Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Sandworm wrote:
    > Hey there guys,
    >
    > Just wanted to let you know that with the passing score
    > of 796 out of god know's (what the max is that is) on the
    > 70-224 this morning I am now a newly christened (I broke
    > the bottle of champagne over my skull, ahhh that feels
    > better) MCSE in W2K.

    Congrats, of course!

    > So hey Frisbee, need a new Jr. Admin in the Orlando area?

    I'm actually a couple hours north of there in Gainesville. Not sure what
    the job market is for admins hereabouts.

    BTW, "the diagnosis" came yesterday.

    3.5 friggin' years of evaluations.

    And they tell us what everyone else up until now had discounted.

    Both of my boys are autistic.

    High-functioning (not Asperger's, though).

    They actually have high average IQ's in their non-verbal testing with only
    one point difference between them.

    Now at least since we have an "official" label, we can get the services we
    need.

    There's going to be further testing done to attempt to determine the cause
    of the autism, but it's likely they won't find anything. They're scheduling
    MRI's for both. Twin B (Dylan) had an MRI three years ago, but this will be
    Twin A's (Dustin's) first. They're also planning on doing more genetic
    testing.

    Good news is that they will continue to get speech and occupational, and
    probably physical therapy now, and will be getting aides in school. They've
    had aides up until now anyway, but it was probably going to stop in 1st
    grade without the diagnosis.

    My dad winters in Kissimmee, so maybe when he comes back down again in the
    fall, I might make a point to meet up with you and your family when I go
    down to visit him.

    --
    Fris "Dad of the Disc Golf Twins" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    Certaholics
    =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=, Jun 2, 2004

  2. ----- Frisbee® wrote: ----

    <snip> comments inline from this point Fris.
    > So hey Frisbee, need a new Jr. Admin in the Orlando area

    >>> I'm actually a couple hours north of there in Gainesville. Not sure wha
    >>> the job market is for admins hereabouts

    Thanks for the tip, I'm sending stuff out on Monster right now
    and upgrading my hard copy for mailing and interviews. I also have a
    couple of people I know in the industry here in town so I'm gonna
    be giving them my resume as well since they told me to give them
    a copy so they can drop them off and put in a good word with
    their HR people. So hopefully all goes well.

    >>> BTW, "the diagnosis" came yesterday

    >>> 3.5 friggin' years of evaluations

    Yeah, Dr's seem to be slow as erosion except when it come
    to billing you huh.

    >>> And they tell us what everyone else up until now had discounted

    >>> Both of my boys are autistic

    At least now you know, it's alot easier to get therapies and treatmen
    plans going now that we know what your dealing with. We saw Rober
    (the boy with autism I told you about in my neighborhood) yesterda
    while he was riding his bike. Did you know that the Elk's provide a
    free Physical Therapy program for disabled children by the way?

    >>> High-functioning (not Asperger's, though)

    >>> They actually have high average IQ's in their non-verbal testing with onl
    >>> one point difference between them

    >>> Now at least since we have an "official" label, we can get the services w
    >>> need

    >>>There's going to be further testing done to attempt to determine the caus
    >>>of the autism, but it's likely they won't find anything. They're schedulin
    >>>MRI's for both. Twin B (Dylan) had an MRI three years ago, but this will b
    >>>Twin A's (Dustin's) first. They're also planning on doing more geneti
    >>>testing

    >>>Good news is that they will continue to get speech and occupational, an
    >>>probably physical therapy now, and will be getting aides in school. They'v
    >>>had aides up until now anyway, but it was probably going to stop in 1s
    >>>grade without the diagnosis

    Good deal, by the way I never heard back from you before, have you eve
    heard of the McKay Scholarship Program here in FL? The state will give yo
    the money to send them to private school. That was one of the things I was
    gonna tell you about, as well as the Elk's Therapy program. So if you didn't
    know about it you can get the info (re: McKay) from your kid's public school as well.

    >>>My dad winters in Kissimmee, so maybe when he comes back down again in th
    >>>fall, I might make a point to meet up with you and your family when I g
    >>>down to visit him

    Sounds cool (of course since we're in humidity hell that's figuratively cool), actuall
    the CC that's near my house here has a disc golf course right out back that is
    almost never used, so we can put it to work!!

