
    preventing renters and pirates to get copies as well, I'll back the MPAA's
    decisions 100%. ANyone who thinks its ok to make copies of movies they
    didnt purchase legitimately should be shot. You want to dub stuff from your
    video tapes, fine, its crappy analog, you want to burn stuff you recorded
    from television, fine, even on a Tivo or some such device. But making
    digital copies of digital medium that you don't own is completely wrong.

    Biz, Mar 3, 2004