Re: 1st Day Of Summer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael Baldwin, Bruce, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. nemo wrote:
    > "Tim Bruening" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > nemo wrote:
    > >
    > > > Tim Bruening <> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > > Happy Longest Day in the Northern Hemisphere too - for all you WW2 film
    > > > fans.
    > > >
    > > > I liked those Bangalot Torpedoes!
    > > >
    > > > http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/SummerSolstice.html

    > > Happy 3rd day of summer!
    > >

    > I got soaked today - to the skin. Rain dripping off my eyelashes and teh tip
    > of my nose. That kins of soaked!! So much for a happy 4th day!!

    Its been pissing rain here for weeks too. And what's this shit about
    summer? Its been winter since the 1st of June here.

    > And since my digital camera arrived last Tuesday, every time I've got ready
    > to go out and put it through its paces, it's bloody well rained too!
    >
    > Got an EF 55 to 200mm USM zoom lens arriving tommorow. Dirt cheap. £119..99.
    > ($239.70)
    >
    > No more lenses for now though. I'm not gonna fall into teh trap of
    > collecting lenses for the sake of it. I'm told that's quite common.

    Yeah, a lot of fools do that. They are like car hoons. They aren't
    really photographers. What with the quality of lens nowadays, all you
    need is two or 3 good zoom lenses - one for wide angle, one for
    moderate angles and one for long (although you could get a pricey lens
    that does moderate to long so carrying around only 2).

    Heck, you don't even need attachments any more (apart from a
    polarising lens). Most everything else you can do with software (apart
    from infra-red - would be nice if they made colour infra-red cameras
    too).

    > Next it's a nice photo printer. This one! - once I've meke room for the huge
    > dirty great big bugger!
    >
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-3328063-15100-3328076-1143049.html
    >
    > The cheapest I've seen it so far over here is £411. ($821.07). Well - they
    > *do* call this 'Rip Off Britain'!

    Don't bother with HP. Their printers are crap! You get what you pay
    for. Canon have a very nice one out now.
    Michael Baldwin, Bruce, Jun 26, 2007

  2. Michael Baldwin, Bruce

    nemo Guest

    "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" <> wrote in message
    nemo wrote:
    > "Tim Bruening" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > nemo wrote:
    > >
    > > > Tim Bruening <> wrote in message
    > > > >

    > > > Happy Longest Day in the Northern Hemisphere too - for all you WW2

    film
    > > > fans.
    > > >
    > > > I liked those Bangalot Torpedoes!
    > > >
    > > > http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/SummerSolstice.html

    > > Happy 3rd day of summer!
    > >

    > I got soaked today - to the skin. Rain dripping off my eyelashes and teh

    tip
    > of my nose. That kins of soaked!! So much for a happy 4th day!!

    Its been pissing rain here for weeks too. And what's this shit about
    summer? Its been winter since the 1st of June here.

    > And since my digital camera arrived last Tuesday, every time I've got

    ready
    > to go out and put it through its paces, it's bloody well rained too!
    >
    > Got an EF 55 to 200mm USM zoom lens arriving tommorow. Dirt cheap.

    £119.99.
    > ($239.70)
    >
    > No more lenses for now though. I'm not gonna fall into teh trap of
    > collecting lenses for the sake of it. I'm told that's quite common.

    Yeah, a lot of fools do that. They are like car hoons. They aren't
    really photographers. What with the quality of lens nowadays, all you
    need is two or 3 good zoom lenses - one for wide angle, one for
    moderate angles and one for long (although you could get a pricey lens
    that does moderate to long so carrying around only 2).

    I just bought the EOS-400D body and battery grip and saved money by making
    do with the old 28mm and 50mm prime lenses I had with my EOS1000, which
    became a 44 and an 80mm.

    Only went for the zoom to fill in the telephoto gap for candid, hooligan and
    wildlife stuff. Very pleasantly surprised to see no visible spherical
    distortion even at the extreme ends. Looks like they've finally got zooms
    right at last.

    Heck, you don't even need attachments any more (apart from a
    polarising lens). Most everything else you can do with software (apart
    from infra-red - would be nice if they made colour infra-red cameras
    too).

    There once was an extremely fast Army Surplus infra-red film available that
    could see right through girls' dresses!!! Didn't stay on saqle for very
    long.

    A friend of mine used it by mistake to photograph a wedding. He got hit!!

    > Next it's a nice photo printer. This one! - once I've make room for the

    huge
    > dirty great big bugger!

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-3328063-15100-3328076-1143049.html

    > The cheapest I've seen it so far over here is £411. ($821.07). Well - they
    > *do* call this 'Rip Off Britain'!

    Don't bother with HP. Their printers are crap! You get what you pay
    for. Canon have a very nice one out now.

    That's why 'What Digital Camera' magazine says:

    'Built like a tank, the B9180 prints from 15x10cm up to A3 and the print
    quality is outstanding. It features four card slots and PictBridge, and
    while it may not be the cheapest A3 printer on the market, it's the best
    that we've tested so far.'