    So I hope to hear from you again, when your coming down send me a note a
    sandworm999 at hotmail dot com so we can try to work it out.

    C-ya,
    Ed.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?=, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Sandworm wrote:

    > Good deal, by the way I never heard back from you before, have you
    > ever
    > heard of the McKay Scholarship Program here in FL? The state will
    > give you
    > the money to send them to private school. That was one of the things
    > I was
    > gonna tell you about, as well as the Elk's Therapy program. So if
    > you didn't
    > know about it you can get the info (re: McKay) from your kid's public
    > school as well.

    Whoa! The McKay thing is a great find! I've passed a link to their web
    page to my wife. We've often wanted to send the boys to a private school,
    but could never afford it. This seems to make that possible now.

    > Sounds cool (of course since we're in humidity hell that's
    > figuratively cool), actually the CC that's near my house here has a
    > disc golf course right out back that is
    > almost never used, so we can put it to work!!!

    I've played Barnett Park, Turkey Lake, and the UCF courses. Perhaps yours
    is one I'm not aware of.

    > So I hope to hear from you again, when your coming down send me a
    > note at
    > sandworm999 at hotmail dot com so we can try to work it out.

    e-mail addy archived for later use...

    btw, I'm billh at dasi-software dot com

    --
    Fris "McKay rocks" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=, Jun 2, 2004
  4. ----- Frisbee® wrote: ----

    >>Whoa! The McKay thing is a great find! I've passed a link to their we
    >>page to my wife. We've often wanted to send the boys to a private school
    >>but could never afford it. This seems to make that possible now

    Cool, glad to hear the info was new and of some use to you and the wife!
    I have done my mitzpha for the day then.

    Talk to ya later,
    Ed.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?=, Jun 2, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Chris Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    I've been an avid lurker (and rare poster)of this ng for
    several years and your post about your boys really hit
    home. My daughter was also diagnosed with high
    functioning autism (PDD-NOS). It's really becoming an
    epidemic in this country, yet it doesn't receive nearly
    the attention it deserves. Getting the label, as you say,
    will allow you to get the help your boys need, which is
    the important thing. Besides that, it's useless and will
    likely change as time goes by. In our case, it has
    allowed my daughter to be bussed to an out of district
    school that specializes in children with ASDs (Autism
    Spectrum Disorders), and has been just awesome for her.
    It's a good thing, too because the special needs classes
    in our local school really suck the big one. Good luck to
    you.

    Chris
    MCSA, A+, Net+

    Chris, Jun 7, 2004
  6. Re: OT response to Frisbee

    Chris wrote:
    > I've been an avid lurker (and rare poster)of this ng for
    > several years and your post about your boys really hit
    > home.

    Well post some more! I can use all the help I can get!

    > My daughter was also diagnosed with high
    > functioning autism (PDD-NOS).

    Yes, PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified for
    those in here who though that might have been a certification), is what the
    boys were diagnosed with at about the age of three. How old is your
    daughter, and how is she coming along?

    > It's really becoming an
    > epidemic in this country, yet it doesn't receive nearly
    > the attention it deserves.

    They still cite rather low instances of autism. Something like one in five
    hundred. While they do not think (yet) that it's genetic in my boys, my
    thinking is that it would almost have to be. They are not identical, but
    fraternal (I'm 99.99% sure of that, they've not been tested), so the odds of
    TWO brothers being autistic and it not being genetic, when the odds are one
    in five hundred... twice?

    > Getting the label, as you say,
    > will allow you to get the help your boys need, which is
    > the important thing.

    Absolutely. And with my salary, I'll take all the free help I can get.

    > Besides that, it's useless and will
    > likely change as time goes by.

    I'm hoping it will change as time goes by. If it is indeed autism, I
    realize that they will be autistic for the rest of their lives, but I want
    to believe that they, as "high functioning" will be able to lead fairly
    normal lives.

    > In our case, it has
    > allowed my daughter to be bussed to an out of district
    > school that specializes in children with ASDs (Autism
    > Spectrum Disorders), and has been just awesome for her.

