Re: 1899 & 18866 VOIP calls are no more!!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 19, 2005.

  1. Thus spaketh :
    > "In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
    > discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
    > 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this
    > date."
    >
    > Any alternatives that are either very cheap or very free??

    I reported this a few days on uk.telecom.voip .

    Still not sure whether 1899 will prevent access other than via their own
    software or will just not offer help.

    I'm still able to use 3rd party software at the moment, though there is still
    one day left, maybe those with hardware like Ivor will be able to let us know
    whether they can no longer use hardware to connect to the 1899 service.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 19, 2005

  2. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:04:38 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <> wrote:

    >Thus spaketh :
    >> "In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
    >> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
    >> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this
    >> date."
    >>
    >> Any alternatives that are either very cheap or very free??

    >I reported this a few days on uk.telecom.voip .
    >
    >Still not sure whether 1899 will prevent access other than via their own
    >software or will just not offer help.
    >
    >I'm still able to use 3rd party software at the moment, though there is still
    >one day left, maybe those with hardware like Ivor will be able to let us know
    >whether they can no longer use hardware to connect to the 1899 service.

    Just tried ours now and instead of getting the ZERO pence pr minute I
    got ONE PENCE PR MINUTE stuff em .

    , May 19, 2005

  3. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    sandman112 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:04:38 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thus spaketh :
    >>> "In order to save capacity for our 1899 client software users, we will
    >>> discontinue supporting other SIP/IAX devices on our network as from
    >>> 20.05.2005 Please switch over to the 1899 client software before this
    >>> date."
    >>>
    >>> Any alternatives that are either very cheap or very free??

    >>I reported this a few days on uk.telecom.voip .
    >>
    >>Still not sure whether 1899 will prevent access other than via their own
    >>software or will just not offer help.
    >>
    >>I'm still able to use 3rd party software at the moment, though there is
    >>still
    >>one day left, maybe those with hardware like Ivor will be able to let us
    >>know
    >>whether they can no longer use hardware to connect to the 1899 service.
    >>

    > Just tried ours now and instead of getting the ZERO pence pr minute I
    > got ONE PENCE PR MINUTE stuff em .

    yip just tried my 1899 on xten lite and same results, 1P PER MINUTE

    sux, im off to cancel

    sandman112, May 19, 2005
  4. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:52:21 GMT, "sandman112"
    <sandman112[SPAMTRAPER]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:04:38 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thus spaketh :

    >>>I reported this a few days on uk.telecom.voip .
    >>>
    >>>Still not sure whether 1899 will prevent access other than via their own
    >>>software or will just not offer help.
    >>>
    >>>I'm still able to use 3rd party software at the moment, though there is
    >>>still
    >>>one day left, maybe those with hardware like Ivor will be able to let us
    >>>know
    >>>whether they can no longer use hardware to connect to the 1899 service.
    >>>

    >> Just tried ours now and instead of getting the ZERO pence pr minute I
    >> got ONE PENCE PR MINUTE stuff em .

    >yip just tried my 1899 on xten lite and same results, 1P PER MINUTE
    >
    >sux, im off to cancel

    I am presuming 18866 are still only charging just the 2p connection
    fee .

    , May 19, 2005
  5. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    sandman112 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 22:52:21 GMT, "sandman112"
    > <sandman112[SPAMTRAPER]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Just tried ours now and instead of getting the ZERO pence pr minute I
    >>> got ONE PENCE PR MINUTE stuff em .

    >>yip just tried my 1899 on xten lite and same results, 1P PER MINUTE
    >>
    >>sux, im off to cancel

    > I am presuming 18866 are still only charging just the 2p connection
    > fee .

    it seems not, theres a post about 8 posts below this one (on
    uk.telecom.voip) about 18866, goes like this

    (17.05.2005) 18866 Voip Calls discontinued as from 20.05.2005
    As from 20.05.2005 Call18866 will stop supporting SIP/IAX devices for
    making Voip calls.

    sandman112, May 20, 2005
  6. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 23:05:18 GMT, "sandman112"
    <sandman112[SPAMTRAPER]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > As from 20.05.2005 Call18866 will stop supporting SIP/IAX devices for
    >making Voip calls.

    Not to worry it was good while it lasted their loss not mine going
    over the time they have been in existence this outfit do seem to have
    been an unstable bunch one minute its free next they are charging a
    connection fee next it is pr minute charging . I do hope they loose
    all their customers with this latest move after all with Sipgate and
    all the others one does get a line you can receive incoming calls on
    also .
    Has I said earlier stuff em !!!! I shall " loose" my visa delta card
    tomorrow and they can whistle for the 20p in call charges that I owe
    them .

