Re: 2.4 Ghz WiFI Spectrum getting crowded

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > With Telescum handing out WiFi access points like candy things are
    > getting crowded a bit.
    > Ran up inSSIDER at home, 6 WiFi points found now there are really only
    > three usable channels and in my case Ch1 3 users, Ch6 2 Users, Ch11 just
    > me, now allowing for geographic separation such as me being in the
    > middle between Points sharing a channel and therefore those two users
    > don't interfere with each other, it is still getting crowded and not
    > likely to get any better.
    >
    > Bet there are a few people around that wonder why they are getting crap
    > performance from there WiFi

    thats before you take into account 40MHz channels of 802.11n as well,
    which can nicely take out all usable channels for G while being largely
    unaffected by their attempts at operating.
    Richard, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>> With Telescum handing out WiFi access points like candy things are
    >>> getting crowded a bit.
    >>> Ran up inSSIDER at home, 6 WiFi points found now there are really
    >>> only three usable channels and in my case Ch1 3 users, Ch6 2 Users,
    >>> Ch11 just me, now allowing for geographic separation such as me being
    >>> in the middle between Points sharing a channel and therefore those
    >>> two users don't interfere with each other, it is still getting
    >>> crowded and not likely to get any better.
    >>>
    >>> Bet there are a few people around that wonder why they are getting
    >>> crap performance from there WiFi

    >> thats before you take into account 40MHz channels of 802.11n as well,
    >> which can nicely take out all usable channels for G while being
    >> largely unaffected by their attempts at operating.

    > Can you point me at any tech info on this subject it is of interest to me.
    >
    > I bumped the output of my G unit the other night to keep it ahead of the
    > new boys on the block

    I think it was dropped from the final 802.11n spec, but several of the
    pre-n type ones would do channel bonding to 40MHz wide when needed, so
    twice as wide as a normal wifi channel. Some will only do it on the 5GHz
    band since there are many channels there.

    I think it was a belkin that my mate had which would kill wifi 3
    apartments away when he was moving stuff between laptop and the
    fileserver. There were 2 common varients of the pre-n routers, not all
    would enable the feature however.

    I'm serously thinking of changing some of my APs out for 802.11a since
    there is nothing on that band here, and about 30 802.11g APs visable
    from various places on the property. From the roof on a 12dBi omni over
    60 showed up last time we tried... And that was 2 years back..
    Richard, Dec 8, 2009