    Sandworm introduced me to the McKay scholarship, but so far my wife has been
    ice-cold to it. We're in a pretty decent school right now, and we don't
    know that there's any better services in any other school around here,
    public or private, to justify moving them at this time. Were we to go with
    the scholarship, however, we'd have to provide the transportation for the
    boys, and that's already an issue, since I don't drive. There's also the
    matter that the scholarship only pays the equivalent of what the public
    school system would save (in taxpayer dollars) for the boys to not attend
    public school, which would probably provide a "discount" on most private
    schools, and not pay the full tuition amounts. See: "We're strapped" I
    wonder if there is a school close to here (Gainesville, FL) that specializes
    in ASD's. You're quite lucky to have one near you.

    > It's a good thing, too because the special needs classes
    > in our local school really suck the big one. Good luck to
    > you.

    Has the ASD specialty school helped your daughter in your opinion?

    Don't be a stranger... post.

    You, me, and Sandworm could start a special club just for IT Dads who have
    kids with special needs...

    --
    Fris "IT Dads, Inc." bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jun 8, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Chris Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    >How old is your
    >daughter, and how is she coming along?

    My daughter is 5. We suspected there was a problem when
    she didn't speak at around 2 - 2 1/2. We had a few months
    of "Early Intervention" through our town, until she turned
    3 when she entered the special school. At first we
    thought she was apraxic, (not autistic - but where the
    signals from the brain to the mouth/jaw just aren't
    happening. A child can learn to overcome apraxia through
    hard work.) But more testing (and just plain common-
    sense) lead to the conclusion that she has high-
    functioning autistism.

    >They still cite rather low instances of autism.

    Something like one in five
    >hundred.

    ....and in 4 out of 5 cases they are boys.

    > While they do not think (yet) that it's genetic in my

    boys, my
    >thinking is that it would almost have to be. They are

    not identical, but
    >fraternal (I'm 99.99% sure of that, they've not been

    tested), so the odds of
    >TWO brothers being autistic and it not being genetic,

    when the odds are one
    >in five hundred... twice?

    This is a big grey area. The fact is nobody really knows
    what causes autism. Genetic, environmental... I've heard
    recently that they might have isolated an "autism gene",
    but after initially hearing about it, I haven't heard
    anything since.

    My wife and I go through periods of questioning ourselves -
    what could have went wrong? I blame myself because prior
    to us having any kids, I dabbled quite a bit in
    electronics, spending many late nights breathing in solder
    fumes (lead). Also in renovating our house, which was
    built in 1929 I almost certainly released lead-based dust
    into the air. My wife thinks it's her, because she has a
    nephew with PDD, and thinks there's a genetic link.

    I also have a 7 year old son, who is as bright as any 7
    year old on the planet. He's always explaining to my wife
    how to browse the internet and retrieve her e-mail and why
    it's important not to just turn off the power strip on the
    inkjet printer because it doesn't shut down properly. His
    latest thing is every night after work him and I sit on
    the front porch and he grills me about the difference
    between a virus, worm, trojan horse... Then we move into
    firewalls, etc... It's really quite ridiculous explaining
    this stuff to a 7 year old, ...and him getting it!

    >Absolutely. And with my salary, I'll take all the free

    help I can get.

    I hear you. My town spends upwards of $60/year to send my
    daughter out of district. I could NEVER aford that!

    >I'm hoping it will change as time goes by. If it is

    indeed autism, I
    >realize that they will be autistic for the rest of their

    lives, but I want
    >to believe that they, as "high functioning" will be able

    to lead fairly
    >normal lives.

    Have you heard of / read any of Temple Grandin? She is a
    Phd, and also autistic. She designs equipment for the
    livestock industry. (One third of all systems in the
    US). I highly recommend checking her out - it's very
    interesting to hear what it's like from the "other side".
    She has excerpts from her books on her site.

    www.grandin.com

    >Sandworm introduced me to the McKay scholarship,

    Never heard of it - I'll check it out.

    >Has the ASD specialty school helped your daughter in your

    opinion?

    Immensely. It's the best thing that's happened to her.
    (aside from my wife, who's the best!)

    >You, me, and Sandworm could start a special club just for

    IT Dads who have
    >kids with special needs...

    I'd be happy to exchange e-mail addresses with you. It's
    always nice to have people in similar situations to bounce
    stuff off of. Also, to exchange info/references...