    , May 20, 2005
  7. Thus spaketh :
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 23:05:18 GMT, "sandman112"
    > <sandman112[SPAMTRAPER]@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >> As from 20.05.2005 Call18866 will stop supporting SIP/IAX devices for
    >> making Voip calls.

    > Not to worry it was good while it lasted their loss not mine going
    > over the time they have been in existence this outfit do seem to have
    > been an unstable bunch one minute its free next they are charging a
    > connection fee next it is pr minute charging . I do hope they loose
    > all their customers with this latest move after all with Sipgate and
    > all the others one does get a line you can receive incoming calls on
    > also .
    > Has I said earlier stuff em !!!! I shall " loose" my visa delta card
    > tomorrow and they can whistle for the 20p in call charges that I owe
    > them .

    Seems strange they are now charging 1p/min on VoIP when from the landline it
    is still 0p/min!

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 20, 2005
  8. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    ^^artnada^^ Guest

    In news:,
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <> pop his head above the parapit and
    spewed forth:
    || Thus spaketh :
    ||| Not to worry it was good while it lasted their loss not mine going
    ||| over the time they have been in existence this outfit do seem to have
    ||| been an unstable bunch one minute its free next they are charging a
    ||| connection fee next it is pr minute charging . I do hope they loose
    ||| all their customers with this latest move after all with Sipgate and
    ||| all the others one does get a line you can receive incoming calls on
    ||| also .
    ||| Has I said earlier stuff em !!!! I shall " loose" my visa delta card
    ||| tomorrow and they can whistle for the 20p in call charges that I owe
    ||| them .
    || Seems strange they are now charging 1p/min on VoIP when from the landline
    it
    || is still 0p/min!

    UK Mobileshae gone up by 1p too. Was 2p/pm now 3p/pm

    ^^artnada^^, May 20, 2005
  9. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    ^^artnada^^ Guest

    In news:kjfje.35740$,
    ^^artnada^^ <> pop his head above the parapit and
    spewed forth:
    || In news:,
    || {{{{{Welcome}}}}} <> pop his head above the parapit and
    || spewed forth:
    || UK Mobileshae gone up by 1p too. Was 2p/pm now 3p/pm

    Also getting the 1p/p from thier software too on voip. :(

    Barstewards. Not even an email to tell you. Now that is not nice.

    ^^artnada^^, May 20, 2005
  10. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:22:06 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    <> wrote:
    >Barstewards. Not even an email to tell you. Now that is not nice.

    All references to 1899 and 18866 have now been completely removed from
    all our computers ATA's and phones their company they can do and
    charge exactly what they want with their service and pricing structure
    and we in return can walk away if we want and I have .

    , May 20, 2005
  11. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:22:06 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    > <> wrote:
    > >Barstewards. Not even an email to tell you. Now that is not nice.

    > All references to 1899 and 18866 have now been completely removed

    from
    > all our computers ATA's and phones their company they can do and
    > charge exactly what they want with their service and pricing

    structure
    > and we in return can walk away if we want and I have .

    They've changed their minds apparently (although it still says 0p/min
    on the website)....

    "Good news for our SIP/IAX (and Macintosh) users! We have managed to
    increase our capacity. Therefore (and in contrary to earlier notices)
    we will be able to support VoIP calls via alternative SIP/IAX clients.
    Click here for installation instructions."

    , May 20, 2005
  12. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Victor Delta Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:22:06 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Barstewards. Not even an email to tell you. Now that is not nice.

    > All references to 1899 and 18866 have now been completely removed from
    > all our computers ATA's and phones their company they can do and
    > charge exactly what they want with their service and pricing structure
    > and we in return can walk away if we want and I have .

    Have I missed something here? Sure, there have been some price adjustments
    in recent weeks/months but they still represent excellent value, don't they?

    A few knees jerking prematurely perhaps?

    Victor Delta, May 21, 2005
  13. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:37:00 UTC, "Victor Delta" <>
    wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:22:06 GMT, "^^artnada^^"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >>Barstewards. Not even an email to tell you. Now that is not nice.

    > > All references to 1899 and 18866 have now been completely removed from
    > > all our computers ATA's and phones their company they can do and
    > > charge exactly what they want with their service and pricing structure
    > > and we in return can walk away if we want and I have .