    . . ice up hose! (brrr!)

    And that's only one of the accolades it's been given.

    There's somebody aroun 'ere who deserves just one accolade - and that's
    being strangled! :eek:)

    (Philological pun.)

    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=accolade
    nemo, Jun 26, 2007

  3. nemo wrote:
    > "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > nemo wrote:
    > > "Tim Bruening" <> wrote in message

    > film

    > > > Happy 3rd day of summer!
    > > >

    > > I got soaked today - to the skin. Rain dripping off my eyelashes and teh

    > tip
    > > of my nose. That kins of soaked!! So much for a happy 4th day!!

    > Its been pissing rain here for weeks too. And what's this shit about
    > summer? Its been winter since the 1st of June here.
    >
    > > And since my digital camera arrived last Tuesday, every time I've got

    > ready
    > > to go out and put it through its paces, it's bloody well rained too!
    > >
    > > Got an EF 55 to 200mm USM zoom lens arriving tommorow. Dirt cheap.

    > £119.99.
    > > ($239.70)
    > >
    > > No more lenses for now though. I'm not gonna fall into teh trap of
    > > collecting lenses for the sake of it. I'm told that's quite common.

    > Yeah, a lot of fools do that. They are like car hoons. They aren't
    > really photographers. What with the quality of lens nowadays, all you
    > need is two or 3 good zoom lenses - one for wide angle, one for
    > moderate angles and one for long (although you could get a pricey lens
    > that does moderate to long so carrying around only 2).
    >
    > I just bought the EOS-400D body and battery grip and saved money by making
    > do with the old 28mm and 50mm prime lenses I had with my EOS1000, which
    > became a 44 and an 80mm.

    Sweet! Although Canon lens aren't usually the best - particularly the
    older ones.

    > Only went for the zoom to fill in the telephoto gap for candid, hooligan and
    > wildlife stuff. Very pleasantly surprised to see no visible spherical
    > distortion even at the extreme ends. Looks like they've finally got zooms
    > right at last.

    Its not so much that as the fact that the CCD surface area is smaller
    than that for standard 35mm film (24mm x 36mm). Put the lens on your
    EOS1000 and it should be more obvious.

    > Heck, you don't even need attachments any more (apart from a
    > polarising lens). Most everything else you can do with software (apart
    > from infra-red - would be nice if they made colour infra-red cameras
    > too).
    >
    > There once was an extremely fast Army Surplus infra-red film available that
    > could see right through girls' dresses!!! Didn't stay on saqle for very
    > long.

    The Japs (Sony I think) had low light video cameras that worked at
    near infra-red. Someone found out by accident (yeah, right) that you
    could turn on the function during bright daylight. So all of a sudden
    there were a lot of Jap pervs on beaches with the cameras. Supposedly,
    they could "see" through bikinis etc.

    > A friend of mine used it by mistake to photograph a wedding. He got hit!!

    Serves him right.

    > > Next it's a nice photo printer. This one! - once I've make room for the
    > > huge dirty great big bugger!
    > >

    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-3328063-15100-3328076-1143049.html
    > >
    > > The cheapest I've seen it so far over here is £411. ($821.07). Well - they
    > > *do* call this 'Rip Off Britain'!

    > Don't bother with HP. Their printers are crap! You get what you pay
    > for. Canon have a very nice one out now.
    >
    > That's why 'What Digital Camera' magazine says:

    Ah, yes, What Digital Camera. The hallmark for good technical advice.

    > 'Built like a tank, the B9180 prints from 15x10cm up to A3 and the print
    > quality is outstanding. It features four card slots and PictBridge, and
    > while it may not be the cheapest A3 printer on the market, it's the best
    > that we've tested so far.'
    >
    > . . ice up hose! (brrr!)
    >
    > And that's only one of the accolades it's been given.
    >
    > There's somebody aroun 'ere who deserves just one accolade - and that's
    > being strangled! :eek:)

    I know what you mean.

    Michael Baldwin, Bruce, Jun 27, 2007
  4. Michael Baldwin, Bruce

    John Turco Guest

    "Michael Baldwin, Bruce" wrote:

    > nemo wrote:

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    > > Next it's a nice photo printer. This one! - once I've meke room for the huge
    > > dirty great big bugger!
    > >
    > > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-3328063-15100-3328076-1143049.html
    > >
    > > The cheapest I've seen it so far over here is £411. ($821.07). Well - they
    > > *do* call this 'Rip Off Britain'!

    > Don't bother with HP. Their printers are crap! You get what you pay
    > for. Canon have a very nice one out now.

    Hello, Michael:

    I disagree, most vehemently. Hewlett-Packard printers are a fair match,
    for their Canon and Epson counterparts.

    For example, my HP "Photosmart D7160" (photo-quality inkjet) generates
    prints, that are as pleasing as those from the Epson "Stylus Photo 825,"
    which it replaced, almost three months ago.

    Further, whereas the 825 was a perpetual clog-hog, the D7160 has caused
    no hassles, thus far.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jun 29, 2007