    Chris
    IT Dads, Inc.
    Member #3
    Chris, Jun 8, 2004
  8. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Chris Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    >I hear you. My town spends upwards of $60/year to send
    my
    >daughter out of district. I could NEVER aford that!

    Oops, that should be $60K/year!

    $60/year I could handle!
    Chris, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Re: OT response to Frisbee

    Chris wrote:
    >> I hear you. My town spends upwards of $60/year to send my
    >> daughter out of district. I could NEVER aford that!

    > Oops, that should be $60K/year!
    >
    > $60/year I could handle!

    I was gonna say... Man, I thought I was poor.

    --
    Fris "So your daughter is attending Harvard?" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jun 8, 2004
  10. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Chris Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    There is a law in NJ (where we live) that says that a
    child MUST be able to receive an "appropriate education"
    and if a town cannot provide one in district, they are
    required to bus the student out of district to a town that
    can provide an appropriate education. I'm sure a big
    chunk of the $60K is spent on transportation (1 hr ride
    each way).

    That's why we have to fight with our case worker every
    year at the IEP meeting (Individualized Education Plan) to
    get them to agree to continue allowing her to go to this
    school. Hence, this is where the "labels" come in. I
    don't care what you call her as long as she gets what she
    needs.

    I looked at the McKay Scholarship info and apparently FL
    doesn't have a similar law?

    Chris
    IT Dads, Inc.
    Member #3
    Chris, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Re: OT response to Frisbee

    Chris wrote:
    > There is a law in NJ (where we live) that says that a
    > child MUST be able to receive an "appropriate education"
    > and if a town cannot provide one in district, they are
    > required to bus the student out of district to a town that
    > can provide an appropriate education. I'm sure a big
    > chunk of the $60K is spent on transportation (1 hr ride
    > each way).
    >
    > That's why we have to fight with our case worker every
    > year at the IEP meeting (Individualized Education Plan) to
    > get them to agree to continue allowing her to go to this
    > school. Hence, this is where the "labels" come in. I
    > don't care what you call her as long as she gets what she
    > needs.
    >
    > I looked at the McKay Scholarship info and apparently FL
    > doesn't have a similar law?
    >
    > Chris
    > IT Dads, Inc.
    > Member #3

    I'm pretty sure Florida does have a similar law.

    I just don't know if there's a school that specializes in helping autistic
    children or not anywhere near here. Looks like I'm going to need to do a
    lot of research.

    --
    Fris "google is my friend" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jun 8, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Chris Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    >Looks like I'm going to need to do a
    >lot of research.

    If you like, I can post (or e-mail) some autism links
    later. My wife has a bunch of good ones at home. (I'm
    posting from work!)

    But, then again, any capable Googler can find tons with
    little effort...

    Chris
    Member Google 101
    Chris, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Re: OT response to Frisbee

    Chris wrote:
    >> Looks like I'm going to need to do a
    >> lot of research.

    > If you like, I can post (or e-mail) some autism links
    > later. My wife has a bunch of good ones at home. (I'm
    > posting from work!)
    >
    > But, then again, any capable Googler can find tons with
    > little effort...
    >
    > Chris
    > Member Google 101

    I have been re-familiarizing myself quite a bit on autism, starting with
    posting in alt.support.autism. Already gotten a lot of info from a lot of
    people in there, but always open to more. I'd be more than happy to receive
    any links you and your wife wish to share, nothing better than to learn from
    other people's experiences. My e-mail is billh at dasi-software dot com

    I'm sure you, me, and Ed are probably boring a lot of people at best, and
    annoying them at worst. Hell, maybe I'll start a IT Dads (or some variant
    thereof) Yahoo group so we three can discuss these things without bothering
    others in here...

    --
    Fris "Coming to a browser near you" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jun 8, 2004
  14. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Chris Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    >I'm sure you, me, and Ed are probably boring a lot of
    people at best, and
    >annoying them at worst.

    Agreed. Sorry, gang.

    I'll meet up with you at alt.support.autism...
    Chris, Jun 8, 2004
  15. =?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=

    Consultant Guest

    Re: OT response to Frisbee

    just have chat on messenger, come on guys

    Consultant, Jun 8, 2004