Re: 1782 error

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Aug 27, 2010.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    > I have a Compaq deskpro computer with a 6 gig hard drive. It is a pentium
    > III cpu 500 meg. OS XP pro. When I first bought this used computer the
    > OS was win 98 2nd edition.
    > I stumbled across an update that upgraded my bios from rom family 686t3
    > dated feb, 1999 to aug, 1999. It still limited my hard drive capacity.

    ==========
    DOES the PC still work with the old drive ?
    <you haven't told us that yet.>
    Has this been running ok and now you just want a bigger drive ?
    if you add this as SECOND disk , still the error ?

    If this PC was built in 1998 ( if 1999 BIOS was an update) think of the
    advances in PC technology since 1998. The PC might not even be able to talk
    the controller for a large drive. It wasn't until 1998 or so that UltraDMA
    and ATAPI became standards . If the CPU / motherboard ONLY supports a 20gb
    drive, instead of 1 - 40gb, get 2 - 20gb drives. Although ANY disk you find
    that it 'that small' is going to be old and maybe getting unreliable.

    If max was 20gb, assume it can't take bigger ( or they would have sold it
    with bigger). If max was 20gb probably doesn't not have circuitry to
    support 40gb. Like odometer on car - if only 5 digits can only count as high
    as 99999 no matter how long the car lasts , how far it travels. If you try
    to install 7 digit odometer it won't fit - so you have to live with 5
    digitis

    - Bobb -, Aug 27, 2010