Re: 2 DVD readers with different prices have the same imege quality?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Adriano, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Adriano

    Adriano Guest

    Thanks for your news,
    but I mean a desk DVD reader.
    However can you tell me what do you mean "a hardware-based MPEG-2
    decoder"? Do you mean a videocard like NVidia GeoForce4 MX440?
    However can you tell me about the desk DVD reader?
    thanks

    Adriano, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Adriano

    Lithurge Guest

    Adriano <> wrote in

    > Thanks for your news,
    > but I mean a desk DVD reader.
    > However can you tell me what do you mean "a hardware-based
    > MPEG-2 decoder"? Do you mean a videocard like NVidia
    > GeoForce4 MX440? However can you tell me about the desk DVD
    > reader? thanks
    >

    >>If you're referring to DVD computer drives, a standalone
    >>drive should have no effect upon image quality as it's
    >>simply reading digital data. Image quality is going to
    >>depend upon variables such as your monitor and the type of
    >>MPEG-2 decoding that your system is using.
    >>
    >>In my own case, I was much happier with a hardware-based
    >>MPEG-2 decoder--I purchased an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon
    >>card three years ago, partly because it included
    >>hardware-based MPEG-2 decoding. Once installed, I noticed
    >>an immediate improvement in sharpness/clarity/smoothness of
    >>DVD images.
    >>
    >>Before the Radeon card, I had been using a software-based
    >>MPEG-2 decoder/player, which had been furnished with the
    >>Gateway system that I had at the time. I wasn't happy with
    >>it at all.
    >>

    >>"Adriano" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'd like to know if two DVD readers with different prices
    >>> ($100 and $300) have the same image quality.
    >>> Compression defects doesn't interest me but
    >>> I mean: definition, sharpness, chromatism, etc.
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> bye Adriano

    Nope for a hardware MPEG2 decoder he means a dedicated card
    that slots in a PCI slot & is purely there to perform DVD
    playback, and comes with it's own software to play the DVD.

    A lot of graphics cards can take some of the strain off the
    CPU when using a software decoder such as WinDVD or PowerDVD,
    but it's not the same.

    As for a standalone player it's unlikely that a $100 one will
    be as good as $300 whether you'd notice the difference
    depends on what you've got it hooked up to, and how you've
    got it hooked up. Of course there are always exceptions.

    Lithurge, Jan 25, 2004