    > Have I missed something here? Sure, there have been some price adjustments
    > in recent weeks/months but they still represent excellent value, don't they?

    No, it's just dexter. He's the archetypal Grumpy Old (unpunctuated) Man.

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    Bob Eager, May 21, 2005
  14. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:37:00 +0100, "Victor Delta" <>
    wrote:
    >Have I missed something here? Sure, there have been some price adjustments
    >in recent weeks/months but they still represent excellent value, don't they?

    Reliability and continuity are all important in all aspects of my life
    and the 1899 and 18866 outfit have shown they are incapable of
    providing these important qualities and Sipgate has proved themselves
    to be incapable of providing continuity of service and of being 100%
    reliable .I have been a subscriber to Voipfone for over two months now
    and not once has the service from them failed and if one company can
    maintain the service they provide all others can all so or they do not
    deserve anyone's custom.

    , May 21, 2005
  15. Thus spaketh :
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:37:00 +0100, "Victor Delta" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Have I missed something here? Sure, there have been some price
    >> adjustments in recent weeks/months but they still represent
    >> excellent value, don't they?

    > Reliability and continuity are all important in all aspects of my life
    > and the 1899 and 18866 outfit have shown they are incapable of
    > providing these important qualities and Sipgate has proved themselves
    > to be incapable of providing continuity of service and of being 100%
    > reliable .I have been a subscriber to Voipfone for over two months now
    > and not once has the service from them failed and if one company can
    > maintain the service they provide all others can all so or they do not
    > deserve anyone's custom.

    1899 and 18866 have been extremely reliable.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 21, 2005
  16. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 21:11:25 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <> wrote:
    >1899 and 18866 have been extremely reliable.

    You mean one minute free calls via 1899 the next use only their
    softwhere the next 1 p pr minute via any device, if you call that
    reliable I don't. I like to pick up a phone and make a call without
    having to check a website to see what I am going to be charged for the
    call first !! .

    , May 21, 2005
  17. Ron Chew wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:37:00 +0100, "Victor Delta" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Have I missed something here? Sure, there have been some price adjustments
    >>in recent weeks/months but they still represent excellent value, don't they?

    > Reliability and continuity are all important in all aspects of my life

    Except yer name, eh Ron?

    --
    Andrew Coates

    Andrew Coates, May 22, 2005
  18. wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 21:11:25 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <> wrote:
    > >1899 and 18866 have been extremely reliable.

    > You mean one minute free calls via 1899 the next use only their
    > softwhere the next 1 p pr minute via any device, if you call that
    > reliable I don't. I like to pick up a phone and make a call without
    > having to check a website to see what I am going to be charged for the
    > call first !! .

    Never used them but it sounds to me like they charge what they want
    when they want and like you say it's no good if you have to check
    their prices before each call that don't give you much confidence in
    the service

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, May 26, 2005
  19. Thus spaketh Mathew Curtis:
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 May 2005 21:11:25 +0100, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> 1899 and 18866 have been extremely reliable.

    >> You mean one minute free calls via 1899 the next use only their
    >> softwhere the next 1 p pr minute via any device, if you call that
    >> reliable I don't. I like to pick up a phone and make a call without
    >> having to check a website to see what I am going to be charged for
    >> the call first !! .

    > Never used them but it sounds to me like they charge what they want
    > when they want and like you say it's no good if you have to check
    > their prices before each call that don't give you much confidence in
    > the service
    >
    > Mat

    It's because they buy in spare capacity, so the costs to them change from
    month to month.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 26, 2005
  20. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Andrew Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Mathew Curtis:
    >> wrote:
    >>> You mean one minute free calls via 1899 the next use only their
    >>> softwhere the next 1 p pr minute via any device, if you call that
    >>> reliable I don't. I like to pick up a phone and make a call without
    >>> having to check a website to see what I am going to be charged for
    >>> the call first !! .

    >> Never used them but it sounds to me like they charge what they want
    >> when they want and like you say it's no good if you have to check
    >> their prices before each call that don't give you much confidence in
    >> the service
    >>
    >> Mat

    > It's because they buy in spare capacity, so the costs to them change
    > from month to month.

    To a point your observation is true; their prices do change rather more
    frequently than BT for example. However, you do get an announcement each
    time you make a call, so there is no real need to check in advance; just
    hang up before the call is answered if you don't like the price.

    Andrew, May 26, 2005